News Potter issues challenge to Dogs

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bit hard to stay disciplined when we get fucked over by the refs for so much as breathing on field.

Can't help but think us getting sponsorship for anti betting is fueling that backlash.
Couldn't agree more.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Agree with all the stuff in the report. Now we need an on field skipper to get these blokes back the 10 and do what is wanted.
Leadership has been the missing element.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The reffs calls have a Massive outcome on every game played. Some teams do it better than others , that’s a given. and are more disciplined, but when the modern game is run by inept officials, both on field and in Box then you have the knock on affect.. and not to mention agenda with discretion.

game is decided based on stoppages, 6 again calls and penalties, the game does not flow anymore and Is very frustrating to watch. The reff used to make a quick call. Then maybe send it upstairs. Now as soon as call Is made it’s given a no try. And even if blown you can guarantee it will go back to reff to go up, then once it has.. you know will be taken away.

the rules an interpretations are an absolute JOKE. Far to much leeway. It’s either taken to “by the letter of law” or no common sense!!

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
New Bulldogs coach Mick Potter issues challenge to team with NRL’s worst discipline ahead of Belmore return

New Bulldogs coach Mick Potter opens up on a heart-to-heart team meeting where he told his players a few home truths, writes Paul Crawley.

New Bulldogs coach Mick Potter has opened up about an honesty session he had with the team on Monday, where he challenged the struggling side with the NRL’s worst discipline to play “within the rules”.
It comes as Canterbury prepares for Sunday’s return to the club’s spiritual home at Belmore, that is expected to be a sellout when they take on the Dragons.
But while Potter says he’d love to see the Dogs back playing at Belmore on a more regular basis, he conceded the biggest issue confronting the players was getting their discipline in order — so they at least give themselves a chance to win some games.

Fox Sports Stats shows that the Bulldogs have conceded the equal most infringements of any team this year along with Manly, with a total of 107.

That comes from 74 penalties and 33 set restarts.
To put it in perspective Parramatta has the best record with a total of 65 from 49 penalties and 16 six agains.
But whereas Trent Barrett would often complain about the fact the Dogs copped a hard time from the whistle blowers, Potter’s taking a different approach.
“You’ve got to do those selfless acts,” Potter said, after watching the Dogs finish on the wrong side of an 11-4 penalty count in his first game in charge in the 36-22 loss to Wests Tigers.

Asked if fixing the discipline was the biggest challenge he has to confront, Potter didn’t hide from the obvious: “Well, we are the worst in penalties and six to goes in the comp, so I’d say yes.
“It gives us a chance to do more attack if we are not giving the ball to the other team.
“The discipline is probably paramount to the change we have to make.
“I am not saying that is going to win us the game, but that is going to keep us competitive and going to keep us in the game more often.
“We can’t surrender the ball and give penalties away. It just makes it too hard.”
Asked how he can help change it, he said: “We spoke about that this morning.
“It’s a mentality, isn’t it?
“It is awareness of tackle counts, and how important it is to not go to the nth degree to either slow the ruck down, or make sure the referee knows you are trying to get out.
“Whatever it is, it is real important that we don’t march the other team down the field.”

After such a forgettable season so far Potter is confident the return to Belmore will give the players extra motivation.
Though since 2015 the have a shocking record at Belmore, only winning two of nine games, the last being against the Knights in round 18 of 2017. Before that it was round 16 in 2015 against Melbourne.
Potter wishes the Dogs could make Belmore their permanent playing base: “I think so. I think playing externally is counter-productive.
“And if you look at Leichhardt Oval on Friday night, do you think there would have been a couple of things that wouldn’t have gone the opposition’s way if the crowd wasn’t chanting ridiculous things?
“I am not sure they influence but they certainly build some pressure on the officials.”
He said everyone at the club was looking forward to this weekend’s return.
“I think being at Belmore is a great incentive,” he continued.
“To come back to those community grounds is fantastic.
“I think (the players) should be charged for every game. I am not sure there is an extra charge but I think they are keen to do well and I think they are keen to try and get a result.
“We can’t think about that or worry about that.

“What we need is to do the right thing with the ball and when we haven’t got the ball.
“Stay within the rules.”
Good on him our discipline is terrible what was the penalty count against tigers 10-3??
And this has been that way since Barrett took over. We aren’t a top four side to chance our arm like the other clubs do cause they can defend.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
New Bulldogs coach Mick Potter issues challenge to team with NRL’s worst discipline ahead of Belmore return

New Bulldogs coach Mick Potter opens up on a heart-to-heart team meeting where he told his players a few home truths, writes Paul Crawley.

New Bulldogs coach Mick Potter has opened up about an honesty session he had with the team on Monday, where he challenged the struggling side with the NRL’s worst discipline to play “within the rules”.
It comes as Canterbury prepares for Sunday’s return to the club’s spiritual home at Belmore, that is expected to be a sellout when they take on the Dragons.
But while Potter says he’d love to see the Dogs back playing at Belmore on a more regular basis, he conceded the biggest issue confronting the players was getting their discipline in order — so they at least give themselves a chance to win some games.

Fox Sports Stats shows that the Bulldogs have conceded the equal most infringements of any team this year along with Manly, with a total of 107.

That comes from 74 penalties and 33 set restarts.
To put it in perspective Parramatta has the best record with a total of 65 from 49 penalties and 16 six agains.
But whereas Trent Barrett would often complain about the fact the Dogs copped a hard time from the whistle blowers, Potter’s taking a different approach.
“You’ve got to do those selfless acts,” Potter said, after watching the Dogs finish on the wrong side of an 11-4 penalty count in his first game in charge in the 36-22 loss to Wests Tigers.

Asked if fixing the discipline was the biggest challenge he has to confront, Potter didn’t hide from the obvious: “Well, we are the worst in penalties and six to goes in the comp, so I’d say yes.
“It gives us a chance to do more attack if we are not giving the ball to the other team.
“The discipline is probably paramount to the change we have to make.
“I am not saying that is going to win us the game, but that is going to keep us competitive and going to keep us in the game more often.
“We can’t surrender the ball and give penalties away. It just makes it too hard.”
Asked how he can help change it, he said: “We spoke about that this morning.
“It’s a mentality, isn’t it?
“It is awareness of tackle counts, and how important it is to not go to the nth degree to either slow the ruck down, or make sure the referee knows you are trying to get out.
“Whatever it is, it is real important that we don’t march the other team down the field.”

After such a forgettable season so far Potter is confident the return to Belmore will give the players extra motivation.
Though since 2015 the have a shocking record at Belmore, only winning two of nine games, the last being against the Knights in round 18 of 2017. Before that it was round 16 in 2015 against Melbourne.
Potter wishes the Dogs could make Belmore their permanent playing base: “I think so. I think playing externally is counter-productive.
“And if you look at Leichhardt Oval on Friday night, do you think there would have been a couple of things that wouldn’t have gone the opposition’s way if the crowd wasn’t chanting ridiculous things?
“I am not sure they influence but they certainly build some pressure on the officials.”
He said everyone at the club was looking forward to this weekend’s return.
“I think being at Belmore is a great incentive,” he continued.
“To come back to those community grounds is fantastic.
“I think (the players) should be charged for every game. I am not sure there is an extra charge but I think they are keen to do well and I think they are keen to try and get a result.
“We can’t think about that or worry about that.

“What we need is to do the right thing with the ball and when we haven’t got the ball.
“Stay within the rules.”
Slowly tearing the band aid off, well done Mick. It’s no point like Baz complaining that the team is hard done by. Play within the parameters of the rules. This will probably reduce a lot of fatigue in the players as well. We just need to find these points that we can gradually tweak and see if they assist the team week to week. Slow and steady…..

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it was in the JAC interview for this week where he discussed how we behave under fatigue. The better teams still have the discipline under fatigue but we do not. I think having someone in your ear reminding you helps in that, I do not think JJ is that person. Closest we had to that was when JAC was yelling at everyone in the win against the Roosters.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think it was in the JAC interview for this week where he discussed how we behave under fatigue. The better teams still have the discipline under fatigue but we do not. I think having someone in your ear reminding you helps in that, I do not think JJ is that person. Closest we had to that was when JAC was yelling at everyone in the win against the Roosters.
JAC sits on his wing where JJ does 48 tackles a game. JJ is a leader and all the players respect that.

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The biggest problem is we are under fatigue from 20 minutes in cause we lack fitness and through the ball away so easily.
I feel bad for potter trying to work with this low base but hopefully after a few rounds he will make changes and hopefully getus playing some entertaining football

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Agreed, unfortunately it will be like dealing with young children and having to remind them constantly. Mr Potter will need to remind them before, during and after every game and then sit in the coaches box shaking his head saying how many f@#king times do I have to tell them haha. On the fitness side of things, I know fitness sessions taper off during the season, but I’d run the ar$e of these guys for the rest of the year, finish the year off fitter than they started and for those players staying on in 2023, it’s at least a better foundation to build on for next year.
If they only had to remind players what to do once you wouldn't need a coach. Just give them a handbook.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The challenge is “I’ll pick all you useless ***** in exactly the same positions and now it’s up to you all to keep doing what you’ve been doing”

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The more I hear mick speak, the more I like him, accountability has been a massive issue in this team for years. I really hope he gets a response from the playing group. If he can get them off the bottom of the ladder and sneak them into 10/12 at the end of the year (where this roster should be) he should be given the coaches job full time for mine,

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Harry looks like the transition coach, he is harder than Baz but not as hard as Flanno.

WillieMasonFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Should be headed "The Kennel Issues Challenge to Potter" and be about challenging him to pick a team minus the deadwood like Dufty, Waddell, JMK, Avo, etc.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
After watching that interview Flanno doesn’t sound hard to me, he sounds desperate.
Hey bruv,

i see it differently because of my optimism, not desperate, but keen to coach us, yes it’s an opportunity for him to get back into the role, and yes his son is here. So obviously that’s an attraction, but he will not keep Kyle in the side if he’s no up to it, which is a positive, and the fact with opportunity he actually wants it enough and wants to coach us will be a big thing. He will have something to prove and like anyone, if you are applying for a new role that you want. Then of course you will drive it home an tell them what you want them to hear. Part of human nature.

I just read between the lines a little, and I feel he will be great for the bulldogs going forward. He instils confidence in me, and I like how he has expressed wanting this gig. Best coach floating around and we can only benefit if he stays true to his words :grinning: My two cents lol.