News Buzz Rothfield: Matt Dufty has admitted he signed his St George Illawarra death warrant by failing to obey Anthony Griffin’s orders

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Why are people talking about tackling trying to excuse him? Look at him trying to defuse bombs and grubbers LOL. Defence is more than just tackling and he has been by far the worst defensive fullback in the league for years. Hopefully he turns it around but the club better have another option or two up their sleeve.
If a decision is made to play Dufty at fullback (and the same goes for Jake at 7) I hope Barrett gives them time and doesn't chop and change like he did this year. Barrett might have been able to get away with changing the team around every week this year but I doubt it's going to be tolerated in 22 especially if it doesn't get results.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Dufty is an instinctive attacking player who has a good running game so it would seem weird to tell him to not be as involved. You might as well not pick him.

Hopefully he uses this and the fact that he's playing for a new contract as motivation. His defence, poor positioning and being bad under the high ball are still issues that might cause problems though. He's the type of fullback who can win you a few games and lose you a few..

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
If a decision is made to play Dufty at fullback (and the same goes for Jake at 7) I hope Barrett gives them time and doesn't chop and change like he did this year. Barrett might have been able to get away with changing the team around every week this year but I doubt it's going to be tolerated in 22 especially if it doesn't get results.
You're right, but if Dufty is falling for dummies to no one and continually being out of position and not defusing kicks then it's hard not to scrap him right there and then..

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Especially in the spine. You can't change combinations every week and expect results from those players. He of all people should know that being a former half..

Most of next seasons starting 13 pick themselves. Hopefully Gus has a word with Baz to stop tinkering with the lineup as much.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
more than happy to be proven wrong on this... but I don't like the Dufty signing... he is a talented ball runner but he is not a ball playing option, is a poor defender, and he is soft... he was clearly the worst player on the field against us this year

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
more than happy to be proven wrong on this... but I don't like the Dufty signing... he is a talented ball runner but he is not a ball playing option, is a poor defender, and he is soft... he was clearly the worst player on the field against us this year
11 try assists this season in 15 matches. First match against us 2 try's, 12 tackle breaks and a line break.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
like I said, I hope I am wrong
Me too lol

Look long before we signed Dufty it was obvious as day that Avo isn't a half and I thought a run at FB. I think he (Avo) would have killed it back there but Tbaz never did it and we signed Dufty.......the rest is history now.

Snowmann

Party Rocker
Reaction score
If you’re relying on your fullback yo be a good tackler the teams got bigger problems however I hope he does play the way Barrett wants him to because the team played the exact same style of previous seasons last year
Mate, you can only move a turd so many spaces on a chess board.

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Our attack this and previous years has been utter garbage. I get excited looking at Matt Duftys highlights reel. With the ball in hand he is an attacking weapon. Scoring trys from one end of the field to the other. I'm sure Trent and Gus can help fix his other faults. But you can't coach speed. Which he and our new recruits have. Matt, I hope you score 20 plus tries this year and a hattrick against St George just to rub it in! Good luck, and welcome to the our club!

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ben Barba was a defensive machine. This guys got nothing
Which Ben barba were u watching,great attacking weapon for both us and the sharks,but was targeted by every nrl club defensively,and he was real heart attack material under the highballs.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Scrap him for who ?

Allan ?

- Plodder

Averillo ?

- Has never played senior footy at fb
100% I will be shocked if Dufty is not given the 1 for at least the trials and the first 5 games to own it. I think Allen is more a chance at Centre or possible cover for Dufty.

Avo needs to own 7 or 14 unless we run out of options at 1.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
100% I will be shocked if Dufty is not given the 1 for at least the trials and the first 5 games to own it. I think Allen is more a chance at Centre or possible cover for Dufty.

Avo needs to own 7 or 14 unless we run out of options at 1.
Yep I have no idea where Jake will end up. He has the attributes to be a spine player but we chopped and changed fullbacks all year and he never had one chance there. Says to me the club don’t see him as a fullback.

Jebbundy

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hook is a boring personality and dufty isn’t. Des taught barber how to save a try not defend one, if dufty realises he has the potential to be one of the best fullbacks as Gus has said he needs to be wanted, dufty could be great, he has pv there to help him feel comfortable, he could be magic. We have seen his speed, Burton could unlock him and jac can guide him, I’m excited