So what up with that Crichton signing? Must read.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn’t he have a stint with us in the forwards too?? Definitely a metre eater but unfortunately couldn’t defend in the forwards lol
Yeah coming on in the middle third think he scored a match winner in one game I liked him but the game evolved

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree top bloke. Might not have that NRL gig for much longer however, likely going to be lots of cuts in those educational and development roles - so glad to hear his main business is going well.
It was only here and there and working on a focus group for nz and pacific island players

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I am. No job and too much ice. Does things to you.
But that's totally beside the point I'm making.

I have grave concerns about our decision making skills based on the evidence I provided.

there are soooooo many young wingers coming through the system,our system even. And none should be signed on three year deals.
You sign guys like Josh Papalii on three year deals. NOT backup wingers.

backuo wingers you keep hungry on one year deals,perhaps two years if they have a bit of spice to them.
But dime a dozen and all that.

how can some of you not see that? We gave away control over him.

same with Lichaa. No one at all was chasing the guy when Des smartly discarded him. We rewarded him with a two year deal instead of one?
How does a player go from not being re signed to TWO? That means one administration is really off the mark in that decision process. And guess which one became true in the end? No surprise.
I understand the point you are trying to make, but Crighton was always a back up signing for NSW Cup, never meant to play FG except in an emergency. Signing him for 3 yrs just means we don't need to look for another backup for 3 yrs.

At the end of the day our backup wingers will always be inconsequential so why not sign him on 3 yrs and that is just one less thing we need to worry about.

Liccha on the other hand showed potential and then just let us down. Biggest pricktease on Canterbury Rd. He was signed for better things that just never happened.

Whether that was Desball or his own insecurities in his head we will never know and we are better off without him.

Hope the job hunt goes well and I would tell you to stay off the ice but in truth it makes you a funny bastard so I am kind of torn.:-):-):-)

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I am. No job and too much ice. Does things to you.
But that's totally beside the point I'm making.

I have grave concerns about our decision making skills based on the evidence I provided.

there are soooooo many young wingers coming through the system,our system even. And none should be signed on three year deals.
You sign guys like Josh Papalii on three year deals. NOT backup wingers.

backuo wingers you keep hungry on one year deals,perhaps two years if they have a bit of spice to them.
But dime a dozen and all that.

how can some of you not see that? We gave away control over him.

same with Lichaa. No one at all was chasing the guy when Des smartly discarded him. We rewarded him with a two year deal instead of one?
How does a player go from not being re signed to TWO? That means one administration is really off the mark in that decision process. And guess which one became true in the end? No surprise.
Lichaa had three unexpectedly good games when he was halfway out the door. A huge number of people on here at the time thought that it was a sign that Hasler was using him the wrong way and he got another chance to stink the team up. His re-signing was met with happiness by many who thought his ability to run from dummy half over three games made up for the fact that he couldn't pass from dummy half without taking a few steps towards the bloke he was passing to. It was a poor decision. But at least he's gone now.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Crichton was signed for 3 years, signed before he made his NRL debut at the Panthers and started Round 1 in 2019. That tells me he wasn't signed as a back up.

It's a failed signing for sure.
i could have sworn we signed him after he played a handful of games... cant say i was thrilled with the signing, if the guy was alot taller and threat in the air i think hed be great, happy to have him around as a backup

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Glad to see someone else on here who thinks Hoppa isn't good for us.

Would like to get Ricky Stuart as coach for 2021.

Has experience, an eye for talent, inventive, passionate and as an ex Dogs player a chance of being considered as we do seem to favour ex players as coach.

Don't know how long he signed at the Raiders for or if he wants to come, but lets face it contracts can be broken and he worth a go at trying to entice.

As for Crichton, don't know how much we paid for him (hopefully not much as he is a backup player at the moment) but if this season gets going again Pay will select him on the wing so we will see.

Recruitment problem being with Pay as coach and little chance of finals football better quality players will more than likely stay away.

Thats where Rickys eye for talent would come in handy as we might have to rely on rookies or players on the outer at other clubs or wanting a change.

Finally having said that we did get Thommo so there is hope.
Peter Mullholland is the man thats built that canberra side... not Stuart.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I thought Crichton was terrific in Red Dwarf.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
H
i could have sworn we signed him after he played a handful of games... cant say i was thrilled with the signing, if the guy was alot taller and threat in the air i think hed be great, happy to have him around as a backup
He was defeintley in first grade and played games before we signed him
I remember him
Cause the few games
I watched he scored tries

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We announced Crichton in May and Morris announced he was leaving later that year around July. Morris was released due to salary cap issues which I struggle to understand. Morris would have been our longest serving player and surely eligible for the additional salary cap allowance.
Also if we were in cap trouble why not promote a junior? I’d love to know how much we ‘saved’ in offloading Morris but signing Crichton.
This is the same year we offloaded Woods and Mbye midseason so it’s quite obvious our recruitment and retention plan is either non existent or poorly executed
Let me start by saying - I was not a fan of the signing then, and my fears came to fruition when we saw this bloke in FG.

The writing was on the wall with the Morris boys. The club knew we were not re-signing them, so they had to make a play. Pay was a first year FG coach, and had little money to play with and chose the middle ground - a player with FG experience, comes on the cheap - and is willing to provide support to your squad for 3 years.

If you're a first time coach, dealing with a salary cap that is in dire straits, then you take those bargains where you can.

Did it turn out to be a good buy? No.
Will Pay's tenure as how head coach fall because of one mediocre/bad decision? Hell no.
Was it the worst signing in history? Fuck no.

My point is - context is very important here. Our coach made a signing based on the limited cap space he had, with small amount of funds, and signed a player with FG experience for an extended contract for, what I understand, dirt cheap money. This provided us with depth, and security at a time when we were severely constrained thanks to Ray Ray and the Des-aster.

The end.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
You're right. He had debuted before we signed him (and played a few games). He was dropped afterwards (he was given an opportunity due to injury).

doggy bill

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Christian looked very promising at Penrith. He lost his way a bit and then from memory an ankle injury.
Its a bit early to write him off but yes 3 years should have been 2 maximum term at that time.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Christian looked very promising at Penrith. He lost his way a bit and then from memory an ankle injury.
Its a bit early to write him off but yes 3 years should have been 2 maximum term at that time.
Let's assume he wanted, say, $180k a year for 2 years and we offered $133k a year for 3 years. The extra year cost us $40k, that's a bargain using any maths. We don't know what we don't know, but some will always refuse to believe that it might just have been a good deal, because it doesn't suite their agenda.

Go Dogs

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me start by saying - I was not a fan of the signing then, and my fears came to fruition when we saw this bloke in FG.

The writing was on the wall with the Morris boys. The club knew we were not re-signing them, so they had to make a play. Pay was a first year FG coach, and had little money to play with and chose the middle ground - a player with FG experience, comes on the cheap - and is willing to provide support to your squad for 3 years.

If you're a first time coach, dealing with a salary cap that is in dire straits, then you take those bargains where you can.

Did it turn out to be a good buy? No.
Will Pay's tenure as how head coach fall because of one mediocre/bad decision? Hell no.
Was it the worst signing in history? Fuck no.

My point is - context is very important here. Our coach made a signing based on the limited cap space he had, with small amount of funds, and signed a player with FG experience for an extended contract for, what I understand, dirt cheap money. This provided us with depth, and security at a time when we were severely constrained thanks to Ray Ray and the Des-aster.

The end.
You don’t know how much money we had or didn’t have so I’m not sure how you can say those things with any conviction at all

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You don’t know how much money we had or didn’t have so I’m not sure how you can say those things with any conviction at all
Are you kidding me?

1) When Michael McGuire was considering being our coach - he asked to look at our salary cap. Do you want to know why he walked away?
2) He ONLY signed with us, when realised he would not be playing regular FG at Penrith. He saw a better opportunity with us, considering they had just re-signed Mansour, and their other winger was their captain (and hint - he is now our fullback).

I can talk with conviction because there is so much talk and innuendo about what Des did to our cap. And it's more than talk, it's action. Have you heard Pay speak about how they need to look for the next Ponga? Why? Because we cannot sign the real Ponga in the mess he inherited.

I am the furtherest thing from a "Pay apologist" - but what I won't stand for - is people dumping on him for making decisions at a time when were plain and simply fucked.

Stevie Wonder could see that.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Another dud signing.. should be on minimum wage & if hes not another stuff up..

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you kidding me?

1) When Michael McGuire was considering being our coach - he asked to look at our salary cap. Do you want to know why he walked away?
2) He ONLY signed with us, when realised he would not be playing regular FG at Penrith. He saw a better opportunity with us, considering they had just re-signed Mansour, and their other winger was their captain (and hint - he is now our fullback).

I can talk with conviction because there is so much talk and innuendo about what Des did to our cap. And it's more than talk, it's action. Have you heard Pay speak about how they need to look for the next Ponga? Why? Because we cannot sign the real Ponga in the mess he inherited.

I am the furtherest thing from a "Pay apologist" - but what I won't stand for - is people dumping on him for making decisions at a time when were plain and simply fucked.

Stevie Wonder could see that.
My point stands you don’t KNOW what any player’s salary is. So to make statements that compare players salaries and cap numbers is just you guessing.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
My point stands you don’t KNOW what any player’s salary is. So to make statements that compare players salaries and cap numbers is just you guessing.
An educated guess is the best you're going to get unless you work for the club and can see the books yourself. It's better than not talking about the situation or players at all imo. There is usually a principle that stands regardless if it's the exact amount a player('s) is on.