News Phil Gould blasts Peter V’landys and Andrew Abdo at Gold Coast conference

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
If all the clubs agreed to their own figure and worked towards it, what is the NRL going to do - remove them all from the competition? These Clubs needs to realise they have the power if they can come together and agree that the majority vote, they will all sign to follow. This NRL is like a power tripping dictatorship - its pathetic this day in age.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Football is a billion dollar professional industry that deserves to be treated this way, some one has to stand up and make people in charge accountable for lack of action !
My concern is by Gus stepping on toes of people in high places could trigger a severe and hidden negative repercussions against our club.

Last edited:

Total Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Football is a billion dollar professional industry that deserves to be treated this way, some one has to stand up and make people in charge accountable for lack of action !
My concern is by Gus stepping on too many toes of people in high places could trigger a severe and hidden negative repercussions against our club.
Who cares bro…. And since when have we had anything positive come from these corrupt c{}nts at NRL HQ

We finished stoned motherless last in 2021 and the f{}ckers gave us the draw from hell!

I hope Gus tells the to all f{}ck off

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I thought I heard on the radio this morning the cap will go up to 12.5 mil for 23
TT did say it would be about that much a couple of weeks ago. Are all current contracts going to rise now or are not all contracts ratcheted ? Do we have more money to spend ?

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Who cares bro…. And since when have we had anything positive come from these corrupt c{}nts at NRL HQ

We finished stoned motherless last in 2021 and the f{}ckers gave us the draw from hell!

I hope Gus tells the to all f{}ck off
We should out smart them not clash with them, it isn't ideal !
I don't trust them to be fair but you can bet they would make it harder for us :rage:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I thought I heard on the radio this morning the cap will go up to 12.5 mil for 23
That is what the rumour is and that has been proposed by the NRL but apparently the RLPA with the CBA aren't happy. Don't know if they want it to go up more or whether specific clauses or conditions are the problem
TT did say it would be about that much a couple of weeks ago. Are all current contracts going to rise now or are not all contracts ratcheted ? Do we have more money to spend ?
What I originally posted back in August;
It's complicated, things to keep in mind;
  • This (2022) years Cap is $9.2m due to the 6% Covid reduction.
  • Without that it should be $9.7m.
  • But there was no increase from 2020 or 2021 due again to Covid, so 2022 should have been ~$10.4m.
  • The NRL club grants have stayed at $13m since 2018.
  • The broadcast revenue increase is ~15% for each club plus an extra club added (Dolphins) from next season onwards.
  • It also increases if/when an 18th club is added, so the existing 17 club grants do not decrease.
  • As a result the NRL club grants should go up to ~$16m.
  • Commonly the NRL allocates around 75% of the grant to the Salary Cap, so 16 x 75% = $11.94m.
  • The media round that up, which is where the $12m comes from.
  • Not all NRL players are on ratchet contracts, most likely a minority as it makes managing the salary very difficult for the clubs.
  • The minimum value contracts will of course increase in line with the Cap, that's in the EBA.
It sounds like a huge step going from $9.2m this year to $12m next year but it's not that simple.
What has happened since then, as I posted in October;
Confirmed minimum contract $150k (up from $125k) and the Veteran and Developed Player $500k (up from $200k) both of these are included in the base Cap. The RLPA have also demanded an additional 10 players with an extra $650k above the base Cap (whatever it is) to fit them in, making 40 x NRL Contracted players.

If my original maths of $11.94m for the base Cap is correct then add $650k = $12.59m for the 40 x players on NRL Contracts.

Always a Bulldog

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What I originally posted back in August;

What has happened since then, as I posted in October;
Confirmed minimum contract $150k (up from $125k) and the Veteran and Developed Player $500k (up from $200k) both of these are included in the base Cap. The RLPA have also demanded an additional 10 players with an extra $650k above the base Cap (whatever it is) to fit them in, making 40 x NRL Contracted players.

If my original maths of $11.94m for the base Cap is correct then add $650k = $12.59m for the 40 x players on NRL Contracts.

Always a Bulldog
So we should have a bit to play with then ?

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
NSWRL was in Phillip St. NRL offices are at Moore Park.
Didn't know that. So NSW NRL is a much bigger organisation, but NRL wields ultimate power out of Moore Park/Racing NSW offices?
Actually, correction, the online gambling industry wields ultimate power.
Nothing to see here I'm sure.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Didn't know that. So NSW NRL is a much bigger organisation, but NRL wields ultimate power out of Moore Park/Racing NSW offices?
Actually, correction, the online gambling industry wields ultimate power.
Nothing to see here I'm sure.
I think the new NSWRL offices are at Homebush.

I hate that V'landys is involved with the NRL at all and it's bizarre and not ideal that he's still working with Racing NSW. Even stranger that he'd have meetings as the head of the NRL at Racing NSW offices.

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So good having someone with a spine back at the dogs. How many years did we have these weak plods in control that used lie down while the NRL used to insert numerous pineapples into our you know where...

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So good having someone with a spine back at the dogs. How many years did we have these weak plods in control that used lie down while the NRL used to insert numerous pineapples into our you know where...

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only some contracts have the ratchet clause. I couldn’t see any of our guys having that kind of clause. Only one could be Burton with his new deal. We hopefully should have money to spend. But according to Buzz we’ll still have to shed players because we’ll be paying Burton 3 mil a year.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Only some contracts have the ratchet clause. I couldn’t see any of our guys having that kind of clause. Only one could be Burton with his new deal. We hopefully should have money to spend. But according to Buzz we’ll still have to shed players because we’ll be paying Burton 3 mil a year.
We could ring some bloke in a cave in Afghanistan that would better idea of our salary cap position than that silly **** Booze Rumfilled

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score

I hate that V'landys is involved with the NRL at all and it's bizarre and not ideal that he's still working with Racing NSW. Even stranger that he'd have meetings as the head of the NRL at Racing NSW offices.
I'm sure it's OK.
If you can't trust the NRL Chair/Racing NSW CEO to manage potential conflicts of interest, who can you trust?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
The CoE is at Homebush but at least some NSWRL staff are based at Moore Park.
ARLC Directors all have other jobs / sit on other boards etc - ARLC isn’t a full time gig. PVL meeting at RNSW offices would be purely logistics given the RNSW Spring Carnival is still on and also many NRL staff are on leave being off-season and before the 2023 campaign gets into full swing, there’s probably not a lot happening in Moore Park.

Really don’t think there’s much to see here…