Images/Photos

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Been a few years, but it looks like the Kyoto Rail Museum.
That's an "Atlantic" wheel arrangement on the tank loco. NSW had similarly wheeled tank locos for suburban service - the M Class tanks. They were replaced by the ubiquitous, and more powerful, 30 Class tanks.

The last surviving M Class was used by a gravel company, which had sidings off the old Richmond-Kurrajong line. It was destroyed by a big flood in the 1950s.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
View attachment 31757
Skyline Drive-in, Bass Hill - 1959. I think from memory when I was a kid, I saw Jaws at this drive-in, and nearly jumped through the roof of the car when the shark suddenly appeared.
My son worked late at Bass Hill shopping centre when he was earning a bit of money after school.
I'd drive up to the top level parking area to wait for him to finish work. There was an uncluttered view of the drive in screen from up there; and I could pick up the sound on my car radio. Free movies!

The Drive In I mainly used in my younger days was the Chullora Twin Drive In. It's now a big shopping complex.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
The mining licence application for the Bylong Valley between Mudgee and Denman was recently rejected.
How did that rock get there, fuck knows?
A couple of ways. If there was glaciation in the past- and Australia was further south in the Jurassic/Cretaceous - and volcanic activity.

Glaciers move slowly, and drag everything with them, including large rocks. When they melt, they leave the rocks behind. They can also carry them out in huge icebergs, which melt and release the rocks onto the ocean floor. The rocks come to the surface when the ancient seas recede. The term is called "drop stones".

The other way is that there were lots of rocks thrown out by volcanic eruptions, and the softer ejects have weathered away, leaving the harder parts as orphans.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Actually, a "sputnik" car. These were the first regular automatic door trains in Sydney- apart from an experimental Flemington based set.

They were the first to have target plates that didn't refer to a depot. All Sydney suburban trains had target plates with an initial, then the set number.

H = Hornsby
M = Mortdale
F= Flemington
B= Punchbowl (Bankstown)

S 3a - means "S" set number three, four car set. It's partner in an eight car set would be S 3b.