Daily Telegraph/Rothfield Holbrook, Hill and Coach Consolidated Mega Thread

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/the-mo...n-french/57aceafd-a606-48d8-997d-c677a2359b72

BULLDOGS, TITANS AFTER GUN COACH

Justin Holbrook is the most wanted man in coaching at the moment - with the Bulldogs and Titans both chasing the St Helens boss.

Bulldogs boss Andrew Hill even flew to England this week to talk to the former NRL halfback.

Holbrook is the next big thing in coaching and the two struggling NRL clubs have recognised that.

But if the Bulldogs do sign Holbrook, I’m hearing it may not necessarily mean the end for Dean Pay next season.

Pay still has the support of Bulldogs powerbrokers Lynne and Chris Anderson and I’m told their plan is to make Holbrook Pay’s assistant in 2020 - and then possibly have him take over the reins in 2021.

Just show Pay the door FFS
What a load of rubbish ... as if Holbrook would sign to become Pay's assistant. If that was some how true and the Andersons believed this scenario possible, then the Anderson's would have to be committed on the grounds of insanity.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
If he happens to come here, he will put the rebuild back by at least another 2 years.
I know Pay hasnt got the results people wanted, but he inherited an almighty mess and is working on improving it.
With the exodus of players at seasons end, and the recruitment of some better quality players, I think Pay will do OK.
Bottom line is simply, that Pay is not the problem.
Hahahahaha

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he happens to come here, he will put the rebuild back by at least another 2 years.
I know Pay hasnt got the results people wanted, but he inherited an almighty mess and is working on improving it.
With the exodus of players at seasons end, and the recruitment of some better quality players, I think Pay will do OK.
Agree the problem is bigger than Pay, but if I was a betting man, I would say Holbrook would get better results than Pay with the same players.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chances are the job won't be available then if he waits till the end of next season.

As long as he didn't deliver a spoon and had the team improving each week I don't think he would face much criticism anyway.
You don't think he will face a lot of criticism this forum is TK don't forget.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Chances are the job won't be available then if he waits till the end of next season.

As long as he didn't deliver a spoon and had the team improving each week I don't think he would face much criticism anyway.
That's exactly right. Pay came here and the first thing he did was run his mouth in the press conference and then went on to deliver absolutely nothing of what he mentioned and the players only continued to regress under him. Pay is an out and out failure and there is absolutely nothing that supports otherwise.

If Holbrook comes in and like you said delivers improvement then that is a positive sign moving forward and all we can ask for and all we have asked for from Pay despite the usual suspects making it out as if we're asking the world from him.

GirthGorilla

Waterboy
Reaction score
Deluded ****.

Mackdoggies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
How will he put the rebuild back by 2 years? The only players pay has signed past next year is Napa and Stimson. This is right when you need the new coach here if pay isn’t going to be it. Otherwise you will delay the rebuild.

The issue is nobody is going to want to come here with all the media heat on Pay being the problem regardless of what the players and fans think. So he needs to go.

Kennelnator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pay needs to go.

Would Holbrook be the answer, who da fuck knows?

Would Holbrook be more persuasive and appealing than Pay to recruit good players around the NRL? Who knows, but i would think not as both are rookies, but you never know.

One thing with Holbrook is the experience he has now in the ESL, he knows the hot property and commodity in that league and could bring over a few gems. I hope Luke Thompson could be one of them.

Is it worth giving Holbrook a couple of seasons? I think it is.

The club really needs to restructure and recruit a new strength and conditioning coach, wrestling coaches, skills coaches and the likes.

In regards to recruiting good NRL players we need a well respected figure who is well known and respected in the NRL circle.

We need to target Phil Gould in some capacity. His experience with junior setup is second to none, his pulling power is up there with the best - Gould, Politis, Bellamy, Bennett.
He would have us "onside" with the media and the sponsorships/revenue he would bring in would be a revelation.

Dont worry about throwing 10 year deals to Mitchell. Throw the cash at Gould and give him a racehorse as a sweetener

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Twinturbo,

Stimson is a fringe forward in the regards he isn’t in the storms squad much when fully healthy if at all. He comes off the bench again when they are healthy at best. He is the exact definition of fringe player. He is not an established player, he isn’t going to be some dominate force magically for us. He has scored some very simple try’s playing off some of those “super stars” who you admit are very few and far between and people overlook this.

He is not a established first grade player, he is not someone who walks into any squad at all. Not even on their bench. He is a fringe player.

On dwz he is easily our best attacking player with Foran, though he as well is not a star to me. He is a very established first grade player at a young age still and I’m very pleased with that signing. That is all he is though.

GirthGorilla

Waterboy
Reaction score
Pay needs to go.

Would Holbrook be the answer, who da fuck knows?

Would Holbrook be more persuasive and appealing than Pay to recruit good players around the NRL? Who knows, but i would think not as both are rookies, but you never know.

One thing with Holbrook is the experience he has now in the ESL, he knows the hot property and commodity in that league and could bring over a few gems. I hope Luke Thompson could be one of them.

Is it worth giving Holbrook a couple of seasons? I think it is.

The club really needs to restructure and recruit a new strength and conditioning coach, wrestling coaches, skills coaches and the likes.

In regards to recruiting good NRL players we need a well respected figure who is well known and respected in the NRL circle.

We need to target Phil Gould in some capacity. His experience with junior setup is second to none, his pulling power is up there with the best - Gould, Politis, Bellamy, Bennett.
He would have us "onside" with the media and the sponsorships/revenue he would bring in would be a revelation.

Dont worry about throwing 10 year deals to Mitchell. Throw the cash at Gould and give him a racehorse as a sweetener
And.. doomsday disappears coz he's a gutless **** n returns with the different Nick. Sad **** haha.
This guy uses several names if u ppl haven't worked it out

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
There's plenty of reasons Holbrook would leave he won't find a better situation to establish himself as a NRL coach.
- The club is very familiar to him.
- The ability to create his own roster within 12 months of starting with huge cap space available.
- Little pressure to win a comp in his first year in charge. There will be pressure to improve however.
- Working at a financially stable club.

There's only 16 NRL coaching jobs in the world and a situation like this won't come up very often plus living in the north of England isn't that fun especially with a young family.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Any job in the NRL is precious, especially one at a bigger club which will have $8 million of cap space soon. To offer a coach all of that cap space and flexibility is unheard of in the salary cap era and would be massively enticing.

GirthGorilla

Waterboy
Reaction score
I feel that DP will see out his contract nx year with JH taking the reigns once it's complete, that will give JH a chance to establish something there before he leaves, he comes across as a loyal and honest fella.
Whilst DP is here (unfortunately) nx year, JH will work in the background in the recruitment front.
At the end of the day JH will bring alot to our club, spoke to a mate in the UK n he reckons the whole atmosphere around the club has been remarkable in the short space of time.
Possibly could be the nx best coach on the market and we need him.

Knew when he was with us back in the lower grades that he's got somethin special about him.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've been around this forum for long enough to think that unless he has us in the top 4 and dominating most weeks he'll cop criticism. It's a sad fact of this place that expectations are extremely high even if they're low.
The Kennel is a bit different to other places though. The biggest strength is the passion this place has for the club but its also it's biggest weakness.
Some people will never be happy till we are winning comps again and even then there will probably be criticism.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
You don't think he will face a lot of criticism this forum is TK don't forget.
He probably would but we could be winning comps and the criticism would still be there.

I think most people would be happy with continued improvement I know I would be.

The most frustrating thing about this year is we have regressed from last year and last year was a very poor year!

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been around this forum for long enough to think that unless he has us in the top 4 and dominating most weeks he'll cop criticism. It's a sad fact of this place that expectations are extremely high even if they're low.
Have to disagree with this. I remember pay had a lot of fans here last year. Some people got smashed for criticising him then.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Have to disagree with this. I remember pay had a lot of fans here last year. Some people got smashed for criticising him then.
I got banned for it :/

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Holbrook: Speculation on future no good for anyone

JUSTIN Holbrook expects to have his future sorted "within weeks" adding that the speculation surrounding around him was not good for anyone.

The Saints coach, who joined in May 2017, is out of contract at the end of the season and this week was once again subject to media speculation linking him with a return to the NRL.

Holbrook has left the negotiations in the hands of his management team, but does expect it to be resolved shortly.

He said: "I have not got an update yet, and I know I have said that a few times in a the last couple of weeks.

"It is not good for anyone because I don't like speculation myself, but I have left it to my management to look after.

"Saints have done everything right and obviously want me to re-sign, which is fantastic. I know I have said it will be sorted in a few weeks before - but it definitely does have to be a few weeks now because it cannot drag on any longer.

"I hope that it can get sorted soon."

Holbrook, however, does not feel the issue will have any destabilising effect on the team, who are eight points clear at the top and in the semi-finals of the Challenge Cup.

"Not one person or player is going to bring down what we have created. It has taken a while to create this here and get to the stage we are at and we have got everyone doing their job and doing it really well and that is going to continue.

"Nothing will affect the way we are going about playing," he said.

https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/sport/17759416.holbrook-speculation-future-no-good-anyone/

GirthGorilla

Waterboy
Reaction score

JUSTIN Holbrook expects to have his future sorted "within weeks" adding that the speculation surrounding around him was not good for anyone.

The Saints coach, who joined in May 2017, is out of contract at the end of the season and this week was once again subject to media speculation linking him with a return to the NRL.

Holbrook has left the negotiations in the hands of his management team, but does expect it to be resolved shortly.

He said: "I have not got an update yet, and I know I have said that a few times in a the last couple of weeks.

"It is not good for anyone because I don't like speculation myself, but I have left it to my management to look after.

"Saints have done everything right and obviously want me to re-sign, which is fantastic. I know I have said it will be sorted in a few weeks before - but it definitely does have to be a few weeks now because it cannot drag on any longer.

Holbrook, however, does not feel the issue will have any destabilising effect on the team, who are eight points clear at the top and in the semi-finals of the Challenge Cup.

"Not one person or player is going to bring down what we have created. It has taken a while to create this here and get to the stage we are at and we have got everyone doing their job and doing it really well and that is going to continue.

https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/sport/17759416.holbrook-speculation-future-no-good-anyone/
Sounds positive, that's about it "sounds"

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dean Pay can expect to have his future sorted "within weeks". The speculation surrounding around him was not good for anyone. Lol