News CENTRES OF ATTENTION

KLil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Both Alamoti and Averillo have plenty of things to work on to become consistent regular NRL centres

I know we are all predicting who will fit in where, but I wouldn't discount the possibilty that neither will end up as our first choice centres

If Joash Papalii comes through as a genuine fullback option in the next year or 2 our centres could very well be Xerri and Chrichton

Our backline could look something like this

Papalii
Kiraz
Chrichton
Xerri
Fox
I'd put my house on Ala is a lock for a spot.

Papali'i is also a good 2-3 years off.

Xerri will take a year to get back to NRL level if he does at all, 2 year contract, same time as JAC's contract renewal where he will be 29.

By then you'll also see our Jersey boys like Clarke and our SG boys who are playing Jersey coming through like Michael Gabriel and Jordie Mazzone.

Our backline is ever evolving... JA will be lucky to get a modest 2-3 year deal in my opinion and reckon they let him walk if he wants more.

Last edited:

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Let’s see how Averillo goes against the elite teams....his problem is his lack of strength...he gets dominated by strongly built centres
Those strongly built centres are usually a lot slower and he burns all of them everyday

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'd put my house on Ala is a lock for a spot.

Papali'i is also a good 2-3 years off.

Xerri will take a year to get back to NRL level if he does at all, 2 year contract, same time as JAC's contract renewal where he will be 29.

By then you'll also see our SG boys who are playing Jersey coming through like Michael Gabriel and Jordie Mazzone.

Our backline is ever evolving... JA will be lucky to get a modest 2-3 year deal in my opinion and reckon they let him walk if he wants more.
Yeah, there are plenty of options and I guess that's my point, what we think we will look like in a years time might be totally different

By Gus recruiting the younger talent like Gabriel and Semrani as well as recruiting higher end players like Crichton and Xerri we will have plenty of options in the years to come and the cream always rises to the top

I'm really hoping Xerri gets back in the swing pretty quick cause if he does he will be an absolute gun strike weapon out wide

KLil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah, there are plenty of options and I guess that's my point, what we think we will look like in a years time might be totally different

By Gus recruiting the younger talent like Gabriel and Semrani as well as recruiting higher end players like Crichton and Xerri we will have plenty of options in the years to come and the cream always rises to the top

I'm really hoping Xerri gets back in the swing pretty quick cause if he does he will be an absolute gun strike weapon out wide
I think Semrani will end up in backrow.. Big boy.

All in know is in we are in good hands atm considering our jersey boys are killing it, our SG boys are that good they are playing jersey and HM just won the comp.

We are in a position to keep who we want for however much we want and for how long.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
OK, so we're currently 13th with the worst for & against in the competition.
These two guys certainly aren't the best defenders.
Averillo had a good game against the Dragons.
But if another club comes knocking I'm not worried about it.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Let’s see how Averillo goes against the elite teams....his problem is his lack of strength...he gets dominated by strongly built centres
He did score a 80m try b Souffs and scored against the Storm

Kid can find his way to the try line and has speed for days

Worth keeping

Alamoti I’m not fussed …came into FG hyped up and apart from maybe 2 games where he was solid he’s not lived up yet

Look at Whare at Dolphins ….what a debut

KLil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He did score a 80m try b Souffs and scored against the Storm

Kid can find his way to the try line and has speed for days

Worth keeping

Alamoti I’m not fussed …came into FG hyped up and apart from maybe 2 games where he was solid he’s not lived up yet

Look at Whare at Dolphins ….what a debut
Ala hasnt had his growth spurt yet, 19, Avo and Whare are 22.. Can you imagine Ala at 22?

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ala hasnt had his growth spurt yet, 19, Avo and Whare are 22.. Can you imagine Ala at 22?
Maybe Ciro needs to put him on the other edge where he was so dominating in attack with that right hand carry/flick pass

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Averillo has a couple of back to back good games now he’s suddenly a world class centre and a priority to re-sign lol
I'd be more concerned with how we navigate while he is on SOO duties.

Same with Preston.

KLil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Maybe Ciro needs to put him on the other edge where he was so dominating in attack with that right hand carry/flick pass
I said it from day dot that our centers will be our biggest liability this year when i saw CC was going with Avo and Ala and was tempted to question him personally but my brass balls weren't with me that day at Belmore LOL.

BUT bro if there anything I learnt this year its trust in CC.. The bloke ain't an idiot. There is a plan.. Injuries across the park killed those plans but were still pushing through.

Obviously throwing these kids into the deep end and fast tracking growth is paying off.. Avo is starting to get some confidence in his game and Ala hit the ground running whilst is still punching out good numbers regardless of circumstances.

Since JAC got injured Ala has had to defend against some of the best centres in the game, it was unlucky but a massive learning curve. Will be much better for it..

All in All, i get where your coming from, but i'd suggest letting CC do his thing.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’ve not read the last few pages on this thread, but all I’ve got to say is:
1.Xerri has a sh!t ton of work to do before even being considered for first grade.
2. Despite playing in a similar position, Alamoti and Averillo should not be compared, two different body types… one has power/size, the other speed. It just depends what you’re looking for (e.g. Alamoti is a better matchup against someone like Talakai, Suli etc. Averillo might be a better match up on quicker centres). It also depends whose inside/outside them.
3. Both Averillo and Alamoti’s defence is still developing, its got a few flaws at the moment.
4. I would be playing Crichton at centre in 24, defensively good, great hands, good speed, draws in defenders, he’s a perfect centre. Go find a quality fullback or give Avo another crack.
5. Centre is nowhere near our biggest issue, our middles are getting dominated, the opposition does not fear us one bit, at times, they’re even laughing at us trying to take them down. FB and halfback are other areas of need - Karl is showing us signs he is ready, at least defensively, and I believe he’s our future once he gets more confidence to attack - Fullback is a major issue in many ways (albeit Hayze has done a decent job), it’s one of the most important roles and the reason the top teams are doing well (Broncos -Walsh, south’s - Latrell, Penrith - Edawrds) on the flip side, the bottom few teams have no marquee fullbacks.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Oh my daysssssss.

Averillo now leads us for tries (6), line breaks (7) and line break assists (5). Second for try assists (4) and third for tackle breaks (25).

If he was playing for like South Sydney, Sharks, etc he's probably the best centre in the game no cap.

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need to piss this slow Samoan snail kfc and secure Averillo because other teams are going to come for him very soon…

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get rid of Alamoti.
He is such a joke.
Secure Averillo and do it asap before he priced out and look at Skelton/Burns/Perham/Xerri as his partner.

underdogsontop2246

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get rid of Alamoti.
He is such a joke.
Secure Averillo and do it asap before he priced out and look at Skelton/Burns/Perham/Xerri as his partner.
Shutup you flog. He’s 19 years old only and he has a better future than you. Just jealous that he’s a built centre and he’s missing Kikau and fox next to him.

Remember how shit averillo was at his age?