Opinion Was Shifty our best ever 7? If not who was better??

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Woefully inconsistent, spectacularly over-rated.

Title of this thread is an insult to most before and since him.
Shifty was not overrated in 2002-2004... I truly think only A. Johns was a better halfback in the comp at that time... but he did become very inconsistent after that and barely saw out his 5 year deal with us

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Turvey by a country mile. His off the mark speed & cover defence were great to watch. Loved Craig Polla Mounter too. Ewan McGrady was a great attacker but his defense was woeful. Thought shifty was a quality half but he had some off field issues that impacted on his performances for a couple of seasons. Other than that he had a great career with us.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
it was more like 3 seasons and McGrady was a great footballer, a natural... so much so, he played plenty of fullback as well as halfback... and then he just left... what could have been
Yeah but he really only had that one great season. I lived in walking distance to Belmore then, so saw a lot of matches around those years.

Bulldog wazza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
My best 7 will always to date be Turvey.
In the next generation its being noted Polla mounter but Baa played 6 and 7 so he comes in for mine above Shifty. If we are talking Greats to wear the Blue and White then I am nominating JT as he is clearly the best new era half regardless if it was after he left us. The fact is his accomplishments are well above even Andrew Johns now in my opinion.
So I have in order

1. STEVE MORTIMER
2. TERRY LAMB
3. JONATHAN THURSTON
4. BRENT SHERWIN
5. CRAIG POLLA MOUNTER
6. TRENT HODKINSON

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
My best 7 will always to date be Turvey.
In the next generation its being noted Polla mounter but Baa played 6 and 7 so he comes in for mine above Shifty. If we are talking Greats to wear the Blue and White then I am nominating JT as he is clearly the best new era half regardless if it was after he left us. The fact is his accomplishments are well above even Andrew Johns now in my opinion.
So I have in order

1. STEVE MORTIMER
2. TERRY LAMB
3. JONATHAN THURSTON
4. BRENT SHERWIN
5. CRAIG POLLA MOUNTER
6. TRENT HODKINSON
How can you count Thurston in that list. He barely did anything while he was here. I seriously can't count anything not done in the blue and white. Really devalues those who remained loyal to the club.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The immortal
Steve Turvey Mortimer

It took me years to get used to football without him after his retirement !!!
He was PURE MAGIC ran rings against every team every halfback in the game including Sterling !
He is one in a life time talent...I still miss him know !!! :cry:

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
By a country mile in the modern era. I wasn't born during the Mortimer era.

At his best Sherwin was absolutely amazing, it's a huge pity that after 2004 he never really reached those heights again. We show glimpses but it was never that crazy good

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
after the Hunter Mariners wound up in 1998, Kimmorley was told that he would have to move to us but he forced a move to the Storm instead... on the one hand, what would we have achieved from 1998 onwards with Noddy as our halfback... then again, he didn't want to sign with us, so who cares