Official Bulldogs vs Sharks Pre-season Challenge - Team List and Game Discussion Thread.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Actually disgusting Preston not on the bench over Waddell, even Davey. We're light 1 middle on the bench imo too - Waddell can't play prop only lock - and not well. Only picked due to his salary.
You contradict yourself mate.
Lock is a middle forward.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
FIRST 13
No surprises, the only question was which 2 middles would start out of TPJ, Sutton & Thompson.
Alamoti for mine still has the biggest question mark in regards to being ready for a full season of 1st grade. I hope he is.

I assume our bench will always consist of the following

1 x Utility
2 x Middle Forwards
1 x Edge Forward

BENCH
2 x Middles

I believe Waddell's days as an edge forward are numbered & he will exclusively play as a middle. He has the size to do that, he just needs to get rid of the shit from his game. I think he edges out Pele only based on fitness at this stage. Apart from Pele, no other Big Bopper stood out as a middle threat on Sunday. Depth in our Middle is our 2nd biggest issue behind Half Back IMO. The only other option with some merit is start Preston Or Davey & Push RFM to the Middle.

The other middle bench spot was always going to be one of either Sutton, TPJ or Thompson depending on which 2 started & King has definitely earnt his starting spot.

1 x Edge Forward

The edge forward bench spot seems to be a race in 2 with Davey & Preston. Perhaps CC & Gus are just putting a bit of a lid on the hype around Preston after his outstanding club debut, just to keep him in check. I have no doubt if fit he will eventually be one player who will always be picked in the top 17. Topine might be the third edge to challenge these 2 for this one spot but seems a peg below.

1 x Utility

I think for now the 14 Utility spot & the 18th man spot will be rotated between Grub & Nu. They can cover the halves, hooker & lock. My only concern is who would cover center if required & if one of these 2 could show that they are capable of doing that then they would get the nod over the other if of course none of our edge forwards could cover center.

18TH MAN

What will be interesting come round one is who will CC pick as 18th man because the the new HIA 2 Concussion replacement rule IMO will mean that it is essentially going to be a 5 man bench, as every coach will manipulate the rules to get an extra fresh man into the game when required.

I don't think that a clubs own HIA assessment team can be overruled by the independent doctor if they have ruled (wink wink, nudge nudge) a player out of the game with a HIA and I believe that this will intern result in every team rorting the system. This will become a big blow up at some time through the season.

This position is the big unknown -
Do we go for another utility here???
Do we go for another Big Middle like Pele & pre plan to use him for a 10 to 15 min burst???
Do we go for another big body who could can cover center & edge forward like Skelton or perhaps Preston can fill this role???

So far, I like what I see.

Bring on round 1.

Go The Dogs!!!

Last edited:

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
We're light at prop. Waddell can't play prop or at least isn't suited to it at all.
Prop and lock are both middle forwards.
You say that Waddell can't play prop, only lock, it's pretty much the same position.
We don't have a ball playing lock like Yeo or Murray so they're all just middle forwards.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Don’t care if it’s a trial let’s beat these kants , still remember they pumped us 30 odd last trial to 6

Baz ball at its finest

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope Waddell on the bench isn't a sign of things to come. I just don't get what coaches see in him that we don't. Don't they see his errors and lack of impact. He's f..king average at best. Gonna be spewing if we re-sign him too.

No impact at all off our bench by forwards for this weekend. Surely Pele offers heaps more. I really hope Pele makes the 17 for round 1. Love watching players like him bend and break the line

spscand

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah that lineup looks like its round 1 lineup. Not much can be changed. If brown is injured Reynolds gets bench i guess. His energy and attitude alone might be worth it in the end but im still not sold

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I still reckon Preston plays ahead of Waddell or at least ahead of Davey in the Round 1 lineup. It's literally a 13 man bench, so I won't read too much into the listed order. Especially when Preston started ahead of Waddell and Davey last week and massively outperformed them.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don’t care if it’s a trial let’s beat these kants , still remember they pumped us 30 odd last trial to 6

Baz ball at its finest
Its going to hafta be all heart, thats a stout looking Sharks side.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Playing a full strength Cronulla in a trial at our full strength is a great indicator for CC as to what he needs to tweak going into the season. Last year in the same trial the Sharks whipped us 36-6 or something. Hynes was brilliant and TPJ was an undisciplined disaster. Our season under Barrett then never got out of 1st gear.
Cronulla finished last season running 2nd. They again, have an unbelievably good draw and with a strong roster should again finish top 4 if not MP.
So this is a great test for us, but irrespective of how the game is going it's still only a trial so I'm sure CC will pull the majority of the top 13 after only 40 mins gametime.
In his preseason podcast with Jammer, CC indicated he and Fitzgibbon are close, so this will be very willing, especially as CC will be looking for a massive effort in executing our new D systems, to prove to ourselves what is required to stay with the best teams.
Last week the reserves also defended stoutly, albeit against not much 2nd string Raiders attack, so it's clear CC will be implementing the famous Panthers D culture of next man up being familiar with the defensive systems.
Looking forward to Perhams talk at the back in organising D.
Should be a ripper of a game.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I doubt the edge forward pecking order is sorted yet. Kikau obviously No.1, RFM looks like 2, but after that it's open. Even if Waddell is on the bench in Rd 1, I can't see him being the preferred back-up option for long.