News Buzz Rothfield: Matt Dufty has admitted he signed his St George Illawarra death warrant by failing to obey Anthony Griffin’s orders

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buzz Rothfield: Matt Dufty has admitted he signed his St George Illawarra death warrant by failing to obey Anthony Griffin’s orders.
Speaking for the first time as a Canterbury Bulldog, the attacking machine made the stunning revelation that “defiance” cost him his Dragons career. “He wanted to play a certain style of footy with Ben Hunt on both sides of the ruck and controlling the game,” Dufty said.
“He just wanted me to sit back, and I probably ignored his instructions when I got out on to the field. If I saw something I had to take it.
That is just the sort of player I am. I back myself when I see an opportunity and I have always played my footy like that. “Hook (Griffin) is the only coach that has ever told me not to play like that. “I had a Zoom chat with Baz (Trent Barrett) when I was looking at my options,” Dufty said.
“I had a few options but I knew I wanted to go to the Bulldogs when he told me how he wanted me to play and where he was going to use me. “He told me he wanted me to be instinctive and it was that conversation that swayed me to the Bulldogs.
It got me really excited and I knew I wanted to go there before we even talked about contracts.” Dufty will join Josh Addo-Carr and Matt Burton in what promises to be one of the game’s most exciting backlines, after signing a one-year deal to head to Belmore. “I think the one-year deal was the best for both parties,” Dufty said.
“It gives them a good look at me and for me it gives me that incentive because I am playing for my future. “Obviously it would be great if the Doggies want to keep me around. Anyway, I will have those options if I train hard and play good footy.”

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be good if I get what I want and I don't like tackling very much!

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Good old Frothfield, loves to print stuff about the dogs, I suppose more people read that then articles about the sharks.

I don't rate Griffin at all these days, let's just see how Dufty goes next year.

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you’re relying on your fullback yo be a good tackler the teams got bigger problems however I hope he does play the way Barrett wants him to because the team played the exact same style of previous seasons last year

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Your Fullback shouldn’t need to make many tackles. I like how he says he doesn’t sit back and if he sees a chance he’ll take it. Hope he has a big year for us.
Have to agree, all new recruits will have a BIG year for us.!! Dufty spoke very positively about our club and being here. These are the kind of players Weber been looking for and needing for a LONG time..!!

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Dufty will surprise a lot of people. He comes here with similar credentials as Rod Silva and Luke Patten.
They were both unwanted by their respective teams.
I think they both went pretty good for the Dogs.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
“I think the one-year deal was the best for both parties,” Dufty said.
“It gives them a good look at me and for me it gives me that incentive because I am playing for my future. “Obviously it would be great if the Doggies want to keep me around. Anyway, I will have those options if I train hard and play good footy.”
More of this kind of thing.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know defense is important but let’s remember the problems we’ve had the last 3 years scoring points,some of the league’s leading point scorers have gone close to scoring more than our team,dufty is a great attacking option for us,and should be used accordingly.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Why are people talking about tackling trying to excuse him? Look at him trying to defuse bombs and grubbers LOL. Defence is more than just tackling and he has been by far the worst defensive fullback in the league for years. Hopefully he turns it around but the club better have another option or two up their sleeve.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can pap tackle ? Fullbacks don’t need to tackle much and isn’t a deciding factor, if Duf gets his positioning and defensive line sorted we have a quality player on our hands
Exactly this.

It’s not defending/tackling that is his biggest weakness. It’s his positional play that needs to be worked on. Mainly reading attacking options coming at him defending on our line.

He has an attacking instinct that we haven’t had for years. I am looking forward to seeing him in blue & white.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can pap tackle ? Fullbacks don’t need to tackle much and isn’t a deciding factor, if Duf gets his positioning and defensive line sorted we have a quality player on our hands
I hope he goes well too but he can't tackle nor can he attack like Pap.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ben Barba was a defensive machine. This guys got nothing