News Jackson Topine takes Bulldogs to court

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Upset? I'm laughing my ass off at all of this. So much self righteousness from a range of people who weren't there, selectively pull out whatever quote fits their world view and therefore feel entitled to pile on a kid with mental health issues who in all likelihood fckd up (a 21 yr old) and is probably getting shit advice.

I'd be asking why is everyone else so upset. The dogs insurance will cover any payout if it happens. We've gotten bad publicity for years over small shit so how is this any different. And the team is playing better at the moment. So what exactly is everyone so jacked up on?
You're doing the same thing, just holding a different point of view.

He is a grown man, about to be 23, who has lodged a claim against the club that so many people here have a genuine love for. Of course they are going to defend their club. Most people arent upset, they actually find it comical. This is a professional RL player who wrestled 30 people for 30 seconds according to the reports. That is 15 minutes of wrestling.

He refused to speak to the NRL last year when the reports broke, and was named 18th man the very next day. So did he put his mental health issues on pause? or like most people in these incidents, they had no issue until a lawyer approached him and told him they could get him a few million dollars for a 10% cut.

He clearly was on the outer, and this is a cash grab.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
What anyone gets out of punishment? Litigation? Sorry not sure what you mean not trying to be a smart arse.

I don't take much credence in anything embellishment John's has to say, especially on the subject of humiliation.
The idea of meeting standards. But if the punishment does not fit the crime it counters what its trying to achieve.

Johns quotes were in August last year and thought it was fair. Pre court case. So without all this extra noise. And a few others have come out recently as well. Do they really know what they are talking about - no idea. But if we're bringing ex-players views into this then its all on the table.

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Law says he may have a case, but it appears doesnt pass the pub test but hey on the plus he will be a young rich kid and no credability ... or is this a plus.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
1st post.

In the statement of claim, it is alleged that Topine had no idea why he was being punished – he thought he had arrived 20 minutes early, as he didn’t need strapping prior to the session.
“The plaintiff arrived late to training in circumstances where he made a mistake in relation to reading the training schedule for 18 July 2023 of “Arrive/ strapping 8am” then “Wrestle 8.30am”, the statement reads.
“On arrival, he greeted numerous players and staff. He was available and prepared for the commencement of the scheduled wrestling training at 8.30am.
“After completing the scheduled wrestling training (which was undertaken by all players in the Bulldogs player roster present over an hour and a half) from approximately 8.30am until 10.00am, the second defendant (Touma) directed the plaintiff (Topine), as a condition of his employment, to engage in individual wrestling match-ups with between 30 to 35 players in the Bulldogs NRL Player Roster (the “wrestling direction”)

Thanks @Dogbul
Bro that's a cop out BS excuse, it says arrive/strapping 8am, end of. Is he a 2yr old that can't read? Complete BS cop out excuse for arriving late.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Quoting from court documents, The Australian reported:

" Topine’s legal team says he was a mere “eight to ten minutes late” for the wrestling session, having misread the day’s training schedule. The player actually thought he was arriving 20 minutes early. "

Thanks @wendog33

The Daily Mail reports:

"Ex-Bulldogs star Jackson Topine has hit the NRL club with a bombshell $4million lawsuit alleging he was assaulted by up to 35 of his teammates and was deprived of his liberty during a brutal punishment handed out in July last year."

A FG squad holds 30 players and we all know what our injury toll was last year. Where did we find 35 players to wrestle?
To accuse 30 players of assault lol. Wouldn't he have to prove individually that each one assaulted him.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The idea of meeting standards. But if the punishment does not fit the crime it counters what its trying to achieve.

Johns quotes were in August last year and thought it was fair. Pre court case. So without all this extra noise. And a few others have come out recently as well. Do they really know what they are talking about - no idea. But if we're bringing ex-players views into this then its all on the table.
I think the punishment perfectly fits the crime. He was about 10 minutes late on wrestling day . . . And received about 10 minutes extra wrestling

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score

If it counters what it's trying to achieve then I would say the current playing group would agree the punishment fit the crime otherwise they would not have improved significantly.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bro that's a cop out BS excuse, it says arrive/strapping 8am, end of. Is he a 2yr old that can't read? Complete BS cop out excuse for arriving late.
Topine did not know he was late, misinterpreting the schedule listing of “Arrive/strapping 8am” then “Wrestle 8.30am”.

It does say he misinterpreted the schedule . . . Maybe it was written in Cantonese :tearsofjoy:

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Liam Knight is an example, I bet there have been physical punishments to others too
On Liam Knight, disregarding his form whether good or not, the fact he's been able to overcome his adversity and go through rehab. Good on him taking it upon himself to correct and manage a way to being a professional rugby league footballer again.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
You're doing the same thing, just holding a different point of view.

He is a grown man, about to be 23, who has lodged a claim against the club that so many people here have a genuine love for. Of course they are going to defend their club. Most people arent upset, they actually find it comical. This is a professional RL player who wrestled 30 people for 30 seconds according to the reports. That is 15 minutes of wrestling.

He refused to speak to the NRL last year when the reports broke, and was named 18th man the very next day. So did he put his mental health issues on pause? or like most people in these incidents, they had no issue until a lawyer approached him and told him they could get him a few million dollars for a 10% cut.

He clearly was on the outer, and this is a cash grab.
On the outer? You know he started the week before the training sess. And he lawyered up when the Dogs said see ya later, your sick leave is up and since you're not coming to training, you can fck off. And u need help 4 your mental health issues, hope you get it. Or so the statement of claim says.

Not upset at all? So when you find something comical you put shit on him, name call etc etc someone with mental health issues. Which according to the dogs insiders, his mental kicked off a few days after the training session because of..... all the negative publicity about that training session and the comments people were making. So the stuff that triggered him, 90% of this forum is doing.

Now thats comical.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
On Liam Knight, disregarding his form whether good or not, the fact he's been able to overcome his adversity and go through rehab. Good on him taking it upon himself to correct and manage a way to being a professional rugby league footballer again.
Definitely. He hasn't dropped his bundle in reggies, he has just got on with it. And hasn't been playing badly at all. Some people need the game for more than money

Last edited:

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
If it counters what it's trying to achieve then I would say the current playing group would agree the punishment fit the crime otherwise they would not have improved significantly.
or - they no longer do that level of punishment. all I can base this on (not being privy to the inner sanctum) is a hair dye is pretty light on relative to this.

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Law suite aside, it was unfortunate for Topine that when he was selected in his last couple games injuries to outside backs had him playing in the centres in sides that were being totally outclassed.

Whilst he has played a little bit of centre he was totally out of his depth in that position and his confidence would have taken a beating.

The last few years have taken their toll on a lot of our players annd coaches (and supporters ) and those that are a little mentally fragile would have been tested.

League has always been tough both physically and mentally- not everyone is cut out for it regardless of playing ability

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I have on question. If you are exhausted and spent - because you pushed and pushed with wrestling - the last several players are pretty much falling on a player absolutely spent with nothing left. You can't wrestle someone who has submitted and has no resistance. So it is very confusing to me what was actually unfolding there. I wonder how much Topine's ego was bruised more than his body and he wants to humiliate the Club because he refused to learn from his humiliation.
It's scary thinking of the physical limits, heart attack or being choked to death, etc. None of that has been mentioned and like you said he pushed and pushed - I take that as he "wrestled till the last person" and go up and went about like a normal shift finish.

Clearly his ego was bruised and wanted payback from that and payback from not being a regular first grader. People have to remember, I'm not sure how useful this is, Topine especially was one of those players some fans were really pumping up, pushing, asking for him to play first grade from waaaay earlier than that 1 week prior wrestling. Different pressures from within himself and exterior, family, fans, etc would of been on his mind, questioning and at the same time pumping him up.

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I had a mate talk me into playing some touch footy when I was 35. I protested that I wasn't fit enough. I was told if I look tired the coach will pull me off. I told him I'd play. Last time I played a team sport they just gave us oranges. Player welfare has drastically improved if hand jobs are in the table to combat fatigue.
LMFAO!

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
On the outer? You know he started the week before the training sess. And he lawyered up when the Dogs said see ya later, your sick leave is up and since you're not coming to training, you can fck off. And u need help 4 your mental health issues, hope you get it. Or so the statement of claim says.

Not upset at all? So when you find something comical you put shit on him, name call etc etc someone with mental health issues. Which according to the dogs insiders, his mental kicked off a few days after the training session because of..... all the negative publicity about that training session and the comments people were making. So the stuff that triggered him, 90% of this forum is doing.

Now thats comical.
Whats wrong with putting shit on people with mental health issues? Nothing wrong with calling him a soft cock… he is. His mental health issues are his own, and he has support to manage and deal with them. You don’t get a free ride because of mental health “issues”, which is what he’s trying to do

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Well then, its really simple. Let it go to court, let all the facts hit the table and then make judgements. Or is that too hard considering the story coming out of the Dogs was it was online comments that sent him to the mentals?

We really need to trash that r u ok thread. Appears it only counts when people agree with the circumstances.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Whats wrong with putting shit on people with mental health issues? Nothing wrong with calling him a soft cock… he is. His mental health issues are his own, and he has support to manage and deal with them. You don’t get a free ride because of mental health “issues”, which is what he’s trying to do
Because they have this nasty habit of killing themselves occasionally. I know right - its very inconsiderate.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Well then, its really simple. Let it go to court, let all the facts hit the table and then make judgements. Or is that too hard considering the story coming out of the Dogs was it was online comments that sent him to the mentals?

We really need to trash that r u ok thread. Appears it only counts when people agree with the circumstances.
You're deflecting, my one comment about him being late to training, that both the club and he himself admits (but gives a cop out excuse for) hardly relates to his mental health or the detriment to his mental health.

It wasn't his first training session at a brand new club, he was made aware that he had to turn up when the schedule said turn up.