Tigers Confirm Talks With Cotric

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’d like to keep him for 2022, and if we are under cap pressure release him for 2023. I don’t get why we have to release him for next season. Only way I’d accept it happily is if Mahoney comes over. Otherwise keep him. We’re a better team with him in our 17.

Burgler

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If we're not tight on cap space for next year, why would/should we release him early? A few injuries to outsides backs and we're looking in trouble.

Doesn't make any sense to release him.
Exactly.
He's come from a season that we finished last playing in a backline with meaney, okunbor, hoppa, Katoa, different halves combination each week. If anything he's value would be lower now and we would appear more desperate now to unload him.

He's going into a season with the addition of dufty, Burton, fox, naden, burns, etc. You can't tell me he won't have a better year this with that squad and if we have to unload him for 23 it's an expiring contract that we probably have more chance to get a team to pay more for as it's a low risk to them Md gives them 12 months to work out if he is worth re-signing.

Unless we have something up our sleeve for 22, makes 0 sense

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
If we're not tight on cap space for next year, why would/should we release him early? A few injuries to outsides backs and we're looking in trouble.

Doesn't make any sense to release him.
What if we need cap space for kikau or mahoney to come early?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Our backline is better with Cotric in it. End of story. Yes he is on slightly too much, but we are a better team with him than without him.

It would also suck from the point of view that we want players to feel like they can buy into the team. Moving players on this way, even if expedient from a cap space point of view, leaves a bad taste in the mouth.
He's on about 200k too much a season, not worth more than 450k max. If we moved him on and freed up a minimum 1m+ over the next two seasons and that helped us make a key signing then it seems like a good move.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I agree with most BUT cmon rating Fusitua, Rapana, Sivo and Ferguson higher than a fit Nic Cotric.
To a degree it depends on what type of winger you want. But from a whole of game point of view AND a market value point of view, no way is Cotric lower than old guys like Fergo and Rapana, and Sivo had an awful season in 21 despite being in a top 6 team.

I also don't think Nofoluma goes any good outside the Tiggers, and am waiting to see how Coates goes at Strom. Cotric for mine has more runs on the board than him.

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not a massive fan of this one I have to say. Cotric took a punt and joined us at a time when we seemed like a bit of a basket case. There was all sorts of press at the time saying how he shouldn't do it and he would jeopordize his future rep prospects. He still stuck solid. Now he didn't set the world on fire but he was surrounded by absolute trash, namely at halfback and a so called forward pack. Now that we're actually shaping up as being competitive again he won't really get a chance to showcase what he's capable of.

Now I get the economics behind it. The salary he's on is ridiculous (I think it's more than JAC?!) but that's not his fault. That's the $ we had to shell out to get quality players across. I would much prefer we give him a season behind a better quality team before making a decision. It's a big call to say Alamoti is ready for a first grade call up, plus Okunbur barely looked up to first grade standard and Schoupp was solid but hardly set the world on fire as much as some Bulldog supporters like to think. Really feel as though we did this dude dirty if he is released and if we cop grief in the media about it then I think it's warranted in this case.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He's on about 200k too much a season, not worth more than 450k max. If we moved him on and freed up a minimum 1m+ over the next two seasons and that helped us make a key signing then it seems like a good move.
Yeah I can see the expediency in it, and to some degree he is a victim of the sense around the club at the time that we needed to overpay to attract top flight players, but it still sucks, and we are not as good without him.

Maybe we need a game plan that gets as much value out of our wingers as possible... they have the ability to deliver.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Trust in Gus to make the right call, if he's indeed on the move than its for the best of the team long term.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah I can see the expediency in it, and to some degree he is a victim of the sense around the club at the time that we needed to overpay to attract top flight players, but it still sucks, and we are not as good without him.

Maybe we need a game plan that gets as much value out of our wingers as possible... they have the ability to deliver.
Nic is fully fit again and killing it at training. He will be massive for us bringing the ball out from our goal line especially.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We got TPJ, Vaughan and a few others because they broke their contracts early. I didn't hear anyone complaining about how sacred contracts should be then. Again, that's just the way things are these days. Clubs move players on to free up cap space and fill other holes in their rosters. It's not personal, it's just business. The modern player understands that.

For anyone worried about how this will reflect on the club, it hasn't stopped us signing Burton, Fox, Kikau, Mahoney etc so clearly it's not an issue.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We got TPJ, Vaughan and a few others because they broke their contracts early. I didn't hear anyone complaining about how sacred contracts should be then. Again, that's just the way things are these days. Clubs move players on to free up cap space and fill other holes in their rosters. It's not personal, it's just business. The modern player understands that.

For anyone worried about how this will reflect on the club, it hasn't stopped us signing Burton, Fox, Kikau, Mahoney etc so clearly it's not an issue.
The players you mentioned were pushed out from the clubs though. "Vaughan & TPJ"

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Should help with negotiations with the Raiders, less freight!