Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I'm supporting the fins next season

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We need to sign a marquee player. Burton is not our marquee. Unless we sign Munster or Mitchell we're only making up the numbers. Hunt would be too old. Number 1 priority has to be a controlling half whose young enough to be good for a few years. Has to be Munster or Mitchell Moses. We need a general on the field to steer us around. At the moment we're like a headless chook. Next a new fullback. Probably can't afford Mitchell if we sign a top half so Jayden Campbell seems okay. Next up prop. I'd go for Spencer Leniu.
Couldnt agree more, must sign a quality team manager to steer the ship. Burto will be so much better for it.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Couldnt agree more, must sign a quality team manager to steer the ship. Burto will be so much better for it.
The issue is that we're going to be paying 800k+ for Burton to BE that player. There's a reason halfbacks and fullbacks are paid more than 5/8's

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Bunch of fucking cry babies ... Lol

What, because we were a successful team in the past it means we're entitled to success now? My arse it does.

I understand the frustration and everyone wants immediate success but we also need to be realistic with things.

For the first time in a long time we seem to be making the right decisions at the top. We're bringing in some incredibly talented players. New coach is the best option out there.

This year was always a write off.
You said expectations.
My realistic expectations is there should have been some improvement in the last 5 years.
My only expectation last 2 years was incremental improvement.
Ciraldo is still a gamble. Ive had enough of sitting here "hoping" every year yet here I am hoping next year for an unproven coach to be the goods.
Again my only expectations is for incremental improvement but fuck me Ive had enough.
Then you call people fucking cry babies for sharing their opinions straight after another loss like you didnt see that coming.

DogDays

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I get it. We've had a rich history of success.

Many of us grew up with the glory years of the Dogs. Even if we weren't #1 we were always fighting and highly competitive.

I get it. We all want success.

But, we've got to be patient with it all as it's not possible to polish shit to make a diamond. It's going to take time.

Let's see how the new coach does on the back of a strong off season with some good additions.

We all seem to get carried away too quickly on here. Many were calling not long ago for Potter to be given the reigns full time ...

Let's just be patient
The poor decisions of those in charge over the past 5-6 years is the reason for our demise.

These 5-6 years were never about rebuilding. They were about poor organisation, vested interests and diabolical decision making. The lack of forward planning we have seen is just abominable.

The decision to re-sign Des, then sack him, was an atrocious decision.

The decision to appoint Pay, a novice without track record to speak of, to replace Des, when there were better coaches on the market, was extremely risky and a likely failure at the time.

The decision to move Pay on after acknowledging for some time that the club was unable to be competitive in the player market was a head scratcher, to say the least. Particularly when they announced Trent Barrett, of all coaches, to succeed him.

The decision to sign Barrett was just a joke. He was never going to be a success. A look at his track record provided all the evidence required - yet they still signed him with this information readily available.

When all of this is considered, one would think we just need to sign a proven practitioner to take the reigns as coach. Someone with a track record of success to command instant respect from the players and begin to get success and a noticeable change in culture at the club.

We have now signed Ciraldo.

Hopefully we begin to see some improvements. We have never been so low, for so long.

Another 5 years of “rebuilding” is just unacceptable. It would be particularly hard to stomach for fans when we didn’t afford the same amount of time to our previous, similarly inexperienced coaches.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Just because we finish this season on a shit note, doesn't mean we can't make the finals next season. Obviously a lot needs to go right and changes will be made but as shit as this season was, there were still a few positives.. There is the potential for a solid squad next season if the right moves are made once players like TPJ are moved on..

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just because we finish this season on a shit note, doesn't mean we can't make the finals next season. Obviously a lot needs to go right and changes will be made but as shit as this season was, there were still a few positives.. There is the potential for a solid squad next season if the right moves are made once players like TPJ are moved on..
We have a massive hole up front. With no spine. The failure to address these issues will see us about the same position next season.

The clubs retention and recruitment over a long period has been terrible to be kind.

Unfortunately the pain will continue for another year. They have money to spend in 2024. I am far from confident the money will be used wisely.[emoji30]

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Many of us grew up with the glory years of the Dogs. Even if we weren't #1 we were always fighting and highly competitive.

But, we've got to be patient with it all as it's not possible to polish shit to make a diamond. It's going to take time.

Let's see how the new coach does on the back of a strong off season with some good additions.

We all seem to get carried away too quickly on here. Many were calling not long ago for Potter to be given the reigns full time ...

Let's just be patient
The club fucked up even more when the Andersons were brought in… this is 100% on them as they set us back years… we are being burned by people who claim they care about the club and Gus is trying to clean it all up
i called it straight away that they were destroying our club the longer they stayed

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The poor decisions of those in charge over the past 5-6 years is the reason for our demise.

These 5-6 years were never about rebuilding. They were about poor organisation, vested interests and diabolical decision making. The lack of forward planning we have seen is just abominable.

The decision to re-sign Des, then sack him, was an atrocious decision.

The decision to appoint Pay, a novice without track record to speak of, to replace Des, when there were better coaches on the market, was extremely risky and a likely failure at the time.

The decision to move Pay on after acknowledging for some time that the club was unable to be competitive in the player market was a head scratcher, to say the least. Particularly when they announced Trent Barrett, of all coaches, to succeed him.

The decision to sign Barrett was just a joke. He was never going to be a success. A look at his track record provided all the evidence required - yet they still signed him with this information readily available.

When all of this is considered, one would think we just need to sign a proven practitioner to take the reigns as coach. Someone with a track record of success to command instant respect from the players and begin to get success and a noticeable change in culture at the club.

We have now signed Ciraldo.

Hopefully we begin to see some improvements. We have never been so low, for so long.

Another 5 years of “rebuilding” is just unacceptable. It would be particularly hard to stomach for fans when we didn’t afford the same amount of time to our previous, similarly inexperienced coaches.
I agree with almost all that except the getting rid of Pay bit. He had to go unfortunately. He was like Barrett & Jackson at the press conferences & didn't know what to do. Yes he was given a poison chalice & he should never have been hired, but he had lost the players & was out of ideas.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The club fucked up even more when the Andersons were brought in… this is 100% on them as they set us back years… we are being burned by people who claim they care about the club and Gus is trying to clean it all up
i called it straight away that they were destroying our club the longer they stayed
No. The Andersons came in off a sh1tful mess. They made some bad / panicked decisions but there wasn't MUCH better they could have done. Whomever had come in then was on a hiding to nothing. This is all on Des / Greenberg & Dib & Castle as well. They messed things up royally. They couldn't have stuffed it up more if they tried (which I think Des did!).

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Let's just be patient
Expectations are low unless we get a 7 and some props.
Potter was never an option. There was a reason he was the mounties coach. Who gets dropped this week on form?

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

What, because we were a successful team in the past it means we're entitled to success now? My arse it does.

I understand the frustration and everyone wants immediate success but we also need to be realistic with things.

For the first time in a long time we seem to be making the right decisions at the top. We're bringing in some incredibly talented players. New coach is the best option out there.

This year was always a write off.
Agree, we seem to have unrealistic expectations in recent times. Our spine being Avo, Burton, Flanno and JMK simply cannot get us into the 8. Mahoney helps but we’re still short a 1 and 7. Would also help if we had a centre who could draw and pass or put a ball out in front of the Fox.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Did you expect a different reaction where everyone was going to agree with you?

This sounds so familiar, same thing were said under Baz, the board and new players at the time.

The only difference this time is that we have Gus who I'm putting a lot of trust in too fix this mess once and for all, one thing is for certain I will not be falling for hype during the off season with them talking themselves up and showing those slow mo training videos like they do.

You want fans to support you, earn their support by winning games!

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
So you’re OK to overlook Uncle Ray’s bungling of Hasler’s contract followed up by his much bigger bungle with a $10m salary cap gamble in signing Woods and Foran on massive money, eh Alzz? He also made the call to hire Pay. Granted, no established coach would’ve come in at the time given the rotten state of the roster and cap. The rot started well before the Andersons were there, take your blinkers off.