News NRL drops referee

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
They tried everything to get the Roosters a late win over us a few years back when Barrett was coaching, in that one, both the ref and bunker allowed play on after Roosters obstructed a Bulldogs player & the only thing that saved us was Suallii’s pinky toe going into touch

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
God post Alan,

Every game has 50/50 calls, for things like:-
1. Was the ball lost in the tackle or stripped?
2. The ball goes dead. Was it by the attacking side, or did the defender knock it out at the last minute. Or did an attacking player push the defender into a Position where he touches ball.
3. Ball kicked by an attacking side. A defender is rushing up in defence, and the ball hits him. Did he play at it?

All these calls can be 50/50, if they all go one teams way, it is almost certain they will win the game, because it Can lead to a greater share of possession.

Every now and then at my Golf Course I run into Wade Graham. He knows who I support, as I have a Bulldogs golf bag. He believes that at present whoever plays best gets the rub of the green.

Our problems with referees can’t be allowed to continue. There are correct channels to go through. Hope CC and the club got a fair hearing from Maxwell and co this week. Am I confident. Not 100% sure, because I think greater forces are in play, higher up the food chain,
I've had growing suspicion about refs-NRL Admin-Gambling sponsor conspiracy for a long time. If you don't want to hear my suspicions that the NRL and gambling sponsors are in bed in fixing games to best take punters money then skip this post.

As I said, I've watched plenty of short stints of games where I see one sided refereeing. The really suspicious ones are when the confirmation bias thing goes out the window and a celler dweller gets 42 repeat sets and every 50/50 call. If I switch on a game and the Tigpies are leading by 20 against Penrith, watching for 10 minutes will probably show the referee in a Tigpies jersey. There's numerous small ways refs can impede a team.

Id really love for a forensic investigation into the flow of money to happen. I think that certain against expectations results where refs had a huge hand might coincide with occasions where say Penrith beating the Tigpies might wipe out 15000 multi bets that'd result in the gambling sponsor either making a big profit or losing a wad of money.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I've had growing suspicion about refs-NRL Admin-Gambling sponsor conspiracy for a long time. If you don't want to hear my suspicions that the NRL and gambling sponsors are in bed in fixing games to best take punters money then skip this post.

As I said, I've watched plenty of short stints of games where I see one sided refereeing. The really suspicious ones are when the confirmation bias thing goes out the window and a celler dweller gets 42 repeat sets and every 50/50 call. If I switch on a game and the Tigpies are leading by 20 against Penrith, watching for 10 minutes will probably show the referee in a Tigpies jersey. There's numerous small ways refs can impede a team.

Id really love for a forensic investigation into the flow of money to happen. I think that certain against expectations results where refs had a huge hand might coincide with occasions where say Penrith beating the Tigpies might wipe out 15000 multi bets that'd result in the gambling sponsor either making a big profit or losing a wad of money.
I would never ignore any of your posts because in a BIG MAJORITY of times they are based on common sense and you obviously have good footy knowledge.

Having been a junior league and junior rep referee albeit a long time ago, I know how difficult a job the gig is.

This experience gives me an insight as to when something is wrong.

The thought that there is betting and corruption in the game, is one I would strongly hope doesn’t happen, but unfortunately I believe you are right. Clubs are sponsored by betting agencies, even the naming of stadiums after them.

The one thing a referee can’t do is respond to crowd pressure. He has to rule on what happens in front of him. Players sometimes get in between the ref and the ball and it makes it difficult to get a clear view. That is when he hopes the touchies who are often not good enough to be in the middle,have to help him out.

My pet hate is the home ground special who gives a big penalty count in favour of the home team. Very prevalent when playing in one team cities like Brisbane, Melbourne, Newcastle, Townsville and Canberra on their home patch. You could say Dolphins are in Brisbane as well but they play half their games well away from the city.

Like you I get frustrated with the way our boys are continually on the wrong end of decisions. How did you get out of the bottom four when it is just a constant stream of decisions going against us. The Bulldogs was the only game I watched last weekend, and it will probably be the same this weekend.

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The one thing a referee can’t do is respond to crowd pressure. He has to rule on what happens in front of him. Players sometimes get in between the ref and the ball and it makes it difficult to get a clear view. That is when he hopes the touchies who are often not good enough to be in the middle,have to help him out.

My pet hate is the home ground special who gives a big penalty count in favour of the home team. Very prevalent when playing in one team cities like Brisbane, Melbourne, Newcastle, Townsville and Canberra on their home patch. You could say Dolphins are in Brisbane as well but they play half their games well away from the city.
The refereeing standards are not keeping up with the increased speed of the game and the NRL needs to take ownership.
Making last week's ref the scapegoat does not help. In fact, it discourages people from signing up.
There has never been any evidence of referee corruption. So I think it's unlikely.
Last week's shockers are probably due to other factors.
NRL needs to invest more time and money into lifting the quality of referees and rugby league grass-roots than into trying to cram journalists onto planes to Las Vegas.
What we saw last week was not acceptable.
I'm sick and tired of good games of football being ruined by third-rate adjudication.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The refereeing standards are not keeping up with the increased speed of the game and the NRL needs to take ownership.
Making last week's ref the scapegoat does not help. In fact, it discourages people from signing up.
There has never been any evidence of referee corruption. So I think it's unlikely.
Last week's shockers are probably due to other factors.
NRL needs to invest more time and money into lifting the quality of referees and rugby league grass-roots than into trying to cram journalists onto planes to Las Vegas.
What we saw last week was not acceptable.
I'm sick and tired of good games of football being ruined by third-rate adjudication.
Good post mate. While I would like to think there is no referee corruption, while ever one or more teams consistently are on the wrong end of decisions which lead to apologies, negative thoughts will always occupy the minds of fans.

If the rule makers keep speeding the game up, more officials on the field are an absolute necissity.

bulldog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The one I remember was game against St George with a few minutes to go Patten made a break passed it Idress who scored under the posts which would have won us the game but Jamie Sowed realizing he could not catch Idress deliberately backed into Patten and the ref - Clark called it as a no try obstruction ,it was plain as day for all to see on the replay even the commentators at the time were saying it was definitely a wrong decision , well Clark got dropped and Annesley again gave us a public apology but again we were duped and again it cost us 2 competition points, I think we have had mor public apologies than any other team in the history of the NRL,

It was Soward running into Eastwood before the Idris try, and it cost us the minor premiership, Hazems 300th game too, fucking cat in the hat son of a bitch milked it for all he could and Clark was happy to bend us over.

Plenty more I have in mind too, does anyone remember the major and minor infringement bullshit? I've never heard an official say it before or since but I'm pretty sure it was Bernard Sutton who made it up to deny us another win a few years ago - the specifics of the decision I don't recall unfortunately, add that to the Kasiano debacle as "unique" interpretations used to justify screwing us over.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Love that people are getting a taste of @Doogie. Awesome to watch and great entertainment.

He was kept a close guarded secret by a few on here, but unfortunately the cat is now out of the bag and everyone is basking in his stubborn glory.

Enjoy people. Enjoy lol
Cricket thread is pretty quiet to be fair.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It was Soward running into Eastwood before the Idris try, and it cost us the minor premiership, Hazems 300th game too, fucking cat in the hat son of a bitch milked it for all he could and Clark was happy to bend us over.

Plenty more I have in mind too, does anyone remember the major and minor infringement bullshit? I've never heard an official say it before or since but I'm pretty sure it was Bernard Sutton who made it up to deny us another win a few years ago - the specifics of the decision I don't recall unfortunately, add that to the Kasiano debacle as "unique" interpretations used to justify screwing us over.
That’s game I was referring to in my last post, thanks.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Haha, stop it lol
I'm at work, trying to get work done and this is in the back of my mind distracting me from my work.
I keep coming on checking to see if you still
Fighting this position.

Literally thought you would have conceded by now.
Nothing to concede. No one has put anything up except Analsley says so. And if everyone is buying that then I'm very confident that at least once in the next few weeks I will be saying...

Tickets please.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Nothing to concede. No one has put anything up except Analsley says so. And if everyone is buying that then I'm very confident that at least once in the next few weeks I will be saying...

Tickets please.
So is it a try or no?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Ziggy is a flop. I don't think I've ever seen us reffed out of a game that badly since Sutton on Good Friday.
He was so nice about it tho. Smiling assassin. Not like the Suttons who have a devilish look of glee blowing a penalty or disallowing a try or dudding us :grinning:

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Tickets please.
So yeah,
Can you confirm
Was it a try, or not a try?
Simple question.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
So is it a try or no?
@EXPLORER - all i'm going to add is this. Look at the wording. No big effort here, just first link I found on an analsley mistake google search.
Incorrect. Error. Not I think. Big difference.

And I now got a whole phone book of tickets.... :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
@EXPLORER - all i'm going to add is this. Look at the wording. No big effort here, just first link I found on an analsley mistake google search.
Incorrect. Error. Not I think. Big difference.

And I now got a whole phone book of tickets.... :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:
But you didn’t answer the question, do you think it’s a try.

Bullfrog2

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The referee should be made to clean the toilets at Bellmore this week as punishment for a bad performance.
The toilets stink just the same as his performance last week and not rewarded with a run on the line this week.
All betting agencies books should have been opened for any irregular bets laid.
Peter V should stick to horse racing.
The NRL stinks, bought my Red V Swans membership today.