News Potter issues challenge to Dogs

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This charade hopefully only lasts for this round and then a call is made. Payout Barrett, tell the press to go fuck themselves and hire the coach.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Something basic and routine that should have been drummed into them before this as routine ...but apparently hasn't.

Get that discipline sorted then pressure and possession is relieved greatly.

KISS tactics the first task to give to these dumbos.
Absolutely. For the life of me I don't understand how Barrett and his "coaching staff" let this go on and didn't address it for the last year. Every game it was the same. Jacko, Waddell and JMK are the worst offenders

It took Potter 1 session to address it....thank god

That's why we need a tough coach to tell these players some home truths and let them no it's not good enough

Bravo Mick Potter

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Potter been here for 2 minutes and already addressed the BIGGEST ISSUE of this team.

What the fuck was Barrett doing
I think Barrett was purposely coaching them to slow the play the ball down as much as possible because he knew his bearded mate didn't have the team fit enough to keep up with the play.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
New Bulldogs coach Mick Potter issues challenge to team with NRL’s worst discipline ahead of Belmore return

New Bulldogs coach Mick Potter opens up on a heart-to-heart team meeting where he told his players a few home truths, writes Paul Crawley.

New Bulldogs coach Mick Potter has opened up about an honesty session he had with the team on Monday, where he challenged the struggling side with the NRL’s worst discipline to play “within the rules”.
It comes as Canterbury prepares for Sunday’s return to the club’s spiritual home at Belmore, that is expected to be a sellout when they take on the Dragons.
But while Potter says he’d love to see the Dogs back playing at Belmore on a more regular basis, he conceded the biggest issue confronting the players was getting their discipline in order — so they at least give themselves a chance to win some games.

Fox Sports Stats shows that the Bulldogs have conceded the equal most infringements of any team this year along with Manly, with a total of 107.

That comes from 74 penalties and 33 set restarts.
To put it in perspective Parramatta has the best record with a total of 65 from 49 penalties and 16 six agains.
But whereas Trent Barrett would often complain about the fact the Dogs copped a hard time from the whistle blowers, Potter’s taking a different approach.
“You’ve got to do those selfless acts,” Potter said, after watching the Dogs finish on the wrong side of an 11-4 penalty count in his first game in charge in the 36-22 loss to Wests Tigers.

Asked if fixing the discipline was the biggest challenge he has to confront, Potter didn’t hide from the obvious: “Well, we are the worst in penalties and six to goes in the comp, so I’d say yes.
“It gives us a chance to do more attack if we are not giving the ball to the other team.
“The discipline is probably paramount to the change we have to make.
“I am not saying that is going to win us the game, but that is going to keep us competitive and going to keep us in the game more often.
“We can’t surrender the ball and give penalties away. It just makes it too hard.”
Asked how he can help change it, he said: “We spoke about that this morning.
“It’s a mentality, isn’t it?
“It is awareness of tackle counts, and how important it is to not go to the nth degree to either slow the ruck down, or make sure the referee knows you are trying to get out.
“Whatever it is, it is real important that we don’t march the other team down the field.”

After such a forgettable season so far Potter is confident the return to Belmore will give the players extra motivation.
Though since 2015 the have a shocking record at Belmore, only winning two of nine games, the last being against the Knights in round 18 of 2017. Before that it was round 16 in 2015 against Melbourne.
Potter wishes the Dogs could make Belmore their permanent playing base: “I think so. I think playing externally is counter-productive.
“And if you look at Leichhardt Oval on Friday night, do you think there would have been a couple of things that wouldn’t have gone the opposition’s way if the crowd wasn’t chanting ridiculous things?
“I am not sure they influence but they certainly build some pressure on the officials.”
He said everyone at the club was looking forward to this weekend’s return.
“I think being at Belmore is a great incentive,” he continued.
“To come back to those community grounds is fantastic.
“I think (the players) should be charged for every game. I am not sure there is an extra charge but I think they are keen to do well and I think they are keen to try and get a result.
“We can’t think about that or worry about that.

“What we need is to do the right thing with the ball and when we haven’t got the ball.
“Stay within the rules.”
We all agree with all that Mick says here. However it is plain to see because of our lacj of fitness, the team is always trying to slow the game down hence lack od discipline and wrong end of penalty counts. Its a snowball thing. How Mick addresses this immediately is the big question. Players dont just get fit in a week, although not having the wheel around goes a long way. Now to get rid of that other defensive clown Furnace.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Onya Pots. Barrett gave them way too many excuses and their performance week after week showed it. So glad to see a coach (even a caretaker) not afraid to address the elephant in the room and doesn’t resort to blaming referees etc. It’s a relatively simple game: get us fit, have a real game plan and have the discipline to deliver it and you should win more than you lose.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You hit the nail on the head accountability is paramount which seemed to be missing from our mate Baz.
I really hope Mick is prepared to drop players if their not performing to an acceptable level or just not putting in 100%
We still have plenty of games to make something of the season.
We are waiting in anticipation and baited breath for 1600 this aftrnoon.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
TBH, I think it is a bit simplistic. Melbourne Storm push the envelope in every tackle, just don't get penalised as much. 6 agains are a joke depending on the ref. Maybe this shapes the narrative publicly better to perhaps get a fairer go from officials
My coach used to say if you are going to punch someone do it in a way not to get caught. Melbourne has mastered that art. So have panties and suffs

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Won’t get fixed with an “honesty session” major issue with our ill discipline is we simply lack fitness and a low skill set both in attack & defence. The side has a very low football IQ across the park & no genuine leader in the middle.
We all know the problem I think Mick knows too. As I said getting rid of the wheel will go a long way to improving our fitness.

Malla

Reaction score
Onya Pots. Barrett gave them way too many excuses and their performance week after week showed it. So glad to see a coach (even a caretaker) not afraid to address the elephant in the room and doesn’t resort to blaming referees etc. It’s a relatively simple game: get us fit, have a real game plan and have the discipline to deliver it and you should win more than you lose.
Yeah it's simple hey. Gus always alluded to it on channel 9, on his podcast and on twitter... hold on to the ball, stop giving away penalties and be more disciplined. Fix that and we are a good team. Barrett was focusing on higher level shit before we got the low level stuff right. As a head coach, he still clearly has a lot to learn.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Are we expecting a “sell out” at Belmore? I’d be very surprised

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yeah it's simple hey. Gus always alluded to it on channel 9, on his podcast and on twitter... hold on to the ball, stop giving away penalties and be more disciplined. Fix that and we are a good team. Barrett was focusing on higher level shit before we got the low level stuff right. As a head coach, he still clearly has a lot to learn.
Agree 100%, he went the opposite way, instead of concentrating on good clean low level stuff(ball handling, discipline, play the ball speed, fitness etc) and then slowly introducing the style and structure overtime, he went full high level rugby league structures that great teams play like Penrith before he drilled the basic stuff into the team. He coupled that with some dud buys like Waddell, Flanno, Allen, Dufty, Naden etc to execute his game plan. Very clear how it unfolded. And on top of that made excuses for his teams lack of anything.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Coach for life . Love potter he nailed it .
Discipline is poor and he is not blaming refs . Two key points slow play the ball to nth degree and make sure ref sees your trying to get out .

few points dogs are sloppy at slowing it down and make it obvious , unlike storm who make it seem like accidents that they get tangled up .

also the slowing down is hang up of fed Hasler days , no coincidence that manly is just as bad , and game against parra they were shocking

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Good to hear..like that he wants us to do well, but he is only INTRIM.

just bring FLANNO in, he’s the man for us.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stop doing 5 hit ups and bomb will go a long way toward winning a game

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Every week its the same. We give away the first penalty in record time usually followed up with an error next time we have the ball. Switch that around different week, same deal.
How many times have you thought 'this team is dumb'.
Its been the same for years.

Now add to that zero attack. So when we get our first opportunity 10-15 out from the try line it is a rarity that we score, apply pressure, look dangerous, repeat sets etc.

Defense wins games blah blah blah but with zero attack and never getting on the front foot we never play with confidence which compounds the issues and we crumble. We never lay a platform to build off and to add to that we have no on field leedership.

Then there is poor fitness.

We have a deep seated loser mentality. We been playing park footy for years and haven't evolved. We are years behind.
Our interim coach telling us here what is so obvious to anyone thats ever watched the game of rugby league. Disiplin with the ball and dont give away dumb penalties because we simply cant afford them.
Its been as if we havent even had a coach and we just rock up game day without a plan.

Long road ahead.