Daily Telegraph/Rothfield Holbrook, Hill and Coach Consolidated Mega Thread

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Holbrook: Speculation on future no good for anyone

JUSTIN Holbrook expects to have his future sorted "within weeks" adding that the speculation surrounding around him was not good for anyone.

The Saints coach, who joined in May 2017, is out of contract at the end of the season and this week was once again subject to media speculation linking him with a return to the NRL.

Holbrook has left the negotiations in the hands of his management team, but does expect it to be resolved shortly.

He said: "I have not got an update yet, and I know I have said that a few times in a the last couple of weeks.

"It is not good for anyone because I don't like speculation myself, but I have left it to my management to look after.

"Saints have done everything right and obviously want me to re-sign, which is fantastic. I know I have said it will be sorted in a few weeks before - but it definitely does have to be a few weeks now because it cannot drag on any longer.

"I hope that it can get sorted soon."

Holbrook, however, does not feel the issue will have any destabilising effect on the team, who are eight points clear at the top and in the semi-finals of the Challenge Cup.

"Not one person or player is going to bring down what we have created. It has taken a while to create this here and get to the stage we are at and we have got everyone doing their job and doing it really well and that is going to continue.

"Nothing will affect the way we are going about playing," he said.

https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/sport/17759416.holbrook-speculation-future-no-good-anyone/
I get the feeling he's staying at Saints reading that... hope ive interpreted that wrong lol

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I get the feeling he's staying at Saints reading that... hope ive interpreted that wrong lol
Really? I got the complete opposite impression. He never says he’s keen to stay and only that St Helens want him.I wonder why he is delaying announcing his plans if he was staying? It wouldn’t be another club coming in would it.....

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Really? I got the complete opposite impression. He never says he’s keen to stay and only that St Helens want him.I wonder why he is delaying announcing his plans if he was staying? It wouldn’t be another club coming in would it.....
Yep, I read similar, particularly that “not one person or player is going to bring down....”
line.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Twinturbo,
Stimson is a fringe forward in the regards he isn’t in the storms squad much when fully healthy if at all. He comes off the bench again when they are healthy at best. He is the exact definition of fringe player. He is not an established player, he isn’t going to be some dominate force magically for us. He has scored some very simple try’s playing off some of those “super stars” who you admit are very few and far between and people overlook this.
He is not a established first grade player, he is not someone who walks into any squad at all. Not even on their bench. He is a fringe player.
Your view of "fringe" and mine are worlds apart, Stimson has played in 45 NRL games for Melbourne in 2 and a bit years and he played in the 2018 Grand Final. From memory he has only missed a couple of games due to injury. Maths says he has played in ~85% of the games in which he was available to play. That's not remotely "fringe", that's more like "well established NRL player" territory in what must be one the most difficult NRL teams to get a run in.

On dwz he is easily our best attacking player with Foran, though he as well is not a star to me. He is a very established first grade player at a young age still and I’m very pleased with that signing. That is all he is though.
"Star" is a relative term, as such we could debate this one forever, with evidence in both directions. For me he's not a "Super Star" well not yet anyway, but he still has plenty of time. So agree to disagree on that one.

Go Dogs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
More money?

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
More money?

Go Dogs
Possibly although it’s less likely as the negotiations have been going on for months. You’d think they would have sorted it by now if it was simply money.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I reckon he is weighing the options...
He would saying to himself
1. If I go to Canterbury...Can I put up with Anderson's DICTATORSHIP ???
2. If I go to the Titans....How long will it be before they blame me for their failures and sack me ???
3. If I stay at St Helens...Is this my ultimate ambition in life ???
One thing for sure we will soon know the answer !!!

Last edited:

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Holbrook: Speculation on future no good for anyone

JUSTIN Holbrook expects to have his future sorted "within weeks" adding that the speculation surrounding around him was not good for anyone.

The Saints coach, who joined in May 2017, is out of contract at the end of the season and this week was once again subject to media speculation linking him with a return to the NRL.

Holbrook has left the negotiations in the hands of his management team, but does expect it to be resolved shortly.

He said: "I have not got an update yet, and I know I have said that a few times in a the last couple of weeks.

"It is not good for anyone because I don't like speculation myself, but I have left it to my management to look after.

"Saints have done everything right and obviously want me to re-sign, which is fantastic. I know I have said it will be sorted in a few weeks before - but it definitely does have to be a few weeks now because it cannot drag on any longer.

"I hope that it can get sorted soon."

Holbrook, however, does not feel the issue will have any destabilising effect on the team, who are eight points clear at the top and in the semi-finals of the Challenge Cup.

"Not one person or player is going to bring down what we have created. It has taken a while to create this here and get to the stage we are at and we have got everyone doing their job and doing it really well and that is going to continue.

"Nothing will affect the way we are going about playing," he said.

https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/sport/17759416.holbrook-speculation-future-no-good-anyone/
Well by the sounds of that he's staying put!
- "Everyone is doing their job and doing it really well and that is going to continue".
- "I dont like speculation myself"
- "Saints have done everything right and obviously want me to re-sign which is fantastic".

They're the points that i notice that stand out.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Possibly although it’s less likely as the negotiations have been going on for months. You’d think they would have sorted it by now if it was simply money.
Is there a real world difference between money and what money can buy?

Go Dogs

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Don't much disagree with this except that late next year is far better timing as he won't have to face up for the whole of next season to the criticism that he will inevitably get. It will forever leave an indelible mark on his record, everyone will forget the circumstances but the bad record will still be there.

Go Dogs
Young family probably wants to get around his extended family and networks

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If he happens to come here, he will put the rebuild back by at least another 2 years.
I know Pay hasnt got the results people wanted, but he inherited an almighty mess and is working on improving it.
With the exodus of players at seasons end, and the recruitment of some better quality players, I think Pay will do OK.
Bottom line is simply, that Pay is not the problem.
Delusional

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I got banned for it :/
I was one of the early ones to question the lack of trials leading into the first round

After two rounds I knew he was over his head and we were fkd

Marley was the other and maybe handful of others

Vast majority backed Pay although most of them realised this year he was not cutting it

Do I want a medal?
Nope

I want a new coach preferably Holbrook

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I was one of the early ones to question the lack of trials leading into the first round

After two rounds I knew he was over his head and we were fkd

Marley was the other and maybe handful of others

Vast majority backed Pay although most of them realised this year he was not cutting it

Do I want a medal?
Nope

I want a new coach preferably Holbrook
Yh that Marley dude was a mad ****.

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I reckon pays writing was on the wall when dwz wouldnt sign longer than 18 months with us, and it had nothing to do with money.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Your view of "fringe" and mine are worlds apart, Stimson has played in 45 NRL games for Melbourne in 2 and a bit years and he played in the 2018 Grand Final. From memory he has only missed a couple of games due to injury. Maths says he has played in ~85% of the games in which he was available to play. That's not remotely "fringe", that's more like "well established NRL player" territory in what must be one the most difficult NRL teams to get a run in.

"Star" is a relative term, as such we could debate this one forever, with evidence in both directions. For me he's not a "Super Star" well not yet anyway, but he still has plenty of time. So agree to disagree on that one.

Go Dogs
It’s not from injury. It’s from the fact he wasn’t in their best 17. Thus fringe player. Now injuries/retirement/player movement open the door.

If you consider a bloke who’s a bench player and not consistently someone in the top 17 an established first grader then we can just agree to disagree overall lol