Pick Up/Dating Tips, Dating Stories or How You Met Your Partner Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I remember with one of my previous ex's, I used to look at other girls deliberately just to stir her up a little lol. I'd say "Oh babe, look at that hot chick over there" and she would actually burn lol. I remember one time I was walking with her in a mall sometime and we were holding hands. This chick who must've been an employee in one of the shops was blatantly checking me out. Anyway I started smiling as a result, and the Mrs told me what's so funny. I said "a hot chick in a shop we just passed is checking my out." She got so pissed off, she actually dragged me towards the shop because she wanted to see who it was. I said "What are you going to do, start a fight with her you psycho?" - LMAO. Good times. I mean I know they're ex's and things don't work out, that's life, but these are memories you can't forget. I have fond memories of the good times with all my ex's, and I'm sure it goes both ways. It's life guys.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
It was the year 2000. Six months earlier, I'd just come out of a dedicated 3-yr relationship with my heart broken. Left behind 100+ friends and her family (who liked me alot). I was all bitter and twisted and decided from now on it would be "me time".

So around about Feb/March 2000 she started to appear more and more in my Sanity store. I have a good rapport with all my customers, her included, and on the sly my full-timer drops the hint "hey, that Robyn girl likes you". So we play the 'flirting' game for a little while, but I do that with a lot of ladies. My next move is to "go to lunch". We do that. The next move is "lets meet up at Pub X tonight, I'll bring some friends, you bring some friends". We do that. We start blending social circles. We keep talking via shop visits.

It becomes apparent to me, that we are both 'damaged goods', and I can see how this will end. I'm well aware I'm in a negative headspace when it comes to relationships, and given her little issues she deserves a boyfriend who can give her the support/attention she deserves. Right now, that's not me, and even though we start fooling around, I don't feel right taking advantage of her affection. It's clear to everyone around us she really likes me, but I maintain a healthy level of denial telling myself that I'm doing a good job keeping it all at a distance. If she finds someone that will treat her how she deserves, then good for her. We both date other people. We continue to hang out.

Things change for the worse in Aug 2000 as I lose my father suddenly and tragically to suicide. I'm 24. By coincidence, she was on a phone call to me in the minutes before he took is life, and in the immediacy of the shock after discovering my father, numb by the shock, I think "I need to call her back" and said something like "So, my Dad just died". She was at my house within minutes, and stayed for days.

The next two years are a blur of depression ,anxiety, mental illness, and trying to recover ... but the following occurs. She moves in to my house due to her housemates stealing her money. I've changed roles at work and I employ her at my workplace as part of a team of 40 casuals. Our lives are more and more intertwined, but I'm still not OK with us as a couple thing because I'm too fucked up for her to depend on me in that way.

Eventually ... around about 2002, the penny drops. Here's how.

I have a lifelong liver disease that requires frequent attention and was diagnosed well before we ever met. It so happens one fateful day I was in hospital emergency department fighting off a rather large episode of gall-stone type pain. I sent her a text to update the situation "I'm in hospital, Mum is home, you can let yourself in." and go back to being miserable and sore. She texts back "I'll pop in before I go home" and this gets me thinking ... "Why ?" .... after all she has keys to get in, this is out of the way a little bit, and she has work tomorrow .... if it were me I don't think I'd do it .... and BOOM it hit me .... "She does this because despite my two years of mediocre bullshit, she still likes me, and she simply wants to".

.......and then the imagination went down a path that I have not returned from.

I imagined her happy with someone else and living an alternate life without the bullshit my life brings, and when I did, I had to be honest with myself and admit I didn't really like how that made me feel. What would hospital be like in a future without her random visit ? What would a future feel like without us ever talking about keys, or work, or nights out ? What would our social circle look like if another dude was introduced and I had to watch her being happy ?

Everything I could ever want emotionally, physically, was right under my fucking nose the whole time and I was too much of a dick to see it.

So, in the space of 3-5mins of deep thought, I made a decision ... and haven't looked back.
If she would allow me, I would like to be her boyfriend, but this time I'm 110% all-in !!!

I apologised for my past behaviour. I thanked her for her loyalty. I offered her my heart and dedication. And of course she said 'yes'.

That was 2002-ish.
We had our first child in 2006.
A second in 2007.
We got married in 2010.
Had a third child in 2012.

We may not be rich, but to each other, we're very fucking valuable.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It was the year 2000. Six months earlier, I'd just come out of a dedicated 3-yr relationship with my heart broken. Left behind 100+ friends and her family (who liked me alot). I was all bitter and twisted and decided from now on it would be "me time".

So around about Feb/March 2000 she started to appear more and more in my Sanity store. I have a good rapport with all my customers, her included, and on the sly my full-timer drops the hint "hey, that Robyn girl likes you". So we play the 'flirting' game for a little while, but I do that with a lot of ladies. My next move is to "go to lunch". We do that. The next move is "lets meet up at Pub X tonight, I'll bring some friends, you bring some friends". We do that. We start blending social circles. We keep talking via shop visits.

It becomes apparent to me, that we are both 'damaged goods', and I can see how this will end. I'm well aware I'm in a negative headspace when it comes to relationships, and given her little issues she deserves a boyfriend who can give her the support/attention she deserves. Right now, that's not me, and even though we start fooling around, I don't feel right taking advantage of her affection. It's clear to everyone around us she really likes me, but I maintain a healthy level of denial telling myself that I'm doing a good job keeping it all at a distance. If she finds someone that will treat her how she deserves, then good for her. We both date other people. We continue to hang out.

Things change for the worse in Aug 2000 as I lose my father suddenly and tragically to suicide. I'm 24. By coincidence, she was on a phone call to me in the minutes before he took is life, and in the immediacy of the shock after discovering my father, numb by the shock, I think "I need to call her back" and said something like "So, my Dad just died". She was at my house within minutes, and stayed for days.

The next two years are a blur of depression ,anxiety, mental illness, and trying to recover ... but the following occurs. She moves in to my house due to her housemates stealing her money. I've changed roles at work and I employ her at my workplace as part of a team of 40 casuals. Our lives are more and more intertwined, but I'm still not OK with us as a couple thing because I'm too fucked up for her to depend on me in that way.

I have a lifelong liver disease that requires frequent attention and was diagnosed well before we ever met. It so happens one fateful day I was in hospital emergency department fighting off a rather large episode of gall-stone type pain. I sent her a text to update the situation "I'm in hospital, Mum is home, you can let yourself in." and go back to being miserable and sore. She texts back "I'll pop in before I go home" and this gets me thinking ... "Why ?" .... after all she has keys to get in, this is out of the way a little bit, and she has work tomorrow .... if it were me I don't think I'd do it .... and BOOM it hit me .... "She does this because despite my two years of mediocre bullshit, she still likes me, and she simply wants to".

I imagined her happy with someone else and living an alternate life without the bullshit my life brings, and when I did, I had to be honest with myself and admit I didn't really like how that made me feel. What would hospital be like in a future without her random visit ? What would a future feel like without us ever talking about keys, or work, or nights out ? What would our social circle look like if another dude was introduced and I had to watch her being happy ?

Everything I could ever want emotionally, physically, was right under my fucking nose the whole time and I was too much of a dick to see it.

So, in the space of 3-5mins of deep thought, I made a decision ... and haven't looked back.
If she would allow me, I would like to be her boyfriend, but this time I'm 110% all-in !!!

I apologised for my past behaviour. I thanked her for her loyalty. I offered her my heart and dedication. And of course she said 'yes'.

That was 2002-ish.
A second in 2007.
We got married in 2010.

Know exactly what you're saying and unfortunately I've passed up 3 girls in the past who were committed to me. There's definitely a bit of regret in me as all 3 would've worked out well.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score

That was 2002-ish.
A second in 2007.
We got married in 2010.

Damnit CK ... you've gone an made ol' softy here almost tear up !

My story share similarities. It was March 2000 when we met, but we've got to rewind a little first.

My previous girlfriend (we dated for 18 months a few years before that) was a really top chick. I'm talking back when I was 17/18 years old. She loved me, and I was too dumb to see it, accused her of cheating as the first signs of my mental illness crept in (insecurities). A car crash, and a breakdown of that relationship after I pushed her away early 99 kicked things off.

A string of failed relationships then resulted over the course of a few months:
NO 1. I was catfished by a chick who looked nothing like she claimed. She turned out to be some chick into numerology/astrology/non practicing paganism.
NO 2. I was talking to one chick but it was actually her friend that was interested (and I was not).
NO 3. Her south eastern european father threatened to bash me if I was seen with his daughter as he already had a nice boy he wanted her to date.
NO 4. Things were going okay except some hectic from high school also fancied her (I was 19 she was 18). When I was at her place one day him and 2 mates rocked up and beat the shit out of me, stomping my head on a gutter. Still got the scars to this day. Had to end that with her for my safety, and those ***** got away with it.

Shortly after this I lost my job, my car, and life spiralled out of control. Attempted suicide twice (once with long last effects), and was diagnosed with clinical depression, severe anxiety, irritable depression/anger induced anxiety.

Events unfolded shortly after and I ended up beng forced to live with my grandparents for about 6 months from memory.

It was here that my life changed.

March 2000 I was feeling a little better, on meds, doing my courses, living at grandparents place on disability payments at the time as I was medically unfit for work. I was lonely and jumped onto a dating site (soulmates I think it was called). Spent $20 to buy some tokens to contact others. A few I never heard back from (or it fizzled), but one chick replied. She was new to Sydney, working as an au pair, and was seeking friends. We liased a few times over the site, then on the phone, before eventually meeting in Town Hall.

I remember the day... the day my life changed. I was nervous as all fuck, and to that point I don't think I had seen or been given a picture. I get to Town Hall station and I'm like "I'll have to call her to see where she is". So I'm standing there, pick up the mobile (Ericsson GF768 for the win back then!) and call her. About 5m away someones phone rings. "Hey I'm here where are you". Her "I'm here wearing blue striped jumped and jeans and a beanie". I look at the persons phone who had rung... It's her!! At the time it's strange that I didn't check her out from a visual perspective (like "woah this chick is stunning"), but rather "she seems like a nice person". We had a nice day out in the city, which ended up in the Botanic Gardens throwing lemons at bloody annoying magpies. Without warning she plants a kiss on my cheek. That was it.. It just felt right.

Fast forward she moved back to her home town (long distance relationships suuuuuuuccck), then back to Sydney again, renting as I lived at home still. Things fell into place and my anger issues went completely. Anxiety and Depression got less and less medication disappeared, and I was learning to manage things.

Friends and family got married as we got the butt of many jokes "when are you getting married/you guys are next"... but it never happened.

March 2011 or 2012 - We had our anniversary, and I figured I'd do something really special. I just told her to pack an overnight bag and dress up nicely. Went into the Shangri-La hotel, and we had a room on like the 36th floor overlooking the harbour. Went out to dinner at Quay, and after being cockblocked by a cruise ship, the stunning view opened up. Had a top meal and our anniversary was going great. Back to the room, and she sees a chocolates gift box and a letter on a tray left for us whilst we were out. I KNEW she'd open it (she always does). So she grabs the letter and starts reading, and reading and reading. She then grabs the box, opens it up and her face lit up. Little did she know I had planned for weeks before that to have a proposal letter and ring dropped off. She said Yes.

Sep 2012 we got married at a waterfront destination, and the rest is history really. Last year celebrated 5 years married, and I honestly would not want anyone else. She's an amazing person and we just click so well together. The fact she's hot with a cracking body is just a bonus. :grinning:

So yeah .... that's how we met...

Wahesh

Reaction score

My story share similarities. It was March 2000 when we met, but we've got to rewind a little first.

My previous girlfriend (we dated for 18 months a few years before that) was a really top chick. I'm talking back when I was 17/18 years old. She loved me, and I was too dumb to see it, accused her of cheating as the first signs of my mental illness crept in (insecurities). A car crash, and a breakdown of that relationship after I pushed her away early 99 kicked things off.

NO 1. I was catfished by a chick who looked nothing like she claimed. She turned out to be some chick into numerology/astrology/non practicing paganism.
NO 2. I was talking to one chick but it was actually her friend that was interested (and I was not).
NO 3. Her south eastern european father threatened to bash me if I was seen with his daughter as he already had a nice boy he wanted her to date.
NO 4. Things were going okay except some hectic from high school also fancied her (I was 19 she was 18). When I was at her place one day him and 2 mates rocked up and beat the shit out of me, stomping my head on a gutter. Still got the scars to this day. Had to end that with her for my safety, and those ***** got away with it.

Shortly after this I lost my job, my car, and life spiralled out of control. Attempted suicide twice (once with long last effects), and was diagnosed with clinical depression, severe anxiety, irritable depression/anger induced anxiety.

Events unfolded shortly after and I ended up beng forced to live with my grandparents for about 6 months from memory.

March 2000 I was feeling a little better, on meds, doing my courses, living at grandparents place on disability payments at the time as I was medically unfit for work. I was lonely and jumped onto a dating site (soulmates I think it was called). Spent $20 to buy some tokens to contact others. A few I never heard back from (or it fizzled), but one chick replied. She was new to Sydney, working as an au pair, and was seeking friends. We liased a few times over the site, then on the phone, before eventually meeting in Town Hall.

I remember the day... the day my life changed. I was nervous as all fuck, and to that point I don't think I had seen or been given a picture. I get to Town Hall station and I'm like "I'll have to call her to see where she is". So I'm standing there, pick up the mobile (Ericsson GF768 for the win back then!) and call her. About 5m away someones phone rings. "Hey I'm here where are you". Her "I'm here wearing blue striped jumped and jeans and a beanie". I look at the persons phone who had rung... It's her!! At the time it's strange that I didn't check her out from a visual perspective (like "woah this chick is stunning"), but rather "she seems like a nice person". We had a nice day out in the city, which ended up in the Botanic Gardens throwing lemons at bloody annoying magpies. Without warning she plants a kiss on my cheek. That was it.. It just felt right.

Fast forward she moved back to her home town (long distance relationships suuuuuuuccck), then back to Sydney again, renting as I lived at home still. Things fell into place and my anger issues went completely. Anxiety and Depression got less and less medication disappeared, and I was learning to manage things.

Friends and family got married as we got the butt of many jokes "when are you getting married/you guys are next"... but it never happened.

March 2011 or 2012 - We had our anniversary, and I figured I'd do something really special. I just told her to pack an overnight bag and dress up nicely. Went into the Shangri-La hotel, and we had a room on like the 36th floor overlooking the harbour. Went out to dinner at Quay, and after being cockblocked by a cruise ship, the stunning view opened up. Had a top meal and our anniversary was going great. Back to the room, and she sees a chocolates gift box and a letter on a tray left for us whilst we were out. I KNEW she'd open it (she always does). So she grabs the letter and starts reading, and reading and reading. She then grabs the box, opens it up and her face lit up. Little did she know I had planned for weeks before that to have a proposal letter and ring dropped off. She said Yes.

Sep 2012 we got married at a waterfront destination, and the rest is history really. Last year celebrated 5 years married, and I honestly would not want anyone else. She's an amazing person and we just click so well together. The fact she's hot with a cracking body is just a bonus. :grinning:

Bloody hell bro. Sounds like you have an amazing woman as well. Amazing women are usually the ones behind good men.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bloody hell bro. Sounds like you have an amazing woman as well. Amazing women are usually the ones behind good men.
With the right woman behind you, who believes in you, you feel like you can take on the world. If you find an amazing woman like that, put a ring on it.

Although the one time i did that unfortunately in the end it didn't work out. Out of all the women i've been with she definitely was the only one who left a lasting mark to this day and knew me inside out.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I was working as a scuba diving instructor in Semporna on the east coast of Sabah, Malaysia (the island of Borneo), and i took a few days off to go to one of the nature lodges on the Kinabatangan river to see Orangutans, Pygmy elephants and the likes, where i met my wife and her friend.
At the time my wife spoke but a few words of english, (she is french) but with her friend being fluent in english we managed to hit it off.
We spent a few days hanging out and then a week later her and her friend went home to france.
A month later i finished up my job in Borneo and went to Indonesia to catch up with some friends and do some diving, and my wife decided that she wanted to see me again and she flew out to meet me in bali for two weeks.
By the end of the two weeks we were pretty smitten with eachother, but we both had to return to our own countries.
We kept in touch every day, and a few months later she decided to come to australia on a working holiday visa.
She touched down in sydney and i introduced her to some of my family, bought her a bulldogs jersey, and took her to a game in penrith. Sadly we lost. (Early 2015).
We then travelled the east coast back to Cairns, spent a year and a half there, i skyped her parents and asked if i could marry their daughter, proposed to her, moved to france, got married in a beautiful big château on a hill in front of the pyrenees mountains, picked grapes in a vineyard, currently work in a bar, and were heading back to oz for good in 2 months.
Hard work squeezing all of that into a few paragraphs. Lol

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was working as a scuba diving instructor in Semporna on the east coast of Sabah, Malaysia (the island of Borneo), and i took a few days off to go to one of the nature lodges on the Kinabatangan river to see Orangutans, Pygmy elephants and the likes, where i met my wife and her friend.
At the time my wife spoke but a few words of english, (she is french) but with her friend being fluent in english we managed to hit it off.
We spent a few days hanging out and then a week later her and her friend went home to france.
A month later i finished up my job in Borneo and went to Indonesia to catch up with some friends and do some diving, and my wife decided that she wanted to see me again and she flew out to meet me in bali for two weeks.
By the end of the two weeks we were pretty smitten with eachother, but we both had to return to our own countries.
We kept in touch every day, and a few months later she decided to come to australia on a working holiday visa.
She touched down in sydney and i introduced her to some of my family, bought her a bulldogs jersey, and took her to a game in penrith. Sadly we lost. (Early 2015).
We then travelled the east coast back to Cairns, spent a year and a half there, i skyped her parents and asked if i could marry their daughter, proposed to her, moved to france, got married in a beautiful big château on a hill in front of the pyrenees mountains, picked grapes in a vineyard, currently work in a bar, and were heading back to oz for good in 2 months.
Hard work squeezing all of that into a few paragraphs. Lol
Nice story mate. It's funny how things work out and the places u find that special someone. Like the old saying, when ur not looking for someone is when u find someone.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nice story mate. It's funny how things work out and the places u find that special someone. Like the old saying, when ur not looking for someone is when u find someone.
So true mate. I never thought id marry. I was happy being single, travelling and working. I had it all sorted and then bam!!!
Our story is as close to serendipity as it gets.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
So true mate. I never thought id marry. I was happy being single, travelling and working. I had it all sorted and then bam!!!
Our story is as close to serendipity as it gets.
It's written like a Nicholas Sparks novel how it all happened lol.

Also, lets not worry about the fact i know about Nicholas Sparks :tongueclosed:

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'd tell my story - but many people on here would know it.

For those that don't - the guy who proposed to that girl at the first back to belmore game v Storm in 2015?

That was me.

Why is it a story?

Cause we broke up 6 months later after 4.5 years.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

wow , what a story and what a girl!

all I want to know , how the fuck could you get married the same month we lost the grand final?

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score

For those that don't - the guy who proposed to that girl at the first back to belmore game v Storm in 2015?

That was me.

Why is it a story?

Was she playing Desball too? :p

On a serious note sorry it didn't work out for ya champ.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
wow , what a story and what a girl!

all I want to know , how the fuck could you get married the same month we lost the grand final?
Because he probably needed something good to happen after that loss.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

That was 2002-ish.
A second in 2007.
We got married in 2010.

Amazing..a great story..thanks for sharing such a personal story.. And good luck in the battles you face bro..I know one thing..your amazing wife will be by your side all the way..

Ps..you sound like one of the riches people I’ve heard of..

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
It's what's on the inside that counts.. and you seem to have a big heart Mr 95% ... Any woman who can't see that is crazy!
Hmm that reminds me of something..

What's something important to you inside of a woman?

My penis.

Last edited:

Wahesh

Reaction score

That was me.

Why is it a story?

:( I feel for ya mate.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Beautiful Mr I.. may you guys have many years of love and happiness.. Wonderful stuff..

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
A date story of mine. I had been seeing a girl for a few months and we hadn't really had a proper date. So i said to her we should organize to finally have that proper date and i'd sort it out to give her a surprise.

After working it out i let her know. She kept at me trying to find out what i had organized. I told her that she needed to get dressed up because it was gonna be fancy. She then kept at me so i told her it was a fancy new restaurant that had open up and that i had a surprise waiting for her when we got there.

At this time i should point out that she was a bit of a ditzy blonde. She was at me again about the name of the restaurant so i said it's called The Golden Arches and it new and fancy.

So the night came for our date. She got dressed up to the 9's hair and make up looking really nice. I had my suit on to look the part. Getting ready to go i told her she had to put on the blindfold because i had a surprise waiting for when we turned up. She did and we went on our way.

I pulled up in the car park and said to her we were there. We got out of the car and i walked her up to the stairway to the entry. I said she could take off the blindfold which she did to be greeted with a McDonalds restaurant. She just looked at me weirdly and i waved my hands and said surprise. She said you made me get dressed up like this to come here it's embarrassing because i look out of place. I couldn't stop laughing though. I said i told her there was gonna be a surprise. After a couple of minutes she ended up seeing the funny side of it. And we ended up going in anyway and had a maccas date cuz why not and i said i'd organize a real proper date for next time.

So the following week i organized another date and told her again to get dressed up and all that. Did the blindfold thing again. Drove to the restaurant. Sitting in the car i told her to take off the blondfold...guess what, we were in the McDonalds drive thru. If looks could kill she had killed me 10x over. She just continually kept saying really over and over while i laughed. I said nah i'm messing with ya i actually have something organized just stopped by Maccas to see ur reaction.

Anyway we ended up finally having that proper date but it was fun messing with her before hand. She was actually a pretty good sport because she knew i liked stirring and the proper date made up for all the joking around.
You’re a dickhead lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.