Current board do not deserve another chance (besides Mortimer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
To take the heat off??? What planet are you on mate, they didn’t do anything wrong, every one of those players were found to be innocent. Gary didn’t do anything wrong mate, he copped a dick from Peponis. The Hughes family walked away from the club because they were betrayed. Love them or hate them let’s call a spade a spade! Every since we won that comp until early this year the club has been run by monkeys with their own agendas! I’m sick and tired of idiots who treat our club like shit. The club belongs to the fans, members and the wider community as a whole, and any administrator who doesn’t have the best interest of our club at heart can go get F*****

Ok let’s talk about Dib as well. Do you know where he’s from? Do you know all his cousins, friends, and the wider Lebanese community like I do. And yes he played lower grades at Canterbury, big shit, so have a lot of my mates, cousins, ex school buddies etc. He only got on that board because once upon a time we used to have 50-100 voting members in the days of Bullfrog, the club was run smoothly by real Canterbury people and everything was kept in house between four walls, now we have over a thousand voting members where Dib exploited to get all his cousins on there and shore up his votes and got on the board. He wouldn’t of stood a chance back in the old days.
Don't know what your experience with journalists, media and hot button topics is but mine is extensive. There is a news cycle that feeds on itself that is based on sensationalism and at the time we were up to our eyeballs in it. The truth has little to do with controversy and repeated hammering. To break the cycle you either need something even more salacious or you need to put a cap on your issue. In our case standing Garry down was a visible attempt to cool the issue. Someone had to be accountable for any suggestion of lack of control over the players, compounded by their thong walk into the Sydney Police Centre. It just added a layer of "we don't give a shit" to the issue that wouldn't settle until blood was spilt. On this occasion it was Garry but later Noad and Price. So effectively everyone connected with leadership of the team was punted. You don't have to like it but it is important to recognise it as a standard practice.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol I'll say this at a football level Des hasler should never have been re signed and Ray Dib will have to have to live with that mistake for the rest of his life and castle she stuffed things up on a football level big time. On a business level the previous board didn't fail, bulldogs were one of the best run clubs in the Nrl. Anderson has won fair and square and she has the opportunity to show us fans that she and the board including Hill will bring this club back at its best. Us bulldogs fans we're behind her!
Overspending money which you don't have is mismanagement. That doesn't show we were"the best run club". From the outside it looked that way, but once the true running's of the club were exposed, we were all blindsided and treated like fools as they were happy to take our money in membership fees and merchandise etc etc but in the background were taking risks that ran the club and team down to the ground. Unforgivable!!

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Don't know what your experience with journalists, media and hot button topics is but mine is extensive. There is a news cycle that feeds on itself that is based on sensationalism and at the time we were up to our eyeballs in it. The truth has little to do with controversy and repeated hammering. To break the cycle you either need something even more salacious or you need to put a cap on your issue. In our case standing Garry down was a visible attempt to cool the issue. Someone had to be accountable for any suggestion of lack of control over the players, compounded by their thong walk into the Sydney Police Centre. It just added a layer of "we don't give a shit" to the issue that wouldn't settle until blood was spilt. On this occasion it was Garry but later Noad and Price. So effectively everyone connected with leadership of the team was punted. You don't have to like it but it is important to recognise it as a standard practice.
Yeah and that’s when the dogs started bending over to the media and NRL.

That’s nonsense, Gary got sacked for nothing. Canterbury we’re innocent. What are you talking about “later Noad” Noad was sacked by newly elected board in 2008, years after the scandal when Barry Philis and co got dumped off the board. Get your facts right first.

If they really cared about the Hughes family then why didn’t they re-instate Gary back after it was proven nothing happened at Coffs Harbour? Sorry mate, in all due respect as a fellow dogs supporter, it’s a load of hogwash.

Peponis has contributed to our mess. The so called former chairman of both the leagues club and football club earlier this year backed Dib and the old board by saying that we were in a great position for many years to come and urged us the voting members to re-elect Dib and co. What person does that knowing well and truly the situation we were in with our salary cap. And if he didn’t know then he wasn’t doing his job as Chairman of the Leagues club, he is privy of football club finances because the Leagues club financially backs the football club and is a main stakeholder of the football club at Canterbury.

Last edited:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Peponis is the one with agendas, the sooner this rat gets cut from anything to do with Canterbury the better.
Peponis is the only one at the club with links to NSWRL, and also to the upper echelon of the NRL (Greenberg et al).

The club loses him, we go back to square one with any relationships.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Peponis is the only one at the club with links to NSWRL, and also to the upper echelon of the NRL (Greenberg et al).

What have we benefited from that anyway?
What, are you saying we get special treatment because he's the chairman of the NSWRL board. Please mate, those special treatment days went out the window after the Peter Moore and Ken Arthurson love story ended.
That's not a good enough reason to be in favor of Peponis.
You look at this from a NSWRL perspective, but I look at this from our own club's internal perspective and the damage he's done over the years.
He is one reason for the breakdown of so many internal relationships and culture at the dogs. Peponis only does what's best for Peponis.
Club first buddy.

How can he come out and back his buddy Dib before the elections in February and say the club is moving in the right direction and is going to become a powerhouse under Dib and if we don't vote Dib back on then we're doing a huge mistake, knowing all well the true reality of our cap situation and the way the Hasler issue was played out. We became the laughing stock of the NRL thanks to those idiots. Either that or he wasn't doing his job as Chariman of the Leagues club who should be privy to the financial situation of the football club.

Last edited:

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

This comment has to be a gee up.
When the fuck has 'relationships' from the NSWRL helped us??
Wasn't Dib apart of it aswell..... look how much having 2 members done for us. Lol

Punchbowl Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Andrew Hill is our man with the connections

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Judging by how things have panned out, that very special relationship has not helped much :grinning:

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah and that’s when the dogs started bending over to the media and NRL.

That’s nonsense, Gary got sacked for nothing. Canterbury we’re innocent. What are you talking about “later Noad” Noad was sacked by newly elected board in 2008, years after the scandal when Barry Philis and co got dumped off the board. Get your facts right first.

If they really cared about the Hughes family then why didn’t they re-instate Gary back after it was proven nothing happened at Coffs Harbour? Sorry mate, in all due respect as a fellow dogs supporter, it’s a load of hogwash.

Peponis has contributed to our mess. The so called former chairman of both the leagues club and football club earlier this year backed Dib and the old board by saying that we were in a great position for many years to come and urged us the voting members to re-elect Dib and co. What idiot does that knowing well and truly the situation we were in with our salary cap. And if he didn’t know then he wasn’t doing his job as Chairman of the Leagues club, he is privy of football club finances because the Leagues club financially backs the football club and is a main stakeholder of the football club at Canterbury.

Peponis is the one with agendas, the sooner this rat gets cut from anything to do with Canterbury the better.
Yes you are right it was Mortimer who stood down and was replaced by Noad, but nonetheless the CEO went due to the Coffs incident. So while I have the name wrong I have the facts right.

It is childish to think that the Dogs simply got bent over by the media. I'm talking about the real world here where people are stood down when they haven't done anything wrong on a daily basis. Look at the banking RC. Pretty much every bank Chairperson has gone. They didn't act corruptly but they were in charge when something went wrong. I've sat in gov't ministers offices and watched them draft their resignation because some advisor has given them the wrong info. That's the real world my friend. Coffs Harbour cost a Police Deputy Commissioner his job. WTF did he have to do with that night? He was home in bed in Sydney. It is the modern day accountability and like it or not someone had to be visibly accountable in order for the incident to die down. By the time the issue was found to be baseless (and that was long after police decided not to lay charges) we already had employed replacements for all those positions so there was nowhere for hughes to come back to. BTW when you say nothing happened I assume what you mean is nothing criminal happened - as plenty happened that night.

I don't think I mentioned Peponis or Dib, but your comment is around the wrong way I think. The Footy Club controls the Leagues club and I would think they wouldn't open the books up to the LC in enough detail to work out our cap position. Don't forget the NRL certified our cap this year before the elections so what would you think the Footy Club would show the Leagues club?

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yes you are right it was Mortimer who stood down and was replaced by Noad, but nonetheless the CEO went due to the Coffs incident. So while I have the name wrong I have the facts right.

It is childish to think that the Dogs simply got bent over by the media. I'm talking about the real world here where people are stood down when they haven't done anything wrong on a daily basis. Look at the banking RC. Pretty much every bank Chairperson has gone. They didn't act corruptly but they were in charge when something went wrong. I've sat in gov't ministers offices and watched them draft their resignation because some advisor has given them the wrong info. That's the real world my friend. Coffs Harbour cost a Police Deputy Commissioner his job. WTF did he have to do with that night? He was home in bed in Sydney. It is the modern day accountability and like it or not someone had to be visibly accountable in order for the incident to die down. By the time the issue was found to be baseless (and that was long after police decided not to lay charges) we already had employed replacements for all those positions so there was nowhere for hughes to come back to. BTW when you say nothing happened I assume what you mean is nothing criminal happened - as plenty happened that night.

I don't think I mentioned Peponis or Dib, but your comment is around the wrong way I think. The Footy Club controls the Leagues club and I would think they wouldn't open the books up to the LC in enough detail to work out our cap position. Don't forget the NRL certified our cap this year before the elections so what would you think the Footy Club would show the Leagues club?
I didn’t say whether the leagues club controls the football club or visa versa. All members of the leagues club board would know the financial situation of the football club. 4 board members of the football club board are appointed on the leagues club board. Don’t you think the the leagues club board members especially the chairman would be privy to the finances of the football club board? Don’t you think the leagues club would want to know how their grants given to the football club are spent. I don’t think they will be lying to each other in board meetings. And if so where are the ethics and corporate governance. Both boards are tied at the hip mate.

Now let’s get to the nitty gritty of this. If you seriously think the leagues club chairman has no idea of the financial dealings of the football club board, I’ll give you the current leagues club chairman’s phone number and ask him yourself.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I didn’t say whether the leagues club controls the football club or visa versa. All members of the leagues club board would know the financial situation of the football club. 4 board members of the football club board are appointed on the leagues club board. Don’t you think the the leagues club board members especially the chairman would be privy to the finances of the football club board? Don’t you think the leagues club would want to know how their grants given to the football club are spent. I don’t think they will be lying to each other in board meetings. And if so where are the ethics and corporate governance. Both boards are tied at the hip mate.

Now let’s get to the nitty gritty of this. If you seriously think the leagues club chairman has no idea of the financial dealings of the football club board, I’ll give you the current leagues club chairman’s phone number and ask him yourself.
Thanks. Don't need it and I am fully aware of who is on the board. What I will guarantee you is the Leagues Club board nor the Footy Club board have the expertise to fully understand the machinations of the cap. Why? Because no-one does. They would understand the rudimentary elements of how much we've spent and what we have left but that's about where it ends.

As for the grant, it isn't related to the cap. The cap comes from the NRL payment. What the leagues club does is top them up if they run out or give them dough for the CoE.

What you seem to have brushed aside though is that the NRL have certified our cap as compliant this year which means that the books will show we are OK. So any discussion of the cap at the leagues club would be over in about 10 seconds. All of the machinations going on now are for the future so what is it you think the Leagues club is going to do? Stop them from rearranging the roster for the next 2 years? Seriously just think about it. These are two separate organisations that the respective boards are required by law to govern separately. If they don't they get sacked and barred from office.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Thanks. Don't need it and I am fully aware of who is on the board. What I will guarantee you is the Leagues Club board nor the Footy Club board have the expertise to fully understand the machinations of the cap. Why? Because no-one does. They would understand the rudimentary elements of how much we've spent and what we have left but that's about where it ends.

As for the grant, it isn't related to the cap. The cap comes from the NRL payment. What the leagues club does is top them up if they run out or give them dough for the CoE.

What you seem to have brushed aside though is that the NRL have certified our cap as compliant this year which means that the books will show we are OK. So any discussion of the cap at the leagues club would be over in about 10 seconds. All of the machinations going on now are for the future so what is it you think the Leagues club is going to do? Stop them from rearranging the roster for the next 2 years? Seriously just think about it. These are two separate organisations that the respective boards are required by law to govern separately. If they don't they get sacked and barred from office.
I didn’t say the grant was related to the cap. And I’m not talking about the grant the NRL gives the club. I’m talking about the funds the leagues club gives the football club. Call it what you like, a top up, a grant, a gift, a non interest bearing loan, whatever mate. Again you seem to misrepresent what I’m saying. Yes they are separate entities and yes their main business objectives are different, but not entirely, they do have financial ties between each other and the leagues club is one of the football club’s major stakeholders. It’s a structure put into place in 1982 where by the football club controls the leagues club, this ensures the financial future of the footy club, majority directors of leagues club are football club directors. How can you tell me the Chair person of the leagues club didn’t know the mess we we’re in. So the public knew but not the chairmen of the leagues club. Wow! And you say they don’t understand the way the salary cap works either and they talk about it for ten minutes and move on. You’ve definitely made that up. 10 minutes ay? Hahaha, so you were there timing it at board meetings.

Some people really do make up things, delusional I say.

Ever spoken to a Leagues club director before? One day when you decide to take the trip to Canterbury Leagues, may I suggest make it a Sunday night, you will find one of the Leagues club directors there having a quiet drink. Very approachable person, down to earth kind a guy, well respected, always puts the club first, a real gentleman by the way. Just ask him, do the leagues club directors generally know weather the footy club is in some kind of salary cap trouble or not?

10 minutes ay? That’s brilliant

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I didn’t say the grant was related to the cap. And I’m not talking about the grant the NRL gives the club. I’m talking about the funds the leagues club gives the football club. Call it what you like, a top up, a grant, a gift, a non interest bearing loan, whatever mate. Again you seem to misrepresent what I’m saying. Yes they are separate entities and yes their main business objectives are different, but not entirely, they do have financial ties between each other and the leagues club is one of the football club’s major stakeholders. It’s a structure put into place in 1982 where by the football club controls the leagues club, this ensures the financial future of the footy club, majority directors of leagues club are football club directors. How can you tell me the Chair person of the leagues club didn’t know the mess we we’re in. So the public knew but not the chairmen of the leagues club. Wow! And you say they don’t understand the way the salary cap works either and they talk about it for ten minutes and move on. You’ve definitely made that up. 10 minutes ay? Hahaha, so you were there timing it at board meetings.

Some people really do make up things, delusional I say.

Ever spoken to a Leagues club director before? One day when you decide to take the trip to Canterbury Leagues, may I suggest make it a Sunday night, you will find one of the Leagues club directors there having a quiet drink. Very approachable person, down to earth kind a guy, well respected, always puts the club first, a real gentleman by the way. Just ask him, do the leagues club directors generally know weather the footy club is in some kind of salary cap trouble or not?

10 minutes ay? That’s brilliant
So you've decided I haven't done all those things? OK you are obviously a more clever person than me. I've been on various boards at local, state and national level for over 15 years now so I must've been asleep during those as well. I didn't realise the cap was so easy that reading about it in the paper was all you needed to know. That must be where all the clubs are going wrong because when you talk to them they have great difficulty working through the issues. All they needed was a beer and a newspaper.

Again, you ignore the fact that the NRL CERTIFIED OUR CAP FOR THIS YEAR. IT IS BLOODY COMPLIANT. What is going on now is work to free up space so we can improve for NEXT YEAR AND BEYOND. It is the Footy Clubs responsibility to manage it's own affairs, not the Leagues Club. Their biggest problem is the redevelopment not the cap. It is only an issue when the footy club needs money, which it doesn't this year. So stop trying to change the narrative and make condescending remarks. Oh, I've been a member of the Leagues Club for many years and I vote. I know plenty of current and former directors. Have even had them around to my house.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So you've decided I haven't done all those things? OK you are obviously a more clever person than me. I've been on various boards at local, state and national level for over 15 years now so I must've been asleep during those as well. I didn't realise the cap was so easy that reading about it in the paper was all you needed to know. That must be where all the clubs are going wrong because when you talk to them they have great difficulty working through the issues. All they needed was a beer and a newspaper.

Again, you ignore the fact that the NRL CERTIFIED OUR CAP FOR THIS YEAR. IT IS BLOODY COMPLIANT. What is going on now is work to free up space so we can improve for NEXT YEAR AND BEYOND. It is the Footy Clubs responsibility to manage it's own affairs, not the Leagues Club. Their biggest problem is the redevelopment not the cap. It is only an issue when the footy club needs money, which it doesn't this year. So stop trying to change the narrative and make condescending remarks. Oh, I've been a member of the Leagues Club for many years and I vote. I know plenty of current and former directors. Have even had them around to my house.
What a load of dribble!
Again misrepresenting what I'm saying, I didn't say the football club doesn't manage it's own affairs! You're the one changing the narrative buddy.
Who cares how many boards you've been on. What does this relate to Canterbury League's unique affiliation with the football club board, mind you which is structrued very differently to any other NRL club.
The fact of the matter is the Chairman of the Leagues club board backed Dib. Yeh Dib, that same person who announced to the whole world that we signed Hasler for 2 more years, then decided to sack him 5 months later. Which ultimately cost us a big financial payout. Later Peponis comes out publicaly and stated that "there's so much to look forward to in the future" with Ray Dib at the helm. Yes a heartfelt plea to the members. They knew mate, they knew the shitty situation we were in and kept backing them. And if you think the Chairman of the Leagues club didn't know we were in over our heads with the salary cap situation then you can continue to live in your fantasy world.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
What a load of dribble!
Again misrepresenting what I'm saying, I didn't say the football club doesn't manage it's own affairs! You're the one changing the narrative buddy.
Who cares how many boards you've been on. What does this relate to Canterbury League's unique affiliation with the football club board, mind you which is structrued very differently to any other NRL club.
The fact of the matter is the Chairman of the Leagues club board backed Dib. Yeh Dib, that same person who announced to the whole world that we signed Hasler for 2 more years, then decided to sack him 5 months later. Which ultimately cost us a big financial payout. Later Peponis comes out publicaly and stated that "there's so much to look forward to in the future" with Ray Dib at the helm. Yes a heartfelt plea to the members. They knew mate, they knew the shitty situation we were in and kept backing them. And if you think the Chairman of the Leagues club didn't know we were in over our heads with the salary cap situation then you can continue to live in your fantasy world.
I have no doubt Peponis knew about every detail and backed Dib to the hilt to avoid the skeletons coming out of the closest.

It's ironic that Peponis said the only reason he was staying around was to keep an eye on the new football club board when he knew what Dib had been doing.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Peponis got rid of Hughes...it was Peponis who instigated and handled the reactionary handling of the media at the time.

https://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/03/18/1079199366366.html

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
All good ..apart from your blind Ennis love, you've always seemed fair minded in the past ;)..there's no easy fix to our problems...it's beyond frustrating hey but we'll hang in there.
Lol I don't have an Ennis love it's more an appreciation of how hard it wouldve been to captain a team under Des's ridiculous game plan.
He used every ounce of lateral thinking to get us into the GF and when he got injured the lack of game plan got exposed big time

Status
Not open for further replies.