$7 Million

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We've seen numerous reports of the club having "as much as $3 million in cap space".. Who knows if this is a realistic figure or if it's a poor guess by the media..

Every single one of these players contracts for 2021 were handed out by the current regime so they can't point the finger at anyone else... The constant narrative of a war chest or the great work by the club to create cap space doesn't really hold water if we need about eight to ten players and only have $3 million to spend.

Taking Foran, Tolman, CHN, Cogger, Sue, Chrichton, Okunbur, Holland and Elliott out of the equation as they are off contract and adding Thompson, ask yourself if you were building a squad from scratch, do you think the players below are worth 70% of your cap? Where has the money gone?

Will Hopoate
Josh Jackson
Luke Thompson
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
Dylan Napa
Lachlan Lewis
Reimis Smith
Jeremy Marshall-King
Joe Stimson
Nick Meaney
Raymond Faitala-Mariner
Okhahifi Ogden
Jake Averillo
Renouf To'omaga
Brandon Wakeham
Isaiah Taas
Sione Katoa
Chris Smith
Dean Britt

Last edited:

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Is Lachlan Lewis really on $350k a season?
That's what I heard, if he's on $350k then anything is possible.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Over to you mate @bradyk
Would you be worried if we only had $3 million to spend with how many holes we still have in the squad?

Would you agree that those 19 or so players shouldn't equate to anything close to $7 million?

Again, hopefully the true available cap space figure is way higher. But if it's not then alarm bells should be ringing that our cap space is being misused all over again.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Is Lachlan Lewis really on $350k a season?
That's what I heard, if he's on $350k then anything is possible.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was a little more.
The club should be shopping guys like him to free up more space. Replace guys like Lewis with a minimum wage player and that's an extra 250k or more. But finding another club to pay his full contract won't be easy.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Ben the ‘constant narrative’ is the media and TK members throwing darts and not much else.

I was at a member function last year where Andrew Hill made it clear to all present that the club would never discuss any player or position salary and that numbers thrown up in various circles are usually wrong.

Not to speak negatively of your thread but there could be a million guesses at the cap composition but the truth is it won’t ever be known externally and even then known only by a select few who need to know.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We've seen numerous reports of the club having "as much as $3 million in cap space".. Who knows if this is a realistic figure or if it's a poor guess by the media..

You'd hope that it was more than $3 million in cap space because we sure don't have $7 million in talent with the players listed below.

Every single one of these players contracts for 2021 were handed out by the current regime so they can't point the finger at anyone else... The constant narrative of a war chest or the great work by the club to create cap space doesn't really hold water when we need about eight to ten players and only have $3 million to spend.

Taking Foran, Tolman, CHN, Cogger, Sue, Chrichton, Okunbur, Holland and Elliott out of the equation as they are off contract and adding Thompson, ask yourself if you were building a squad from scratch, do you think the players below are worth 70% of your cap? Where has the money gone?

Will Hopoate
Josh Jackson
Luke Thompson
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
Dylan Napa
Lachlan Lewis
Reimis Smith
Jeremy Marshall-King
Joe Stimson
Nick Meaney
Raymond Faitala-Mariner
Okhahifi Ogden
Jake Averillo
Renouf To'omaga
Brandon Wakeham
Sione Katoa
Chris Smith
Dean Britt
personally I think we are in cattle poo, Hoppa, Josh, Thompson, DWZ, Napa Stimson RFM, would not be on peanuts, we also have to factor in the fact that the club will have to update the contracts of Averillo, RT and possibly Wakeham, before they start kicking stones.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ben the ‘constant narrative’ is the media and TK members throwing darts and not much else.

I was at a member function last year where Andrew Hill made it clear to all present that the club would never discuss any player or position salary and that numbers thrown up in various circles are usually wrong.

Not to speak negatively of your thread but there could be a million guesses at the cap composition but the truth is it won’t ever be known externally and even then known only by a select few who need to know.
I agree with that Dinkum. It's all speculation. And I hope the actual figure is much higher.

But if the real figure is closer to $3 million then the $4.5-$5 million it should be then that would be hugely concerning as $3 million sounds like a lot, but it doesn't go far when stretched across 10 or more players.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
personally I think we are in cattle poo, Hoppa, Josh, Thompson, DWZ, Napa Stimson RFM, would not be on peanuts, we also have to factor in the fact that the club will have to update the contracts of Averillo, RT and possibly Wakeham, before they start kicking stones.
That's the worry.. Between Jackson, Napa, Hoppa and DWZ I'd say that's $2 million right there. Napa is a complete waste of money and thankfully is off contract at the end of next year.

Re-signing Jacko for three more years at roughly 600k is dubious at best. That's rep player money and he hasn't played like a rep player for several seasons.

Extending Averillo further has to be done as soon as possible before his value sky rockets and his head gets turned by the Roosters, Souths etc..

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Every single one of these players contracts for 2021 were handed out by the current regime so they can't point the finger at anyone else... The constant narrative of a war chest or the great work by the club to create cap space doesn't really hold water if we need about eight to ten players and only have $3 million to spend.

Will Hopoate
Josh Jackson
Luke Thompson
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
Dylan Napa
Lachlan Lewis
Reimis Smith
Jeremy Marshall-King
Joe Stimson
Nick Meaney
Raymond Faitala-Mariner
Okhahifi Ogden
Jake Averillo
Renouf To'omaga
Brandon Wakeham
Isaiah Taas
Sione Katoa
Chris Smith
Dean Britt
Would you guys have money still tied up paying players you've moved on - Woods, Klemmer, Reynolds etc?

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
As posted elsewhere;

Our first Graders From what I know this year per annum.

hoppa - 600k
DWZ - 600k
Holland -550k
Meaney -350k
Foran -1.2mil (backended)
Napa-650k
Jackson-750k
Elliott-500k
Britt - 250k
Lewis- 350k
Tolman -500k (backended)

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Would you be worried if we only had $3 million to spend with how many holes we still have in the squad?

Would you agree that those 19 or so players shouldn't equate to anything close to $7 million?

Again, hopefully the true available cap space figure is way higher. But if it's not then alarm bells should be ringing that our cap space is being misused all over again.
I wouldn’t say I’m worried. It’s concerning but largely unavoidable given our situation. I’d also be careful going on newspaper figures for what we pay our players and what we have left. I’ve seen contracts and figures quoted in the media can be way off. I want to see the board and club do more but I don’t recall seeing many threads like this when this mess was being caused and we were paying around 6 players at a time to play for other clubs

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Would you guys have money still tied up paying players you've moved on - Woods, Klemmer, Reynolds etc?
We definitely didn’t pay Reynolds and there is debate about the rest. I can’t remember off the top of my head if we are still paying Mbye for this year still or was it last year. Someone will remember

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The good thing with us is half the squad is off contract this season and the other half by next. So it will be a dream come true for any potential coach.

you telling them besides Jackson, Stimson, Thompson and zelezniak it’s up to you.

The downside might be we viewed DWZ as a fullback. I’d shudder to think what we paid for him. But in terms of cap space and roster spots we won’t have a problem. And you’d almost clear 17-20 spots. Not many deserve new contracts. But then it comes down to how easy it will be to fill these positions.

If we can keep our talented juniors (thinking doorey, katoa, Tass, schoup) wakeman, averillo. You’d have maybe 10 players on smaller contracts. So in effect with the 4 players under contract you’d need maybe 4-5 stars and 10 role players.

What worries me is if we give 1-2 year extensions to most of the team because we have no one with a vision on what players to get or what improvements are required and the rebuild is delayed for another year or 2.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I agree with that Dinkum. It's all speculation. And I hope the actual figure is much higher.

But if the real figure is closer to $3 million then the $4.5-$5 million it should be then that would be hugely concerning as $3 million sounds like a lot, but it doesn't go far when stretched across 10 or more players.
You’re right, which is why I think you’re wrong (if you get my drift) :-).

I personally think the number is higher based on a back of the beer coaster calculation but going back to my original post I don’t and very few others actually know the truth.

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I wouldn’t say I’m worried. It’s concerning but largely unavoidable given our situation. I’d also be careful going on newspaper figures for what we pay our players and what we have left. I’ve seen contracts and figures quoted in the media can be way off. I want to see the board and club do more but I don’t recall seeing many threads like this when this mess was being caused and we were paying around 6 players at a time to play for other clubs
Fair enough. I definitely don't take those figures as gospel and know how inaccurate they can be sometimes. Other times they're closer to the mark. We'll see what the reality of the situation is when the signings for 2021 are finalised.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You’re right, which is why I think you’re wrong (if you get my drift) :-).

I personally think the number is higher based on a back of the beer coaster calculation but going back to my original post I and very few others actually know.
Haha. Well hopefully they're managing the cap better than it appears. Speculation will always be rife when there's so much uncertainty and conjecture. The club would go a long way to easing those fears with a strong recruitment drive and some positive announcements. Hopefully that's what happens as there is no excuse for anything less.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
LOLLLL I hate you! the headline is misleading. I was genuinely excited when reading that thinking WOW that's the amount we have available to spend.