Canterbury Bulldogs missed chance to sign NRL grand final star Cameron Munster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Boom Melbourne five-eighth Cameron Munster could have been in the blue and gold of Canterbury instead of preparing for his second grand final for the Storm.

Much has been made of the recruitment and retention blunders made at Belmore in the lead-up to and since the sacking of coach Des Hasler last week.

Now, Fairfax Media can reveal that Munster is another one that got away for the Bulldogs.

The 23-year-old's former Intrust Super Cup coach Jason Hetherington says he had tried to convince Canterbury to sign a teenage Munster when he first appeared on the scene at the Central Queensland Capras.

A three-time grand finalist with the Bulldogs in the '90s and a premiership winner in 1995, the former State of Origin hooker is thrilled at the rise of a player he thrust in at fullback in Rockhampton "when he was still riding a BMX to training".

Had Hetherington had his way initially, however, Munster would have been picked up by his beloved Canterbury.
"I just tried to find him the best opportunity ... I knew he had plenty of potential and the best part of a lot of these bush kids is that they're that raw talent," Hetherington said.

"I made a few phone calls and just tried to find an opportunity for him. Obviously my alliance and heart lies with the Bulldogs and I went that direction first.

"I would have liked for them to have shown a bit more interest to be honest with you, but it's a competitive world out there."

Ultimately, the Storm seized on the opportunity to recruit him in mid-2013 and four years later he is part of a "spine" alongside Cameron Smith, Billy Slater and Cooper Cronk that is on the cusp of an Origin and premiership double.

"He's probably kicked on a bit quicker than I thought he would have," Hetherington said. "He's a tough little bugger. Nothing seems to faze him or intimidate him. The occasion doesn't seem to matter to Cameron. He was like that with me, too."

Munster told Fairfax Media he was determined to make the most of the occasion at ANZ Stadium on Sunday. The Storm's 14-12 defeat to Cronulla in last year's grand final has only made him more eager to help Melbourne claim the title.

"I think I maybe might have taken it for granted last year," Munster said.

"The real thing that hit me last year was Luke Lewis, when he won the Clive Churchill [Medal] and said he won his first grand final when he was 20 and didn't win another one until he was 33. I guess [it's about] just taking those moments when it counts.

"That's what hit me – you don't know when you're going to play in another grand final. I was young last year, I'm still young now, but I feel like I've got a little bit more experience and hopefully that helps me this year."

What Canterbury or any other club could not offer an emerging Munster when he was up for grabs four years ago was the chance to play alongside his idol. He has blossomed at close quarters to Slater.

"I used to look up to obviously Bill when I was a young kid," he said. Just the stuff that he did on the field was freaky.

"The way he prepares himself off the field is something that I've really taken out of his book. To come down to this club to watch what he does on the field and off the field ... it is a credit to him and his family. I still pinch myself being around those blokes."

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Ofcourse we missed out. We're running an all male car wash not a football club.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
under des, he would have become another Mbye or Liccha

Munster should count himself very lucky
Your right... If he played at the dogs he most prob would not have met Thurston, Cronk, Slater, Cam Smith and Inlgis meaning he would have been just another talent with no clue what to do.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure what recruitment or retention blunders he is referring to since Des was sacked. Been plenty under Des' watch.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i had heard we missed out on Munster but not the bit about Hetho. he is another true bulldog.... he even had a few bulldogs if i remember correctly.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Another to add to the ever lengthening list of our recruitment/retention ballsups since 2012

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i had heard we missed out on Munster but not the bit about Hetho. he is another true bulldog.... he even had a few bulldogs if i remember correctly.
Hetherington, was the reason why I created the thread, I didn’t realize crusher had external help with recruitment! He had other talent scouts doing his work for him, and he still couldn’t do his job effectively!

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Well done Cleal. Hasler set himself up as well as the other Manly leaches. Meanwhile we had quality like Loko, Kennar, Mitch Brown and others running around for us.

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m surprised cleale lasted as long as he did to be honest. Would really love to know who else he had knocking on the door at the time he rejected the likes of munster and Mitchell

Status
Not open for further replies.