Official Dogs snare Kikau in major signing coup

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
We just signed TPJ for 750k to play second row. We have Thompson on 800k, Jackson on 600k and Vaughan on 450k so getting Kikau for 800k plus on a 4 year deal is a luxury we can't afford.

I don't know how we can get a rep calibre fullback, half or hooker with all that money tied up in forwards plus Cotric, Fox and Burton..

We'll be cap fucked for years with no balance in the team and still an average spine outside of Burton.
For the millionth time;
Thompson is not on $800k in our Cap
TPJ is not on $750k in our Cap
Jackson is not on $600k in our Cap
Vaughan is not on $450k in our Cap
What is in the Cap is the only thing that matters.

All of the above includes transfer fees (Thompson), relocation costs (Thompson & TPJ), cars (Thompson & Jackson), education allowances (Jackson) and the veteran/Developed Player allowance is applicable to Jackson which effectively increases our Cap by $200k. There are TPA's in place included above which are not included in our Cap either.

Plus we have 11 players off contract in 2023, Vaughan is one of them. So even if we were paying Vaughan $450k (which we aren't) then Kikau is only a $350k net even if he is on $800k which I feel pretty confident in saying is inflated just like the others.

Always a Bulldog

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
For the haters... Kikau had a quiet 2021 I agree but still made the top 25 players for Post contact metres, tackle breaks, offloads.
And top 45 for line breaks, like break assist and metres gained.
And scored 9 tries.
Would any forward we had in 21 beat those stats??
Sounds like even on a bad day he still beats 90 percent of our forwards on their good day.
The same argument could have been made for She-Rex though. I'd rather someone like Papali'i who's consistent and works his ass off every game for less money than Kikau who can win a game single handedly one week and then miss 10 tackles and have 2 errors the next week.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
For the millionth time;
Thompson is not on $800k in our Cap
TPJ is not on $750k in our Cap
Jackson is not on $600k in our Cap
Vaughan is not on $450k in our Cap
What is in the Cap is the only thing that matters.

All of the above includes transfer fees (Thompson), relocation costs (Thompson & TPJ), cars (Thompson & Jackson), education allowances (Jackson) and the veteran/Developed Player allowance is applicable to Jackson which effectively increases our Cap by $200k. There are TPA's in place included above which are not included in our Cap either.

Plus we have 11 players off contract in 2023, Vaughan is one of them. So even if we were paying Vaughan $450k (which we aren't) then Kikau is only a $350k net even if he is on $750k which I feel pretty confident in saying is inflated just like the others.

Always a Bulldog
Even if we had $10 million in cap space I wouldn't want to pay big money for Kikau.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Seriously?

We should have used this money for smith.

1, 6, 7 and 9 make the team, yet our 7 and 9 are average and duds.

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We dont have to sign players in the order that we need them, so dont ruin the excitement by referencing Mahney.
If we cant sign a hooker yet, it doesnt mean we have to sit still until we do. We're obviously going hard for a hooker, so sit back and enjoy us acting like a big club again! We'll be competing for the next decade! We deserve this after what weve been through

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Assembling a decent pack again

BUT

The best part about this will be the Tigers and Parra fans blowing up saying we are over the cap lol

Tigs sign Papali..
Papa Gould "Hold my beer you toothless cunts"
Gold !

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If we were to sign kikau and mahoney I’m for it. If it cost us a priority signing which is a spine position then thats poor management. For 800k you would expect a spine position not a second rower, for 800k you want a player who’s hands are always on the ball.
Nowhere in the article did it say we paid 800k though. Thats just your assumption.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
The DT

Canterbury have pulled off a recruitment coup with the Bulldogs set to land Penrith premiership-winning forward Viliame Kikau on a four-year deal.
The Bulldogs have beaten out the Cowboys and St George Illawarra to secure one of the game’s most damaging edge forwards.

It is understood the Cowboys offered a four-year deal worth about $800,000 a season while the Dragons offered a three-year contract.

Kikau is expected to see out the final year of his deal at the Panthers before joining Canterbury in 2023.

He has a close relationship with new Bulldogs head of football Phil Gould and coach Trent Barrett following their respective stints at the Panthers.

The Bulldogs are also in the mix to sign Eels hooker Reed Mahoney.
800k a season... Fuck wouldn't feed the **** more than 550k

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
OMG !
Are Bulldogs fans on this thread trolling or have NFI about rugby league ?
How anyone can be critical of Kikau signing beggars belief.
The Dogs have been atrocious for the past 4 years and sign one of the most damaging forwards in the game and there are some wood ducks posting negative comments.
Unbelievable
Absolutely agree, 100%!!! There is no downside to this at all. Sure, it ties up some cap space, but Kikau is a fucking beast! Why would anyone complain about signing him. Im sure the rorters wouldn't.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
800k a season... Fuck wouldn't feed the **** more than 550k
He could be on 200k third party’s who knows mate.

One thing I know is if we had Elliott on near 500k with Stimson on probz the balance Of 800k (poached from storm) I’d take Kikau and some minimum wage for fuck all diff everyday of the week!!!

As I said before guys gotta look at it another view. I want a 9 more than any position (smith/Mahoney) that’s it miss it and fail!

Land it! Great.

Though look at it as it is. Elliott gone! Vaughan, rfm, Stimson last year! Hetho could go to and has Player option for 1 more.

Jackson could retire any year.

Thompson has 1 more with Kikau and who knows what’s happening there in the next 12-24 months.

Literally only Pangai locked in.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Did the dogs announce his contract was $800k?

Do you know the structure of the deal and what is included in and out of the cap?

If so, please enlighten us...
All we have to go off are reported figures. Unless you work at the club and behind our salary cap there's nothing better. You know less than a reporter. We're allowed to talk about reported figures... X10 better than being oblivious imo.

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This guy tears us a new arsehole everytime he plays us its like a man against boys and people are unhappy that he will be on our side instead of against us? That left edge is going to be lethal.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
This guy tears us a new arsehole everytime he plays us its like a man against boys and people are unhappy that he will be on our side instead of against us? That left edge is going to be lethal.
Yeh I’d imagine this keeps burton and Jac happy [emoji23]

Imagine that young beast alomit is excited too haha