News Bulldogs 3 million dollar offer to matt burton

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Very good money for a bloke that doesn't know how to play 5/8
His ballplaying is literally non existent at this stage and his kicking game other than some nice short kicks for JAC is just kicking the ball really hard...he's miles off the top 5/8's in the game yet we're making him the 4th highest 5/8 in the game, massive gamble.
Yes so let's pay premium coin for a bloke that can't play into the line to save his life :tearsofjoy:
It's absolutely overpaying
He didn't kill it and he played centre
Mutt, are you sure you are not related to @Flanagun..? The level of your negativity towards Burton is on par with his positivity towards Flange/Smelliott and co.

How can you possibly stay upbeat and defend Jake with the ferocity you do and yet take every opportunity to slag off on Burton?

You have a pretty sharp footy brain so I don’t understand, is it a tick or something?

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They signed Hynes @ 600k per season who's better.
BURTON.

But what would I know, I'm a one eyed Blue & White to the bone old Barstard that's watched a bit of footy in my time.

I'm Biased.

Burton @ 22yrs old is Better than Nico Hynes @ 22 yrs old.

Cant wait to watch how he goes in a better team like Nico has had all his career.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
To be fair, he played Origin in the centres. Yes, he killed it, but he is a centre, and he had the best talent around him. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy we have him, but he isn't a 6 yet.
He plays well in the centres but he's not a centre, he's a half. I don't know of any centres that can get 14 try assists on a shit team and can put in the kicks he can for Addo-Carr aside from maybe Jamie Lyon in his prime.

Obviously he has areas to improve on, but he's 22 years old and played his first full season in the halves with no help from the rest of the spine. I don't know how people expect him to be the finished article on a struggling team.

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mutt, are you sure you are not related to @Flanagun..? The level of your negativity towards Burton is on par with his positivity towards Flange/Smelliott and co.

How can you possibly stay upbeat and defend Jake with the ferocity you do and yet take every opportunity to slag off on Burton?

You have a pretty sharp footy brain so I don’t understand, is it a tick or something?
Mutt usually just has issues with who ever is in the 6 first it was Reynolds now it’s Burton lol

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
750K a season is still above what he's shown so far so if we're offering that then a large percentage must be based on potential. If he wants to go to market I'd let him because I seriously doubt anyone else would offer him more. I would hold firm at not a dollar more. We need to save anything we can on Burton to put into his halves partner and a fullback.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not saying they change their defensive structure.. But after wasted crash plays and other dumb shit for two tackles by JMK, then a Tolman-esque run by Flanagan where he runs back into defenders and gets a 12 second play the ball, multiple extra defenders slide over to Burton knowing that they're going there and there's no threat on the right.

That scenario happened every second set all season. It's hard for any half to just come up with some magic after 3-4 wasted plays before that where the defense hasn't been tested or stretched and they're up in your face.
[/QUOTE]

"Multiple extra defenders slide over to Burton knowing that they're going there and there's no threat on the right"

That just does not happen .... it would be football suicide. You can't have players sliding to the extent you are suggesting, no one would last 5 mins.

I was as high on Burton as you .... even predicted he would be Aust 5/8 within 18 months.

However as the season progressed he began showing some alarming traits in his game which in my opinion got worse as the season unfolded.

He even became a target in defense as edge backrowers charged straight at him knowing his arm tackles are ineffective .... think Briton Nikora.

He is about to paid like a superstar which quite frankly makes me nervous.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Maybe he can see stuff in footy players that most on here cannot.

Just a thought.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
750K a season is still above what he's shown so far so if we're offering that then a large percentage must be based on potential. If he wants to go to market I'd let him because I seriously doubt anyone else would offer him more. I would hold firm at not a dollar more. We need to save anything we can on Burton to put into his halves partner and a fullback.
And then we'd need to buy another 6.
If he went to market no doubt someone will take him. He undoubtedly has the potential to improve with the right coaching at the Dogs. All that means is 6 is locked in and we can look to replace to strengthen the other positions you mentioned.
Now that our season is over and some time has passed, the thought of persisting with Jake at FB and Flange at 7 next year is amatuer hour.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying they change their defensive structure.. But after wasted crash plays and other dumb shit for two tackles by JMK, then a Tolman-esque run by Flanagan where he runs back into defenders and gets a 12 second play the ball, multiple extra defenders slide over to Burton knowing that they're going there and there's no threat on the right.

That scenario happened every second set all season. It's hard for any half to just come up with some magic after 3-4 wasted plays before that where the defense hasn't been tested or stretched and they're up in your face.
"Multiple extra defenders slide over to Burton knowing that they're going there and there's no threat on the right"

That just does not happen .... it would be football suicide. You can't have players sliding to the extent you are suggesting, no one would last 5 mins.

I was as high on Burton as you .... even predicted he would be Aust 5/8 within 18 months.

However as the season progressed he began showing some alarming traits in his game which in my opinion got worse as the season unfolded.

He even became a target in defense as edge backrowers charged straight at him knowing his arm tackles are ineffective .... think Briton Nikora.

[/QUOTE]
You’re right definitely some flaws in his game but you can see he will be a gun

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

You’re right definitely some flaws in his game but you can see he will be a gun[/QUOTE]Teams did it when we had Foran. And you see it in tgis years games with Burton.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gallen is such a big mouth
Think he's right though, if Burton kicks on next year and moves into elite player status by 2024 (which I expect he will), then I think we're getting a very good deal for the majority of that contract.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Mutt usually just has issues with who ever is in the 6 first it was Reynolds now it’s Burton lol
Omgosh he absolutely tore Josh Reynolds a new one. When I first joined TK the first thing I noticed was this Marley bloke hammering Reynolds day in day out and wouldn’t rest. F… it was annoying!!! It was actually worse than a nagging wife and a mother in law both on their periods at the same time.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They signed Hynes @ 600k per season who's better.
At this moment he is.

Plus let's be honest Hynes has signed for an absolute steal at the Sharks versus what he offers them. Give it another season like this one and sure enough all the noise will be about an upgraded deal for Hynes along with numerous other potential big offers on the horizon for Hynes.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
At this moment he is.

Plus let's be honest Hynes has signed for an absolute steal at the Sharks versus what he offers them. Give it another season like this one and sure enough all the noise will be about an upgraded deal for Hynes along with numerous other potential big offers on the horizon for Hynes.
I’m very confident in saying overall (despite in a far better roster) hynes is the better player.

Though I’m just as confident in saying that when burton who is 4 years younger is at that age will be a far better player than hynes will ever be.