So what up with that Crichton signing? Must read.

Malla

Reaction score
To be fair I loved utai - elmasri combo the easy meters to start of the set with utai runs but johnathan Thurston once he left the dogs was the first one to expose how inafective they were under the bomb. Where as elmasri could jam
And shut the play down more offen then none.

rd 1 2008 against parra 20-8 up they peppered utai that night with cross field kicks against Grothe and utai had nothing changed my opinion we needed tall athletic wingers

I critchon is average at best we have jagged some good wingers out of the same sort of pool in the past and worked out to good Rona and Goodwin 2 of note turned out to be great wingers but we don’t have the talent pool to bring a young bloke through

I don’t think it’s worth buying a addo Carr winger on big money if we ain’t got a half who can use the back line as a weapon were a team too reliant on forwards one out bullshit

we had josh Morris and Brett although injury’s permitting his effectiveness josh I think in the later years with us was not used as a attacking weapon more defensive
I wouldn't say they were the first. Remember what Cowboys did to us in the prelim final in 2004?? Pretty sure Matt Sing absolutely killed Utai that game with taking the high ball.

Was just a different game back then. You could get away with shepherding players off the ball more often, halves kicking games weren't as good back then and Utai offered a lot more in attack which kinda balanced out his deficiencies (height).

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Hopoate is good for us. The only reason why he wouldn't be is if he's on too much money. Very solid and consistent player. Has some of the best hands in the competition (assists over individual brilliance). Has leadership too. We just need a strike centre on the other side and we have the perfect balance. Put Reimis back next to him and he'll (Reimis) look like a good player again.
He's a good player but he's more a ball playing centre who does the little thangs right. But what good is that to a smaller winger. He will be ok if we had a big mea
Head on the wing like Semi and Blake to power through or even end Cotric but we can't have his style in our current makeup. We need a strong
Strike big centre or strong strike winger outside him.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
It's a small contract, second tier probably... low risk investment that was going to give us depth in the reserves. If Okonbur wasn't so horny Crichton doesn't play first grade anyway.

But yeah.. he is as average as they come. Actually now that I think about that game against Parra, he was the only one making silly errors and mistakes. Just isn't made for first grade.
Wingers grow on trees. Why we signing meh wingers for three years?
Why we signing a failed hooker in Lichaa for two?

This judgment from the guys is what's troublesome to me and my pimp ass.

Last edited:

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
A lot of the homies are talking about Utai.

Utai was good but got exposed. We all know.

why wasn't he moved to centres or even hooker?

secodnly, Matt Utai would not make first grade today. The new rules absolutely mean you need a tall winger. Please don't overlook this.

It's time we start strategising the type of player we need per position.
TALL wingers!

a girl should overlook recruitment wingers. If they are tall enough for them to date then they probably tall enough for us

Malla

Reaction score
Wingers grow on trees. Why we signing meh wingers for three years?
Why we signing a failed hooker in Lichaa for two?

This judgment from the guys is what's troublesome to me and my pimp ass.
Don't get me starting on Lichaa bro.
But to your point, i agree with you. There is absolutely no point in signing a second tier player. We should invest that money into juniors at the Bulldogs.

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: lucky no one cares what nasheed has to say or has any influence ..... we would be crumpeted

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
If I was in charge of recruitment (something I've done before) I would reshape the bulldogs in the right way.

The only one I really agree with is the English dude. DWZ was ok for the timing.

Rockford

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe he was confused and thought it was Angus he was signing?

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
For those of you that don't know me, I'm the author of the popular thread naming our best team from 1996 until today. https://www.thekennel.net.au/forum/...ogs-team-1996-2020.115708/page-7#post-3716173

the reason I created this thread today was to explore a rabbit hole. Explore a mindset.

we signed Christian crichton to a three year
deal, why?
An unproven winger with no real name who had played 8 games.
Three years?
Why not two?
Even one?
Why at all?
We had limited funds at the time, remember it well, and this is how we spent it?

you see, this is what worries me about Pay.
I think he has done a good job getting
The boys to dig in and play for each other. And he can't really be fairly judged on results when he has a cheap team of nobodies, but for me, this is what I look at.
Decision making skills.
One day we will have the cash. Mad cash. Rich like drug dealer rich, and how are we going to spend it?
800k for another winger in Semi as rumoured?
More Crichtons?

the strategy of recruitment I've seen so far worries me.
Crichton aside. I was semi reliably informed that If Pay got the gig, his first priority would be to re sign Lichaa.
This came true, so I have to believe this was Pays priority.
And AGAIN, why was he signed for two years? Why not one? Who were we competing with?

I'm hoping I'm starting to communicate my concern here. I'm seeing bad recruitment decisions and a bad eye for talent (a big issue under Castle, Dib and Des) and what's changed?
Thommo was good, but who knows what we did to get him.

I'm worried we sent strategically looking at the type of player we need. Just because a player is good, doesn't mean he's good for us. Like Hoppa.
Anyway, just wondering your thoughts on these random signings and the length we signed for, and if this is foreshadowing the future under Pay? Nasheed.
Wow. Such a write up on a NSW Cup player. You do know we have to field a second team too, don't you?

You must be bored in quarantine.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Wow. Such a write up on a NSW Cup player. You do know we have to field a second team too, don't you?

You must be bored in quarantine.
I am. No job and too much ice. Does things to you.
But that's totally beside the point I'm making.

I have grave concerns about our decision making skills based on the evidence I provided.

there are soooooo many young wingers coming through the system,our system even. And none should be signed on three year deals.
You sign guys like Josh Papalii on three year deals. NOT backup wingers.

backuo wingers you keep hungry on one year deals,perhaps two years if they have a bit of spice to them.
But dime a dozen and all that.

how can some of you not see that? We gave away control over him.

same with Lichaa. No one at all was chasing the guy when Des smartly discarded him. We rewarded him with a two year deal instead of one?
How does a player go from not being re signed to TWO? That means one administration is really off the mark in that decision process. And guess which one became true in the end? No surprise.

Last edited:

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also for context - he signed the day AFTER Mansour signed an extension with the Panthers. We needed depth after losing the Morris boys, Abbey, Kennar, Lee and Tyrone Philips.
We announced Crichton in May and Morris announced he was leaving later that year around July. Morris was released due to salary cap issues which I struggle to understand. Morris would have been our longest serving player and surely eligible for the additional salary cap allowance.
Also if we were in cap trouble why not promote a junior? I’d love to know how much we ‘saved’ in offloading Morris but signing Crichton.
This is the same year we offloaded Woods and Mbye midseason so it’s quite obvious our recruitment and retention plan is either non existent or poorly executed

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't say they were the first. Remember what Cowboys did to us in the prelim final in 2004?? Pretty sure Matt Sing absolutely killed Utai that game with taking the high ball.

Was just a different game back then. You could get away with shepherding players off the ball more often, halves kicking games weren't as good back then and Utai offered a lot more in attack which kinda balanced out his deficiencies (height).
it was during the year too I would say it was bad but Thurston was the first one to expose how utai couldn’t jump... as a meter maker no better hence why he ended up a centre at tigers best way to use the little nugget
He was one of my favourite players 08 rd 1 vs eels we were up 20-0 half time utai had 2 crucial tries scored on him via bombs that was the end of him as a true winger

Malla

Reaction score
it was during the year too I would say it was bad but Thurston was the first one to expose how utai couldn’t jump... as a meter maker no better hence why he ended up a centre at tigers best way to use the little nugget
He was one of my favourite players 08 rd 1 vs eels we were up 20-0 half time utai had 2 crucial tries scored on him via bombs that was the end of him as a true winger
Didn’t he have a stint with us in the forwards too?? Definitely a metre eater but unfortunately couldn’t defend in the forwards lol

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
We announced Crichton in May and Morris announced he was leaving later that year around July. Morris was released due to salary cap issues which I struggle to understand. Morris would have been our longest serving player and surely eligible for the additional salary cap allowance.
Also if we were in cap trouble why not promote a junior? I’d love to know how much we ‘saved’ in offloading Morris but signing Crichton.
This is the same year we offloaded Woods and Mbye midseason so it’s quite obvious our recruitment and retention plan is either non existent or poorly executed
Kudos. I know you're usually seen as
the 'wild child' of the forum but I'm glad someone else is thinking on a strategic level and as a result is having the same questions I am.
Unfortunately the conclusions I am drawing is lack of foresight and vision.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kudos. I know you're usually seen as
the 'wild child' of the forum but I'm glad someone else is thinking on a strategic level and as a result is having the same questions I am.
Unfortunately the conclusions I am drawing is lack of foresight and vision.
I’m a wild child? Please explain?

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He’s a good backup player. Hopefully he’s paid as such. He’s kind of like Sam perrett. Good metres out of dummy half due to the low centre of gravity. He makes more metres and crate more go forward than reimis smith
Met Sam a couple of weeks back he is doing well with his construction company asked him why he retired with a year left on his contract he said it him in a mid season game when he was on the field wondering about what his kids were doing, he said that was his sign that it was ready to move on

He works with NRL on educating young player for life after footy

Top bloke very humble

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Met Sam a couple of weeks back he is doing well with his construction company asked him why he retired with a year left on his contract he said it him in a mid season game when he was on the field wondering about what his kids were doing, he said that was his sign that it was ready to move on

He works with NRL on educating young player for life after footy

Top bloke very humble
Agree top bloke. Might not have that NRL gig for much longer however, likely going to be lots of cuts in those educational and development roles - so glad to hear his main business is going well.