So what up with that Crichton signing? Must read.

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
For those of you that don't know me, I'm the author of the popular thread naming our best team from 1996 until today. https://www.thekennel.net.au/forum/...ogs-team-1996-2020.115708/page-7#post-3716173

the reason I created this thread today was to explore a rabbit hole. Explore a mindset.

we signed Christian crichton to a three year
deal, why?
An unproven winger with no real name who had played 8 games.
Three years?
Why not two?
Even one?
Why at all?
We had limited funds at the time, remember it well, and this is how we spent it?

you see, this is what worries me about Pay.
I think he has done a good job getting
The boys to dig in and play for each other. And he can't really be fairly judged on results when he has a cheap team of nobodies, but for me, this is what I look at.
Decision making skills.
One day we will have the cash. Mad cash. Rich like drug dealer rich, and how are we going to spend it?
800k for another winger in Semi as rumoured?
More Crichtons?

the strategy of recruitment I've seen so far worries me.
Crichton aside. I was semi reliably informed that If Pay got the gig, his first priority would be to re sign Lichaa.
This came true, so I have to believe this was Pays priority.
And AGAIN, why was he signed for two years? Why not one? Who were we competing with?

I'm hoping I'm starting to communicate my concern here. I'm seeing bad recruitment decisions and a bad eye for talent (a big issue under Castle, Dib and Des) and what's changed?
Thommo was good, but who knows what we did to get him.

I'm worried we sent strategically looking at the type of player we need. Just because a player is good, doesn't mean he's good for us. Like Hoppa.
Anyway, just wondering your thoughts on these random signings and the length we signed for, and if this is foreshadowing the future under Pay? Nasheed.
Glad to see someone else on here who thinks Hoppa isn't good for us.

Would like to get Ricky Stuart as coach for 2021.

Has experience, an eye for talent, inventive, passionate and as an ex Dogs player a chance of being considered as we do seem to favour ex players as coach.

Don't know how long he signed at the Raiders for or if he wants to come, but lets face it contracts can be broken and he worth a go at trying to entice.

As for Crichton, don't know how much we paid for him (hopefully not much as he is a backup player at the moment) but if this season gets going again Pay will select him on the wing so we will see.

Recruitment problem being with Pay as coach and little chance of finals football better quality players will more than likely stay away.

Thats where Rickys eye for talent would come in handy as we might have to rely on rookies or players on the outer at other clubs or wanting a change.

Finally having said that we did get Thommo so there is hope.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Also for context - he signed the day AFTER Mansour signed an extension with the Panthers. We needed depth after losing the Morris boys, Abbey, Kennar, Lee and Tyrone Philips.

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
When your reshaping your club due to overspending and poor recruitment of juniors,buying the likes of Crichton, britts,Stimson and meaney is guys looking to cement a first grade spot without breaking the bank,2021 where in a position of recruiting quality that make a difference to our footy side ,dwz is quality as is Thompson,moving forward we need brown to add more agro to the pack to being feared,cotric to be that superstar he can be,Stephan Crichton take a punt and offer good cash for him to play around the ball, Cameron mc innes is another bloke that would make a big difference, make some tough calls on a few, and those guys would easily fit into our side and it's not impossible

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Glad to see someone else on here who thinks Hoppa isn't good for us.

Would like to get Ricky Stuart as coach for 2021.

Has experience, an eye for talent, inventive, passionate and as an ex Dogs player a chance of being considered as we do seem to favour ex players as coach.

Don't know how long he signed at the Raiders for or if he wants to come, but lets face it contracts can be broken and he worth a go at trying to entice.

As for Crichton, don't know how much we paid for him (hopefully not much as he is a backup player at the moment) but if this season gets going again Pay will select him on the wing so we will see.

Recruitment problem being with Pay as coach and little chance of finals football better quality players will more than likely stay away.

Thats where Rickys eye for talent would come in handy as we might have to rely on rookies or players on the outer at other clubs or wanting a change.

Finally having said that we did get Thommo so there is hope.
Hopoate is good for us. The only reason why he wouldn't be is if he's on too much money. Very solid and consistent player. Has some of the best hands in the competition (assists over individual brilliance). Has leadership too. We just need a strike centre on the other side and we have the perfect balance. Put Reimis back next to him and he'll (Reimis) look like a good player again.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm Personally more concerned why Holland is still at the club.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Was a crap signing, I had far more hope for him.!!! He looks good in stints, but nah not keen.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
When your reshaping your club due to overspending and poor recruitment of juniors,buying the likes of Crichton, britts,Stimson and meaney is guys looking to cement a first grade spot without breaking the bank,2021 where in a position of recruiting quality that make a difference to our footy side ,dwz is quality as is Thompson,moving forward we need brown to add more agro to the pack to being feared,cotric to be that superstar he can be,Stephan Crichton take a punt and offer good cash for him to play around the ball, Cameron mc innes is another bloke that would make a big difference, make some tough calls on a few, and those guys would easily fit into our side and it's not impossible
DWZ isn't quality, blokes not a fullback yet we signed him as one. Thompson again I have doubts over as he gets snapped in half against NRL quality opposition and struggles without a big body prop alongside him. Our recruitment has been shithouse and our best recruit has had his contract terminated lol.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is fucking useless..... more worried about how he looks in a singlet no good in the air against athletic wingers I don’t know who in our organisation thinks these midget wingers are the go unless the bloke can run like addo Carr a big no remis is the only winger with pace and tall enough to compete in the air

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
It’s just poor planning and an obvious lack of a coherent recruitment and retention strategy. Are guys like Crichton, Sue & Britt that much better than our juniors?
Surely there’s a benefit from promoting cheap juniors and seeing how they perform? If they suck then they are easier to offload than a recruit on $200k-$400k a year. You do that a few times and we can start to afford true stars(no guarantee they’d want to come anyway).
The club bottling the Api signing really tells the story. We needed a hooker BADLY and the club needed to go above and beyond to get him but in the end we missed out and signed a Panthers reject in Katoa and stuck with JMK.

The club now has another chance with both Friend and Mahoney available, both major upgrades on what we have while still offering different things. Both these guys imo would be my top targets right now.

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We sign so many bit part players that have limited growth and pass on experienced players that would walk into the 13 and help develop the players around them or youth with high potential.
Thats all you can do with lunch money.

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Crichton was signed for 3 years, signed before he made his NRL debut at the Panthers and started Round 1 in 2019. That tells me he wasn't signed as a back up.

It's a failed signing for sure.
He played top grade for Penrith in 2018

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Also for context - he signed the day AFTER Mansour signed an extension with the Panthers. We needed depth after losing the Morris boys, Abbey, Kennar, Lee and Tyrone Philips.
But who signs a depth player for THREE years? You sign origin players that long, not backup wingers that are a dime a dozen

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
He is fucking useless..... more worried about how he looks in a singlet no good in the air against athletic wingers I don’t know who in our organisation thinks these midget wingers are the go unless the bloke can run like addo Carr a big no remis is the only winger with pace and tall enough to compete in the air

Height is absolutely a key focus in wingers now. Not many people know this but they changed the rule in the off season that you can't touch a player in the air who's jumping so when a bomb comes up it's whoever catches it. So we need Halligan, Campbell Graham and Folau types who soar in the air when they jump because whoever jumps highest scores or diffuses a try

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Height is absolutely a key focus in wingers now. Not many people know this but they changed the rule in the off season that you can't touch a player in the air who's jumping so when a bomb comes up it's whoever catches it. So we need Halligan, Campbell Graham and Folau types who soar in the air when they jump because whoever jumps highest scores or diffuses a try
To be fair I loved utai - elmasri combo the easy meters to start of the set with utai runs but johnathan Thurston once he left the dogs was the first one to expose how inafective they were under the bomb. Where as elmasri could jam
And shut the play down more offen then none.

rd 1 2008 against parra 20-8 up they peppered utai that night with cross field kicks against Grothe and utai had nothing changed my opinion we needed tall athletic wingers

I critchon is average at best we have jagged some good wingers out of the same sort of pool in the past and worked out to good Rona and Goodwin 2 of note turned out to be great wingers but we don’t have the talent pool to bring a young bloke through

I don’t think it’s worth buying a addo Carr winger on big money if we ain’t got a half who can use the back line as a weapon were a team too reliant on forwards one out bullshit

we had josh Morris and Brett although injury’s permitting his effectiveness josh I think in the later years with us was not used as a attacking weapon more defensive

Malla

Reaction score
It's a small contract, second tier probably... low risk investment that was going to give us depth in the reserves. If Okonbur wasn't so horny Crichton doesn't play first grade anyway.

But yeah.. he is as average as they come. Actually now that I think about that game against Parra, he was the only one making silly errors and mistakes. Just isn't made for first grade.