Opinion The Game That Made Bennett Spend Big On Averillo

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Averillo is a Gun, problem is we never got to see his full potential, people complain about his defence but that can be fixed once he is kept in one position.
We didnt get to see his full potential because weve let him go before reaching an age of development where full potential can be reached which is a crying shame

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lots of opinions on Avo and I’m not sure who is right and who is wrong, but I’m very disappointed he’s gone. One of our most consistent over a very ordinary period for the club.
It was the same with Sam Perrett. He was safe under a high ball, could run; and score more than his fair share of tries. Yet, some Kennellers consistently called for his sacking.

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our fans don't deserve nice things, we won't ever be successful until our fan base changes.
Tip: save all the trees that are cut down for your tissues, and use a hand towel, preferably 100% cotton, so you don't rub your skin red raw from dabbing those tears away.

As if our fan base is the reason Averillo does not know what defence means.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It was the same with Sam Perrett. He was safe under a high ball, could run; and score more than his fair share of tries. Yet, some Kennellers consistently called for his sacking.
It was and is still disgraceful. He was a reliable and consistent clubman. He killed it in 2014 when called upon to play fullback. Some of his defensive efforts and his work rate was outstanding.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
We offered money, he wanted more, if he was loyal he’d take the offer. Get over him!
Exactly. Those dirty on Avo’s departure overlook that the club’s initial position was a desire to keep him. He was made an offer and there’s no evidence it was lowball or anything other than reasonable. He chose an alternative - money and in his own words an opportunity to be coached by Skeletor. He wasn’t simply not re-signed like Flanagan, Waddell etc.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Exactly. Those dirty on Avo’s departure overlook that the club’s initial position was a desire to keep him. He was made an offer and there’s no evidence it was lowball or anything other than reasonable. He chose an alternative - money and in his own words an opportunity to be coached by Skeletor. He wasn’t simply not re-signed like Flanagan, Waddell etc.
Funny thing is I am pretty sure when Wayne wanted to come to the Bulldogs the leader of the Rayancheros was against it... But apparently the same bloke thinks we have forced Avo out of the club.

Purley from a sporting perspective I dont blame Jake at all for wanting to play under Bennett in a team that was firing but lacking depth. I reckon he will go well under Skelator, and who knows we might get him back at 25 or 26 as an established gun centre.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Tip: save all the trees that are cut down for your tissues, and use a hand towel, preferably 100% cotton, so you don't rub your skin red raw from dabbing those tears away.

As if our fan base is the reason Averillo does not know what defence means.
Funny that tool talking about the fan base, he hasn’t got 1good thing to say unless it suits his narrative. “ I told you so” never gets things wrong just ask him.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Purley from a sporting perspective I dont blame Jake at all for wanting to play under Bennett in a team that was firing but lacking depth. I reckon he will go well under Skelator, and who knows we might get him back at 25 or 26 as an established gun centre.

Let’s hope not. It’s like wanting Meaney back after a stint with the storm. They chose to leave and I really hope in few years we have quality coming through the ranks that are at least on par with the likes of avo and Meaney

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
There’s a small problem of logic as I see it, Bennett only has 2024 coaching the Dolphins then Woolf takes over. So Averillo signed a 3 year contract and went to the Dolphins primarily for 1 year of coaching by Bennett, I don’t think so.

My view is the extra contract value and time (3 years versus 2 years) was far more of an attraction than 1 year of Bennett. Which pretty much confirms that the Dolphins contract offer was noticeably higher than ours.

Always a Bulldog

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
There’s a small problem of logic as I see it, Bennett only has 2024 coaching the Dolphins then Woolf takes over. So Averillo signed a 3 year contract and went to the Dolphins primarily for 1 year of coaching by Bennett, I don’t think so.

My view is the extra contract value and time (3 years versus 2 years) was far more of an attraction than 1 year of Bennett. Which pretty much confirms that the Dolphins contract offer was noticeably higher than ours.
Yeah I’m sure the Skeletor factor was a bonus - a cherry on top if you will. Money would’ve been the main difference. I won’t speculate on what that difference was as I don’t know - but one conversation I did have suggested that the amount proposed by Averillo’s management wasn’t even entertained by the Dogs, suggesting the Dolphins offer had a premium.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It was and is still disgraceful. He was a reliable and consistent clubman. He killed it in 2014 when called upon to play fullback. Some of his defensive efforts and his work rate was outstanding.
lol killed it? Come on mate. He made so many mistakes but had the reputation for being reliable..

the amount of high fives he gave his teammates after a mistake was insane.
He was lucky des hasler was the type of coach that would pick and stick. It was very hard breaking into a des hasler side if you were not picked in round 1.

perret did a job for us but I was happy to see him
Retire.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was simply a case of too many $'s to compete. Good luck to the kid...even though I love the dogs if I was his dad 100% right decision to go to flippers

Moey91

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And how do you think he’s going to do that without forwards laying the platform and good ball from his halves? You guys are going to turn on Crichton very quickly when you realise he’s not superman.
Sooooo what did Averillo achieve? You all dick ride him so bad knowing he was average!

I don’t give a fuck I won’t hate on Crichton, atleast you know he gives 110% and will possibly inspire this team (Which is what we lack) He also played major roles in his GFs! Stop acting like he won’t impact this team….

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Sooooo what did Averillo achieve? You all dick ride him so bad knowing he was average!

I don’t give a fuck I won’t hate on Crichton, atleast you know he gives 110% and will possibly inspire this team (Which is what we lack) He also played major roles in his GFs! Stop acting like he won’t impact this team….
Excuse me

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Averillo wouldn't have made our starting 13 this year anyway,and I'll be surprised if he makes The dolphins starting 13. I can see Bennett playing him as a 14