Cotric to raiders in 2022

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Doesn't matter what anyone here thinks about letting him go, the Dogs have a clear plan in mind and he's not part of it.

He hasn't shown us that he's value for money and there is no guarantee that he ever will and Gus see's his money being spent better elsewhere.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
add Coates, Holmes and S.Crichton and you’ve got 10 chief
Coates disagree but can see point. Blokes hands let him down a lot.

Holmes yep sure at the sharks before nfl. Since then been woeful and on about 1mil.

Crichton is a centre. Though I’d take him if cotric yes.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
He was signed on crazy money on a wing and a prayer centre money, when we were at a very low point and had had very few decent signings for years and years.

It didn't work out for several reasons but thank you Nic.

Probably a desperate move now in hindsight but circumstances and our roster have been radically strengthened since, so that's why it looks like it's happening this way.

Plus Gus and now competent stability in management and the Board.

The circumstances and roster build have evolved since and Nic is the unfortunate recipient because of that. Since we've heard nothing of Nic's problem or bitterness about these negotiations, we assume he is ok with it ....and Gus and the club are looking after him during the negotiations and mindful of his career and future.

All parties negotiate best way forward to fulfill all parties needs and benefits.

Club before player.
That's the way it is: and always should be.

Last edited:

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no idea where Cotric rates as a winger, and I don't care TBH, as that's not the point. The point is can we replace him with someone cheaper, who can do almost as good a job as he can, if it means we can use his salary to strengthen another area of our roster...and Gus obviously thinks the answer is yes. I'm happy to go with Gus on this one.

The issue isn't Cotric, it's his salary. I'm shocked this story has turned into 14 pages. I assumed 99% of TK would have supported this but there seems to be a lot of love for Cotric on $650K for some reason

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
add Coates, Holmes and S.Crichton and you’ve got 10 chief
yeah definitely agree with Coates. Didn't include the other 2 as Holmes played fullback all last year and Crichton was in a few different position. But agree when playing on the wing they're top notch. How do you feel about the rest of the list?

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He was signed on crazy money on a wing and a prayer centre money, when we were at a very low point and had had very few decent signings for years and years.

It didn't work out for several reasons but thank you Nic.

Probably a desperate move now in hindsight but circumstances and our roster have been radically strengthened since, so that's why it looks like it's happening this way.

Plus Gus and now competent stability in management and the Board.

The circumstances and roster build have evolved since and Nic is the unfortunate recipient because of that. Since we've heard nothing of Nic's problem or bitterness about these negotiations, we assume he is ok with it ....and Gus and the club are looking after him during the negotiations and mindful of his career and future.

All parties negotiate best way forward to fulfill all parties needs and benefits.

Club before player.
That's the way it is: and always should be.
Spot on. Clubs have to be ruthless these days.

Look what the roosters did with Pearce. They are about to do the same with Verrills

South’s just let their captain walk

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Spot on. Clubs have to be ruthless these days.

Look what the roosters did with Pearce. They are about to do the same with Verrills

South’s just let their captain walk
If we want to compete with the big boys and restore the club to it's rightful place in the heirachy, then we have to be ruthless (in a fair way which is the way Gus will guide us thru).

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think I have heard of any player that has bagged him for being dudded and only heard praise and respect for the bloke from players.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we want to compete with the big boys and restore the club to it's rightful place in the heirachy, then we have to be ruthless (in a fair way which is the way Gus will guide us thru).

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think I have heard of any player that has bagged him for being dudded and only heard praise and respect for the bloke from players.
He moved on quiet a few players at Penrith to make way for the juniors coming through. It’s not a nice part of the business but the players still get paid what they are owed

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
He moved on quiet a few players at Penrith to make way for the juniors coming through. It’s not a nice part of the business but the players still get paid what they are owed
Yes he did that mini clean out, but the players know the score and if they get treated right in the process, that's all you can expect.

Happens in all professional sports, amateur and backyards too.

Even with those Penny players, I dont recall a blow up like Ricky, Madge, Kevvy, Brian Smith copped with the way they've handled themselves when needing to change rosters.

Gus knows what he's doing.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes he did that mini clean out, but the players know the score and if they get treated right in the process, that's all you can expect.

Happens in all professional sports, amateur and backyards too.

Even with those Penny players, I dont recall a blow up like Ricky, Madge, Kevvy, Brian Smith copped with the way they've handled themselves when needing to change rosters.

Gus knows what he's doing.
How bad was it when Ricky put those players names he was sacking on the whiteboard ??

Reni attempted suicide after that.

I agree that Gus genuinely cares about the players. On his podcast this year he was asked about what he was most proud of during his time at Penrith. He told a story about a young bloke who came to the club but couldn’t quiet cut it as an nrl standard player (much like our squad of the last 2 years).

Anyway part of the junior development system he put in place required the players to do a trade or some sort of educational course. The bloke who didn’t make it to the nrl started studying law while he was still in the system and got his law degree.

I think JAC might follow suit ….

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I ask the pessimists on TK this question...
How would you feel or think if management didn't prepare if somehow MAHONEY becomes available for 2022 season but we can't do it ?
Unlike their predecessors, the management are now planning way in advance !!!

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How would you feel or think if management didn't prepare if somehow MAHONEY becomes available for 2022 season but we can't do it ?
so he's coming for 2022 then

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Typical Bulldogs cap management. Sign a player for overs and then celebrate the ‘savings’ when this player is moved on and we are stuck paying part of his salary

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only positive from cotric signing was it was the beginning of attracting better players. Was it worth it? Hell yes… he was only a winger/centre but it could have been the 1% difference in other players signing with us over other clubs. Knowing we are rebuilding. So thank you cotric for your contribution on and off the field. Time to move on and build a new dynasty that our kids can be proud of.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Typical Bulldogs cap management. Sign a player for overs and then celebrate the ‘savings’ when this player is moved on and we are stuck paying part of his salary
Different managements
That was then it's different now !

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
That's a chicken and the egg argument, what if we have the Cap space and Mahoney doesn't become available? We end up having to recruit and pay a player last minute before the NRL closes off contracts that we might otherwise not want. The problem is we have to spend 95% of the Cap every year and have 30 players. We can't bank it and have 29 players this year and then have 31 next year.

"Way in advance", by the time any new player arrives the season will be starting in ~3 months, hardly way in advance. As for 2023 we have 9 players off contract so no need to be looking now that far in advance.

Always a Bulldog