Does Baz look at himself and wonder “wow I’m rubbish”

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I have been a personal development coach for 22 years (over 20,000 coaching hours) and I usually can spot what a coach is doing right and wrong very quickly. I am also one of the last to turn on a coach because of my empathy and appreciation of how tough the job is, how invested I am in the process rather than being judged for premature failings.

With Barrett, I was very slow on recognising his failings beyond noticing that the same mistakes were happening every week and there was no discussion about them directly.

The last 3 press conferences and the last game that shocked me how inept they were was when I realised, this poor guy does not have enough ideas and vision to deal with the adversity in front of him. Even moving Averillo to fullback and pissing off Dufty would have made a difference. Naden being moved on should have been obvious too!
Firstly, Coach's post game media conferences are a demand from the NRL to satisfy the media's requirements for content. They are not a forum for airing the dirty laundry, they are simply a cliché filled parody full of platitudes that satisfies the NRL requirements. Unless you're Bennett of course and then you give the farkers nothing. I would never rely on what we see in a post game press conference to draw any conclusions.

What I have trouble understanding is Barrett had almost unlimited resources of very high quality, Gould and Hansen, FMD they don't come any better. A few minutes spent talking to those 2 would yield at least a month's worth of coaching ideas to implement. For example, I would be absolutely stunned if Hansen didn't suggest simplifying the game plan, stripping it back to the basic necessities. Which is after all what Potter has done.

The question for me is did Barrett not ask or did he not take the advice he was given?

Always a Bulldog

Bacon_Muffin

Waterboy
Reaction score
My feeling on Trent haven't changed.
Being a head coach is beyond his ability but he seems to be a great assistant coach.
A head coach can't be one of the boys, Baz seemed more concerned about partying and enjoying a drink with the boys.

He failed at Manly too, Des went back with basically the same team and had them firing again, pretty much what is happening at the Dogs now.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
Firstly, Coach's post game media conferences are a demand from the NRL to satisfy the media's requirements for content. They are not a forum for airing the dirty laundry, they are simply a cliché filled parody full of platitudes that satisfies the NRL requirements. Unless you're Bennett of course and then you give the farkers nothing. I would never rely on what we see in a post game press conference to draw any conclusions.

What I have trouble understanding is Barrett had almost unlimited resources of very high quality, Gould and Hansen, FMD they don't come any better. A few minutes spent talking to those 2 would yield at least a month's worth of coaching ideas to implement. For example, I would be absolutely stunned if Hansen didn't suggest simplifying the game plan, stripping it back to the basic necessities. Which is after all what Potter has done.

The question for me is did Barrett not ask or did he not take the advice he was given?

Always a Bulldog
Was he too proud and to desperate to prove him himself, not realising, that you prove yourself by being humber and resourceful.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Baz just got in a hole and couldn't get out. Doesn't mean he hasn't got a good footy brain or ideas. Looks to me like he just hasn't worked out how to communicate well as a leader, which is why he's better suited as an assistant for now.

I want him to do well and hope he does.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Baz just got in a hole and couldn't get out. Doesn't mean he hasn't got a good footy brain or ideas. Looks to me like he just hasn't worked out how to communicate well as a leader, which is why he's better suited as an assistant for now.

I want him to do well and hope he does.
He was a stubborn mule with too much pride. Thick as 2 short planks. He supposedly had great ideas but was a poor executor. Unfortunately he failed with all the resources at his disposal.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tin foil hat on. What would you say if we appoint Ciraldo, who is best mates with Baz, & he appoints him as as our offence assistant coach. Perhaps Baz is already getting ready to reenter the fray for us. This would then appease our major sponsor, some of our better players & he would be placed in a role where he is far more successful. NRL is full of surprising swings and roundabouts,

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Tin foil hat on. What would you say if we appoint Ciraldo, who is best mates with Baz, & he appoints him as as our offence assistant coach. Perhaps Baz is already getting ready to reenter the fray for us. This would then appease our major sponsor, some of our better players & he would be placed in a role where he is far more successful. NRL is full of surprising swings and roundabouts,
Do you write the scripts for the WWE in your spare time?

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I really wonder what Barrett thinks now, surely he has lost all confidence in his coaching ability. The Dogs are averaging 26.8 points since he’s left. Compared to the single digits they averaged under him.

Does this just prove that barrett really was the main issue ? And that he should just give up on being a coach ever again?
Well done. Put the boot in while he is on the floor. Classic.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The blame sits with those who appointed him. After Pay we needed a different style of coach, Barrett wasn't the answer.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If he had that type of negative attitude he wouldn't be a former Australian and NSW Wales 5/8th.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If he had that type of negative attitude he wouldn't be a former Australian and NSW Wales 5/8th.
He will just be biding his time atm, seeing whether he wants to drop a peg and assist somewhere next year or he could be Fox bound, would be great there and boost the amount of women viewers without doubt.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was a critic of Baz. But at the end of the day I will respect him for the way he spoke of the club. Bringing some old boys into the mix. But most importantly he signed some quality players to us. JAC, Burton, Kikau and Mahoney. Thanks.