Current board do not deserve another chance (besides Mortimer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Pretty funny that Castle has a Bachelor of Commerce yet can't even do basic maths.

She even admitted in one of her "Blog with a Hog" bullshit things, that she "isn't very good with numbers", when asked about the salary cap.

We already know that though, because she certainly failed at counting calories.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Pretty funny that Castle has a Bachelor of Commerce yet can't even do basic maths.

She even admitted in one of her "Blog with a Hog" bullshit things, that she "isn't very good with numbers", when asked about the salary cap.

We already know that though, because she certainly failed at counting calories.
Unbelievable, probably didn't need a high level of maths back in the day when she did it

Hot Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Unbelievable, probably didn't need a high level of maths back in the day when she did it
I have the same degree most likely around the same time, except mine was completed in Sydney. I can tell you that Accounting 101 is a full year subject in the first year and that Business Finance is also a compulsory subject. Don't believe for 1 second she was unaware or could not comprehend what was happening with the cap. She jumped ship a year early because she knew what was coming. She was the smartest of all 3 (her, Dib, and Des) that put us in this mess and deserves no sympathy nor leniency for claimed ignorance.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have the same degree most likely around the same time, except mine was completed in Sydney. I can tell you that Accounting 101 is a full year subject in the first year and that Business Finance is also a compulsory subject. Don't believe for 1 second she was unaware or could not comprehend what was happening with the cap. She jumped ship a year early because she knew what was coming. She was the smartest of all 3 (her, Dib, and Des) that put us in this mess and deserves no sympathy nor leniency for claimed ignorance.
You should've put your hand for the job, I'm sure you have more of a clue about football in your little finger than she has in her whole body.

Hot Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
You should've put your hand for the job, I'm sure you have more of a clue about football in your little finger than she has in her whole body.
Thanks mate. Don't know if I could handle the roasting I would get on the kennel though.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
TWELVE years after the infamous Coffs Harbour sexual assault case ripped the Canterbury Bulldogs apart, the NSW Police Force has gone to the rare step of reviewing its handling of the case – and it’s due to a year-long campaign of unrelenting pressure by Dogs great Graeme Hughes.

On February 22, 2004, police received a complaint alleging several Bulldogs players had sexually assaulted a woman at a hotel in the NSW North Coast town.

What followed was a TV, radio and newspaper firestorm as police brought players in for questioning and released statements to the media on their progress in the investigation – statements that are one of the issues at the heart of Hughes’ mission to have the case reviewed.

“Players were put through hell in the court of public opinion with smears on their reputations that last to this day,” Hughes tells RLW.

“I want the NSW Police to apologise to them and the club.”

On top of that, the team lost about $650,000 in sponsorship and was fined a further $500,000 by the NRL, with $350,000 of that suspended.

Club great Steve Mortimer, then Bulldogs CEO, resigned over the scandal and long-serving team manager Garry Hughes, brother of Graeme, was sacked.

No charges were ever laid against any of the players, and former detectives who worked the case insist it was obvious very early on that the evidence against the Bulldogs didn’t stack up – another of the big issues Hughes is raising.

Hughes first made a complaint about the handling of the case to the NSW Police Force a year ago. He’s since chased the matter up numerous times, even corresponding with the NSW Minister for Police and Office of the NSW Premier.

Eventually, he succeeded in having the case reviewed. That review was concluded in mid-August and is now with the NSW Police Office of General Counsel, awaiting a decision on whether action will be taken over its findings.

As RLW went to press, that decision had not been taken – and the NSW Police had not given Hughes a time frame for when that might happen, despite having had two months to do so.

The former Bulldog’s list of complaints over the case is long and complex, but some of his key grievances are:

– That the investigation was pursued despite the lack of evidence to support the accusations – something detectives on the case repeatedly pointed out to their superiors.

– That false and misleading statements were made to the media in spite of the evidence.

-That police failed to consider charges against the alleged victim for making false accusations, even though detectives wanted to re-interview her with a view to doing so.

-That police referred the case to the Department of Public Prosecutions unnecessarily, given the obvious lack of evidence.

“I want to get a clear explanation about why millions of rugby league fans didn’t get access to the truth,” says Hughes.

“I also want to know why no apology was made to the club and the players.

“Guys are still suffering over this and many people still think of them as guilty. That can’t continue.”

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
So, does that mean you don't believe you have to have a professional qualification to be a CEO now? Or is it that you could just be wrong about the importance of having an understanding of the industry you work in......

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most CEOs will have a bcomm but will let the cfo talk to the numbers.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So, does that mean you don't believe you have to have a professional qualification to be a CEO now? Or is it that you could just be wrong about the importance of having an understanding of the industry you work in......
I think leadership is more intrinsic than taught. You don't necessarily need to know about the product because a CEO's role is to manage policies and people not the product.
The reason I favour professionals in the position of managing people is because professionals are disciplined and aren't as likely to be guided by their hormones.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I think leadership is more intrinsic than taught. You don't necessarily need to know about the product because a CEO's role is to manage policies and people not the product.
The reason I favour professionals in the position of managing people is because professionals are disciplined and aren't as likely to be guided by their hormones.
But wasn't your definition of a professional someone who had a degree as opposed to someone who had played footy? Now we know Raels had a degree that seems to argue against your preposition. As a university lecturer in one of my past lives I would hardly argue against the benefits of under/post grad quals but equally I know that just obtaining those quals is not some right of passage to a capability to lead. There is a lot more to it than that. You should get you hands on a copy of Matt Elliott's description of what a FG coach/player is. I'm sure it would be on youtube. It is fascinating how he compares what they do to corporate functions. I heard him recite it on radio last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.