Club captains formally announced

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
They may be announced as co-captains but I assume Mahoney will be the captain with Burton as vice captain. Ciraldo would tell them who has what responsibilities. It's not like both players are going to go running up to the ref each time and then argue between each other about who is in charge..

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Tbf Ciraldo has only come into this pre season with the group so maybe he needs more time to decide on a captain throughout the year.
IMO, RFM is the clear leader but he wants Reed and Burto to lead. Reed has been there a few weeks, no way he has earns the right to lead the boys IMO. Burton, is in his second proper full year of first grade and needs to concentrate as being a half IMO.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
IMO, RFM is the clear leader but he wants Reed and Burto to lead. Reed has been there a few weeks, no way he has earns the right to lead the boys IMO. Burton, is in his second proper full year of first grade and needs to concentrate as being a half IMO.
I suppose Ciro sees more than us fans.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think they're looking for long term choices by choosing those two. Mahoney may only be in his first year with us but he reminds me a lot of Ennis in terms of leadership and how vocal he is, so I have no issue with him being captain right away when he's had plenty of FG experience and played a lot of finals footy.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Leadership groups are fine but there needs to be one player who is the captain. If RFM is off field captain and talking to media but Reed and Burton are on field it is confusing for no reason. How can Reed or Burton pull RFM into line on the field if shit goes astray. How can RFM speak to captain decisions he didn’t make on the field. I fkn hate this multiple captain new age bullshit.
Club captain is more cultural and leading the example of the field to make sure the standards are met.
We have 2 on field captains which is fairly standard.
Burton looks after the backs and reesd the forwards.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
There has been some teams in the past who have had players come in and captain straight away and were successful.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Does everyone actually give that much of a shit about captains? They really ain’t that important lol

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Our captains are Burton and Mahoney. Yes we have a leadership group but Mahoney and Burton are game day captains. Tigers didn’t have co captains. They rotated captains each week. That’s why they were a joke and everyone laughed at them.
TBF, other clubs will all laugh at us too. Fck them but I don’t get the RFM role. Is it more or less important than Reed and Burton? As long as the boys respond to who ever is the leader, I just don’t like this shared, everyone gets a trophy leadership. IMO, teams follow the alpha, you want a leader that players will run through walls for. Maybe I’m just getting old

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There has been some teams in the past who have had players come in and captain straight away and were successful.
Which one has never been a leader prior though. Very rare bro

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Club captain is more cultural and leading the example of the field to make sure the standards are met.
We have 2 on field captains which is fairly standard.
Burton looks after the backs and reesd the forwards.
I get it bro. I just don’t like it

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It can't all be on one guy, we saw what happened with Jackson.

When there is a lack of leaders the whole thing can unravel. Jackson & Graham had Pritchard, Eastwood, Ennis, Hodkinson, Reynolds, Perrett, Bmoz, Jmoz.

Ciraldo will trust this core group of players to set the standards.

Reactions: J_B

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
TBF, other clubs will all laugh at us too. Fck them but I don’t get the RFM role. Is it more or less important than Reed and Burton? As long as the boys respond to who ever is the leader, I just don’t like this shared, everyone gets a trophy leadership. IMO, teams follow the alpha, you want a leader that players will run through walls for. Maybe I’m just getting old
Yeah I agree. I’m on board with Burton and Mahoney as co-captains. Every team has a leadership group. Unsure why they felt the need to announce who it is in ours. Surely they could have just announced Burton and Mahoney as co-captains and that’s it.

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This is way too complicated. Just pick a captain and vice captain. JAC should be captain with someone else in the middle serving as vice captain.
Or vice versa.
Playmakers, hooker, fullback, etc should already have a voice. It's why a general, captain makes sense for all the other things, lift the team, pull em together

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
also can't dispute having 2 captains ( 1 back 1 forward ) when the top team for the past 2 years has had exactly that. perhaps they awarded it to both of them to take the pressure off of one having all the responsibility and later on down the track a sole captain will be named. I like that two younger players have been given the role, they can lead this team for a decade plus and really build something special

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah I agree. I’m on board with Burton and Mahoney as co-captains. Every team has a leadership group. Unsure why they felt the need to announce who it is in ours.
Connection with the fans, I like it. It shows us what sort of direction we are going in. If they announced washed up duds like Tamou (at Tigers) I'd be saying hang on a second.