Rumour Are we getting Paulo ?

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Move thommo on at $700k sign paulo $800k ish doesn’t make sense keep thommo
Tigers are a chance of paying 750k for Thompson. Paulo could take 750K plus TBA's so even considering the 100K we'd have to tip in for Thompson it could be a virtual straight swap (maybe 50K extra for a State of Origin quality prop).

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Waddell, Stimson and Flanagan would free up ~400k and we'd have to replace 2 of them with minimum wage players (200k). No one wants these players and we're stuck with them.
I think Flanagan is on $450k on his own

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think Flanagan is in $450 on his own
Who's picking him up for that? No one. I know they're on (a lot) more than what we could get to move them on early.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Is Thompson going to attract 3 defenders every time he runs the ball like Paulo does ? Is he big enough to crash through multiple defenders when close to the tryline ? Has he ever been really dominant when defending ? Can he ballplay ? Does he have an offload ?

Paulo would give us much better X-factor than Thompson. Would create much more space for his teammates. Will never get monstered by anyone. He'll be the one doing the monstering.

I used to love watching Kasiano bend the line. Paulo can be similar. Thompson gives up too much size / weight to others (smaller than Elliott FFS)
Thats why I have always stated that Thompson is not a prop forward.
He absolutely must be retained and he must play on the edge.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don’t think Paulo wants to shift from his family network in Sydney - I dare say the Raiders stint would have given him that insight so I’m counting the Dolphins out leaving Parra and Dogs to scrap for him… I’m speculating that we are looking to get the right deal from the Storm for Thompson to make a play for Paulo. I don’t think Parra could match our offer with Moses, Gutho, Brown, RCG and Matterson all on decent coin.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I wouldn't be upset if we signed him, but do we really need him at around 800k though. We would have to move Thommo on and likely pay part of his freight. Meaning Paulo would be costing us in the vicinity of a Million

Hulk76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What everyone has to realise is that the players themselves know that the premiership window they had is now closed. Parra can't hold on to them all now. The players will look at who is in that window with the best possibility roster over the next 2-3 years that have the best chance of winning a comp. We look likely to do this in the next 3 years.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What everyone has to realise is that the players themselves know that the premiership window they had is now closed. Parra can't hold on to them all now. The players will look at who is in that window with the best possibility roster over the next 2-3 years that have the best chance of winning a comp. We look likely to do this in the next 3 years.
spot on. it’s like the early 2000’s when everybody wanted to play for us again. because we’re going to win something, unlike parramatta and wests players choose to come to us. their careers are short lived and if they want to win a premiership, there’s a chance they’ll have to move to other clubs.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
speedy he has never played edge and i dont he would suit an edge imo. 13 is his best position with 2 big props.
I agree he has never been selected as an edge player in the UK.
However, the way he plays, and his light weight, (102KGS) makes him more suitable as an edge player.
He has speed for a forward and is a good defender.
He was a try scoring machine in the UK. He did that by playing wide and running off players. (Watch the videos)
If we get Paulo and have Vaughn in the front row, he will be able to replicate what he achieved in the UK.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I agree he has never been selected as an edge player in the UK.
However, the way he plays, and his light weight, (102KGS) makes him more suitable as an edge player.
He has speed for a forward and is a good defender.
He was a try scoring machine in the UK. He did that by playing wide and running off players. (Watch the videos)
If we get Paulo and have Vaughn in the front row, he will be able to replicate what he achieved in the UK.
I can see your logic but he did that as a middle not an edge. They are 2 totally different positions in attack and defence. If we have Vaughn and TPJ as props/ middles then Thommo plays 13

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I can see your logic but he did that as a middle not an edge. They are 2 totally different positions in attack and defence. If we have Vaughn and TPJ as props/ middles then Thommo plays 13
I like the look of TPJ, Vaughny & Thommo in the middle. Only issue then is the captain. He’d have to shift to an edge and I think personally those days are over mainly cause he doesn’t have the lateral movement he used to have.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I like the look of TPJ, Vaughny & Thommo in the middle. Only issue then is the captain. He’d have to shift to an edge and I think personally those days are over mainly cause he doesn’t have the lateral movement he used to have.
i agree, it is going to be a juggling act. i think jacko can play right edge, although not the best option attacking wise, but he needs to play less minutes and be kept fresh if he is going to play there. Other option is one of TPJ, Vaughn and Thommo comes from the bench. Me personally would have Jacko on the bench in a rotation with the middles, RFM and Hetherington as the edges.