NRL Looking At Overhauling Golden Point System

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I was happy in the past with 1 point for a draw. Go back to that unless it's in origin or finals. It's just change for changes sake with the current NRL admin.

This is supposed to show they are listening to fans. ***** need to get rid of gambling sponsors in the game to at least make it look less corrupted to please me

Vagabond

flumshma
Reaction score
What's wrong with a hard fought draw? Seriously what's wrong with that NRL?!

caltan

Waterboy
Reaction score
Surely if it is a draw after 80 minutes just share the points. Simple and logical. Then again since when are the NRL logical? They always want to complicate things.

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Good point. It's the way the NHL points work, but probably wouldn't work in NRL. Maybe the following points system would work better, and provide incentive to win the game in regular time. A loss should remain 0.

3 points for a regular win
2 points for a golden point win
1 point each for a draw
0 points for loss
I prefer

4 points - regular time win
3 points - Extra time win
2 points - Draw
1 point - extra time loss
0 points - regular time loaa

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
A win after 80min should be valued at 2 points.
A draw after 80min should be shared 1 point each.
A loss is a loss. Worth 0.

Just get rid of golden point altogether.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Good point. It's the way the NHL points work, but probably wouldn't work in NRL. Maybe the following points system would work better, and provide incentive to win the game in regular time. A loss should remain 0.

3 points for a regular win
2 points for a golden point win
1 point each for a draw
0 points for loss
what happens if a game only reaches GP because of an officials error ? nrl will just fuck the game and open a can of worms doing this. If scores are locked at 70-75 min and you cant manage to get a field goal and or defend one to keep the lead than you simply dont deserve the 2 points.
The only thing they need to do to ensure the option of a draw would be fair is to remove the 7 tackle set option from a missed field goal and or scrap the rule altogether.

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
what happens if a game only reaches GP because of an officials error ? nrl will just fuck the game and open a can of worms doing this. If scores are locked at 70-75 min and you cant manage to get a field goal and or defend one to keep the lead than you simply dont deserve the 2 points.
The only thing they need to do to ensure the option of a draw would be fair is to remove the 7 tackle set option from a missed field goal and or scrap the rule altogether.
All valid points, which is why I'm not a fan of changing the current rules, which are perfectly fine.

Also agree about removing 7 tackle sets, especially from field goals.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I agree! But a team shouldn't get a point for losing in extra time... A loss is a loss. Doesn't matter if it happens in regulation or a minute into extra time..

I don't like golden point but I get it.. But I don't understand this potential points change at all
Imagine a team with 4 losses in extra time. That's equivalent to a win I their proposal.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
All valid points, which is why I'm not a fan of changing the current rules, which are perfectly fine.

Also agree about removing 7 tackle sets, especially from field goals.

Yeah great idea, then teams will just go for field goals at the end of every set that they aren't likely to score in.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Surely if it is a draw after 80 minutes just share the points. Simple and logical. Then again since when are the NRL logical? They always want to complicate things.
Exactly Game goes for 80 minutes - teams equal at 80 minutes - its a draw. What is wrong with a game being a draw? in a 100 metre race there is a dead heat they don't keep running an extra 10 metres - its a tie, a dead heat, a draw.
The only difference is in finals when its to decide the competition - play extra time - whoever is in front after extra time wins. golden point changes the purpose of the game from scoring tries to kicking field goals.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Golden point needs to go, sick of Corey Norman becoming a 'hero'

draw if scores are locked at FT point each

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I like Golden Point TBH. Draws mean nobody wins at all.

Wining isn't everything, it's the only thing. Listen to Turvey.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Greenberg needs to overhaul his ugly mug first and repaint the walls at NRL headquarters, he pealed paint off the walls with each off season scandal

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah great idea, then teams will just go for field goals at the end of every set that they aren't likely to score in.
The 7 tackle restart was brought in 2014 to combat kicking dead in goal on purpose. There was never really a problem with field goals every set.

Ideally, it’d be a 7 tackle restart for kicks that are:
1. Out on the full in goal
2. Kicks that go out from outside the 30

There shouldn’t be a 7 tackle set for:
1. Knock-on in goal
2. Kicks from inside the 30
3. Caught in goal

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
What shits me about GP is the 7 tackle set... You work your ass off to get a shot at a field goal, miss by a matter of centre metres and the opposition can then roll up field with less effort and win
This and also how fucked is it seeing teams purposely die with the ball on the 5th because kicking a grubber risks it going dead for a 7 tackle set. Who comes up with this shit?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
This and also how fucked is it seeing teams purposely die with the ball on the 5th because kicking a grubber risks it going dead for a 7 tackle set. Who comes up with this shit?
I believe "that shit" was a Desmond Hasler tactic.