News Bulldogs are not meant to finish last’: Big Willie back at Belmore

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big willie always been a big mouth piece hopefully he is a positive influence and gets in the ear of the forwards to play tough and hurt the opposition in defence

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phil Gould and big willie, i think the 2 biggest reasons why we lost our dna in the first place outside of todd greenberg

gould commentary against parramatta in the semi in 2007 suggested that our style wasn't working anymore, because kristian inu or someone else smiled after he got hit, and willie mason comments about steve folkes not being a coach, i think these 2 situations led to folkes not being renewed beyong 2008 and he was the one who kept the standards high for the 2000's especially in players toughness and conditioning, see west tigers 2010 and 2011 seasons for more information

moore was doing ok especially with recruitment and hasler almost reaped the benefits of it with a title but by that time our club was based on an overrated baseball movie and hasler creating a set of analytics that showed that tolman was the best forward in the game, i liked tolman for his workrate but he was not the best forward in the game
It wasn't Inu as he didn't play for us until midway through 2012. Folkes was a great player and physical trainer but not a great coach. He was gifted with the best roster in the comp between 2003 to 2007 and only won 1 title. Mason's criticism was Folkes didn't teach the players anything other than fitness and the players sorted out the rest themselves and there's a considerable amount of truth to Mason's claim. Folkes even admitted that tactics were not his strength. It speaks for itself that after Folkes was sacked in 2008 no other NRL club approached him for a head coach role. If Wok, Robinson, Bellamy etc had that roster they would have won 3 or 4 comps during that period.

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It wasn't Inu as he didn't play for us until midway through 2012. Folkes was a great player and physical trainer but not a great coach. He was gifted with the best roster in the comp between 2003 to 2007 and only won 1 title. Mason's criticism was Folkes didn't teach the players anything other than fitness and the players sorted out the rest themselves and there's a considerable amount of truth to Mason's claim. Folkes even admitted that tactics were not his strength. It speaks for itself that after Folkes was sacked in 2008 no other NRL club approached him for a head coach role. If Wok, Robinson, Bellamy etc had that roster they would have won 3 or 4 comps during that period.
Think he’s referring to krisnan inu playing for parra

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
"I know the club, I know the DNA"

Big Willie knows the Bulldogs DNA

and the Sydney Roosters DNA, and the North Queensland Cowboys DNA and the Hull Kingston Rovers DNA and the Newcastle Knights DNA and the Manly Sea Eagles DNA and the Catalan Dragons DNA and the RC Toulonnais DNA.

That's a whole lot of DNA.
But he has chosen the Best DNA :tearsofjoy:

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Welcome back big Willie, he was an integral part of what was the best pack to run out in our colours and arguable the best pack to run out in the game. His experience can only benefit the club.
As long as he doesn't take the boy out on an alcohol bender :tearsofjoy:

stingray

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think mason is still close at the dogs but not sure how involved he is with the whole team structure, he was add some of the juniour bulldogs training programs earlier in the year

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whilst I agree with some of what you are saying I dont think we had the best roster between 2003 and 2007. It was more like 2002 to 2005.

The decision to let Thurston walk in 2004 and then Anasta walk in 2005 put a big hole in our squad. Lets not forget we had Daniel Holdsworth at five eighth in 2006 and 2007.

Yes had strong squads in 2006 and 2007 but they were not the strongest in the comp. Go back and have a look at that Broncos team in 2006 that beat us. We had a great lead and should have won but they blokes like Lockyer, Hodges, Webcke, Civonceiva, Tate, Berrigan, Hunt, etc. I dont think our overall roster was better than them especially with Holdsworth at five eighth.

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think this is a bit of nothing article. Don’t think Willy will have much of an impact if we win or lose and if he does- well that’s a concern.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
He was gifted the best roster? He had nothing to do with it? Very disrespectful post and you should apologise within 24 hours

the 2006 preliminary final loss is against the Brisbane broncos of 2006, go through their roster and see if it was a given that we should win that game, I’ll give you a hint, webke coivonaceva however you spell his name, Lockyer, and maybe 10 other state of origin players

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
The 2012 season had people falling over themselves about how good the attack was but it would rank near the bottom of points scored if you matched it up against folkes seasons, so if he didn’t get in the way with tactics then he is correct to do so

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Folkes not a good coach!

He not only won a premiership as a player and as a coach he was named 2004 coach of the year and is still our longest serving coach having also coached Canterbury Reserve Grade in 1996-1997. Made the GF in his first year as First Grade Coach against Brisbane Broncos.

Folkes is a club legend and should be shown more respect than some of the rubbish posted on here.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember when the Bulldogs were playing a number of their home games at Concord Oval and we had a big win their one day and Willie Mason scored a try, it was the Sunday afternoon televised game and I distinctly remember the brilliant commentary from Ray "Rabbits" Warren when Willie was in the clear and setting sail for the try line with the words, "Every team needs a Willie as big as this one".

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
It's funny now :grinning:
In all honesty we have had a lot worse at our, some were not caught out and some got away with it.
It's all about who you know !!!
Always has been who you blow oops know :-).
And before social media, camera phones etc. I’ve heard a number of older sports people say they’re glad that tech wasn’t around in their heyday - wonder why.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Always has been who you blow oops know :-).
And before social media, camera phones etc. I’ve heard a number of older sports people say they’re glad that tech wasn’t around in their heyday - wonder why.
Remember bumping into good old Willie at St Patricks in the city on a Sunday night when he was all over the shop. Hahaha. Was a good laugh though.