Resolving our Halfback situation. An analysis.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your comment is shallow and lacks insight, Fam. Nothing personal, baby!
Thanks for the double or nothing typical politician reply .. I’m up to $40 bring me in again spinner

Foxalldayeveryday

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wondered that when Nasheed came back a couple of weeks ago and the 'Gun went AWOL about the same time. I gave it some thought and reviewed some of their posts, and decided - NOT A CHANCE!

Their writing styles and personalities are different.​
The 'Gun stirs people, whereas Nasheed gives his opinions and asks for ours.​
The 'Gun is extremely smart - not just because he says so - and sometimes very witty. Nasheed is intelligent but immature.​
Nasheed claims to be 32 and I believe that. The 'Gun is quite a bit older. He has knowledge (e.g. historic WWF/WWE stuff that a 32 year old would not know.​
Nasheed can get upset when the Kennel bags him, and will often withdraw from a confrontational one-on-one. The 'Gun enjoys the confrontation and always has to have the last word.​
Nasheed mis-spells a fair bit. The 'gun has a few words (like "hatters") that he mis-spells deliberately, and he sticks with them. Otherwise his spelling is perfect.​
There is plenty more but this post is quite long enough. One final thing, though - I have wondered if @Flanagun is the alter ego of one of the mods, and is wheeled out to liven up the Kennel when it starts to sag. This would explain why he is quiet at the moment - Nasheed is providing all of the livening up needed.

I want the extend version. This is gold because I know them personally and you are right on the money.

If you don't mind me asking a personal question. What do you do for work ?

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lewis wasnt quite as bad as peps made out.

Im still burning we didnt offer Foran something, we had him cheap by all accounts, he just wanted a 2nd year. Manly offered him an option (not even a real 2 year deal yo) 4 years later he's going strong.

The kennel was glad to se him go, ill never understand it. We could have had flanno and Foran
Foran was our best player when he was with us WHEN he was on the field. Everytime we had a set on the opposition tryline he would throw good balls and put them under real pressure and often come up with try assists. He made good use of CHN. We should have thrown him an offer for this year. He wouldn't be on much at the Titans plus probably would have come to us a bit cheaper rather than moving to another state

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I want the extend version. This is gold because I know them personally and you are right on the money.

If you don't mind me asking a personal question. What do you do for work ?
Ary what?
I’m the Lebanese Forrest Gump?
Check yourself.
Acting like a half eaten muesli bar

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
BTW won’t name names to protect anonymity but I ran into a TK member last year at the parramatta Diwali festival and he recognised me and we got a photo together and he bought me a gin. Thanks again!EA72CED1-4E0E-4DFA-80ED-B6525249046F.jpeg

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nasheed here,

I have been processing some information and statistics on our players tonight, and like many of you (as in, no surprise) I have concluded our issues are very centralised on having a halfback deficiency issue.
I have gone back over our games tonight and recorded the below season statistics on Kyle Flanagan, the incumbent:

Games4
Tries0
Try Assists0
Linebreak Assists1
Offloads3
Average Run Metres35m
Average Kick Metres76m
Forced Dropouts1
Average Tackles24

What can be seen here, both statistically and anecdotally, is that Kyle poses little threat with the ball in hand.
Once again, many observers and analysts, such as myself, Fox NRL team, and commentators,, and this forum have mentioned this on occassions many times.

Defenders of Kyle cite our mounting casualty ward and the perceived lack of forwards is to largely blame for the sluggishness of our attack, and not Kyle. But, this is largely mythological and not real.
Firstly, whilst not a forward, Jacob Kiraz, or 'The Kebab' as he is affectionately known here, is the NRL leading run maker as of time of writing. Jacob, like many lebs, full clicks it and goes psycho when he runs, full of aggression and energy, and is averaging 216 metres a game, with 865 total runs.
To show how impressive that stat is, John Hopoate, once made backpage in news after cracking 300 runs a game. A record of the time. For Kebab to AVERAGE just 75 m short of that mark is flo-nominal.
So basically, we get the strongest start from tackle one in the entire NRL. 20% of our 5 tackle set. We win.
Now the forwards:
We are right in the middle of the road for runs gained during play. We only average 60 cm less than the 5th pack (Storms) whereby we have made 6600 metres and they are 6900. Many teams are similar between 5-13 here.

So we have a decent output from the forwards but have only produced 12 tries, less than the Knights. When you deduct the fact that many of these tries have been against the run of play, or from some dummy half shebang, and that we were legit gifted a win from Melbourne, you can see we have a serious halves problem as almost no tries have been created from the half position.

My stats above shows that NO TRY CAME THROUGH KYLE.

We are 20% through our season and our halfback has not been the creator of one of our tries. This is a position solely responsible for laying the groundwork to try scoring.

So whats his issue?
As Tupac once said, 'even tha genius asks questions'.
So I'll ask questions.
Defence? Nope. He is perhaps the strongest defending 7 in the game weirdly. His stats support that. He crunches bones. Hokko was the same. But I would argue that the ability to defend is neither here or there for a halfback. James Maloney and Darren Lockyer, legendary halves of the last ten years, could not tackle at all. Lockyer even got Tonie Carroll to make his tackles for him.
Attack?
When he gets the ball, he runs sideways, he does not take the line on, his creativity is a inside pass to a flat footed forward. Defences slide with him like a snake prepping for prey. They know he wont run, the best will be a slick pass. And to be honest, even if he does try and run, physically I dont think he poses a threat. He is small, but not quick unlike Wakeham, Nasheed, Sullivan etc and has no step or physical strength. Let him try and run and someone with a career in the NRL will make the tackle on him (unless Maloney makes a return of course LOL LOL LOL).

Oh yeah, he also doesnt kick far or short, no repeat sets at all this year, bar once.

With no physical prowess, or ability to set a defence in two minds, or to speed up the play, this condemns the attack to redundancy near the line, of which we have proven we can easily do even with our missing forwards.

So, I have proven numerically and anecdotally, Kyle and the halfback is the greatest issue we face. So who can replace him to spark us?

As Tupac also told us “Do everything you can to make it around the system, over the system, or out the system.”

So who can we flip d system with?

Kyle Oloapu:
Many believe he is anointed the replacement. He came to us, in our squad on the back of a transfer fee that is reported as 500k, but is more likely less than half that,
but it still something.
Kyle is the national under 19s captain. He runs strong, he passes, he gots footwork and he is built like black oak.
However, I have my doubts. And I'm not just talking about the potential he fall into a bad crowd, postcode wars or 21 Distrikt like some have been worried about.
Purely on field traits.
He runs hard, yes, but I feel this a trait more in line with a running 5/8. A wighton type, A doueihi, even a Burton or even a young Josh Reynolds. When I compare him to the great half backs of the past, I dont see it yet. Langer, Stuart, Townsend, Cleary, DCE, Johns. These guys were perfectionists, organisers and creators.
At best we might get him to be a big version of a Jarule Hughes or Moses. A runner first, but I think this will take time and he should develop in NSW cup first for a while. He may never gets there as he gains physical strength. Have we ever seen a string, hard running Tongan be a top notch creative 7? Either way, we will see. But it wont be next year.

Luke Keary:
Has the basic traits of an organisational half, seems an odd man out in an elite system at the Roosters, and could be bought for a short term stint to assist Karl. Only issue is he is skitzy from head knocks some think, but I do think this is myth and not reality. By this I mean, On TK, people said stuff like this:

Feb 15, 2023
Keary concussed again at training . . . He'd get concussion putting a hat on that bloke

@D0GMATIC

Buts,
On critical analysis, the reality was:
'Sydney Roosters captain James Tedesco insists Luke Keary is in no doubt to start the NRL season, with his latest jaw injury not arousing any fresh concussion concerns.'

There are few instances of this.
A 2 year deal at 800k a pop and even if he gives us half of that, we are good.

Jack Welsby:
A superstar in the making, 8 NRL clubs want him. Kind of like a Hughes type, can play anywhere in the spine. However, he is signed long term to St Helens, is young and untested, so not a super option in my book.

George Williams:
Could do worse, he is a crafty halfback in the Allan Langer mould. Haters say 'He will just get homesick for England again' but critical analysis does not bear the same concern.
The poor **** had a baby being born during Covid, the woman he is tapping had to be by her family, it is completely reasonable in this situation, where family cannot visit, to make this move.
After the baby was popped, he wanted back to the NRL. Homesickness isnt the concern, what IS the concern is a very poor 2022 campaign. But I wouldnt be against this, he will also cost around 800k at least and the Warrington owner is rich and doesnt want him to leave.

Jonny Lomax:
Best half in England. Might be good to have a crack in the twilight of his career to say he did it. Will be 33 but if this is a short gig, why not?

Lewis Dodd:
Another halfback prodigy in England, on the up, very young and untested, but has signaled his intention of bein in the NRL. Would probably cost a bit less than Willo and Lomax, so not the worst punt? However, it is a punt, which is what we need to avoid.

Aiden Sezer:
2 years ago I rubbished this. He isnt that good, he still isnt. He did jack all in 2019 whilst Wighton carried the attack (mirrors our situation in a way) BUT he is a dogg junior, wont cost alot, and if you just want a guy to do the ABCs right and organise short term, he is two steos above Flanno and could hold fort, but we aint winning the premiership. So depends on uor desperation.

Josh Reynold:
He is already here, but is injury prone and more a Tyson Gamble energy spark than thinking organiser. Hasn't strung a season together since he was with us last time. Might just be a PR stunt. Dont think we can take him.

Adam Douehi:
Lebanese, so a cultural fit, desperate to play for us by all accounts and got mad skills. However, he will cost too much. He wants 700k. We cant pay that on the way he plays.

Albert Kelly:
A very cheap, available, band aid option. Similar to Sezer but more of a runner. Maybe not a 2024 option, but a '23 option? Just maybe, if a spot becomes available.

Khaleb Rajab:

He is in our system and on the up. A great world cup for Lebanon. But is he ready to be thrown in? The most likely short term promotion if Kyle doesnt turn it around and we dont ship in a replacement by origin.

Luke Brooks:
A full sick unit when he is on, just world class, but he isn't always on, would cost a reasonable amount of Euro (although may not break the bank) but can go missing at times. Probably the ultimate high risk high reward bet. But he hasn't got winning instilled in him and his heart is with the pies so I would advise against.
Have I missed anyone?

Lets sit around and discuss. Nasheed.
One of your best Nash

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
But who’s going to be the ball playing lock?

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
But who’s going to be the ball playing lock?
Soem locks is ball players. Like Murray or the yayo.
Some locks is bash props like JT.
Some locks iso owl 2nd rows only.

Dogiezz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
@Nasheed we should meet up bro? I'd love a chat face to face? You keen? Next game is perfect my bro? Let's get it done.

Dogiezz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Actually, we should make it a Kennel meet. Who's keen to meet up next week against souths?

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Actually, we should make it a Kennel meet. Who's keen to meet up next week against souths?
Yeah G we need a kennel meet.
Only one guy has ever come up and noticed me on the street

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say slot in Averillo but his been tossed about from the second he hit first grade fullback, to halfback under clueless Barret to centre. Probably why he hasn’t developed that well and even if we did slot him at halfback defensively with skelton if he came in and Averillo in the halves would be an issue. Looks like we got to carry the passenger who does nothing until KO gets his shot, Ciraldo knows Flanagan is ass, Ciraldo I’m sure also knows Reynolds has limited minutes on him but there’s no other way to go about it. In other words Flanagan somehow some way is still the misery of this team and only option currently for the team.

Edit: whenever Rajab is available he walks in or if we want to have a shot at the 8 see if there’s a make shift option on the market for the rest of the season.
My point is that Averillo although not we need at HB is better is than the Gun, who is not only useless but you can see that most of the other players just dont want to play with him. and according to many Rajab or KO are not ready, add the fact that Reynolds can at best only play limited minutes and is likely to break down any tick of the clock.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The real halfback problem is that we've invested millions into a so called 5/8 that's struggling to do the basics so we're now relying on an 18 year old 5/8 to play halfback to "take pressure off him".
Man you have a bee in your Bonnet never happy unless your talking about your mums high heels.

Do you think Flanno takes Pressure of anyone?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Man you have a bee in your Bonnet never happy unless your talking about your mums high heels.

Do you think Flanno takes Pressure of anyone?
Not really, but Burton isn't doing any better. Burton is meant it be "that guy" not Flanagan.

Isaac

Kennel Established
Reaction score
To be honest I met Aiden Sezer and he is a bulldog junior he loves the bulldogs. I just don’t understand why the bulldogs didn’t go after him when he was available. He was 29 years old when he left Canberra. He got them to the grand final. I’ll be seriously looking at him for 2024 and 2025 until KO is ready.