Opinion Was Shifty our best ever 7? If not who was better??

Jam

Scanlens Gum
Reaction score

Needs to be in the Top 5.
Mortimer #1 easily
Followed by
Pickup
Polly
Sherwin
(Not going to include Lamb who played a lot of 7 because his best position was 6)
McGrady had a standout season and if he played longer would be there.
Our recent halves are embarrassing when you compare to these players

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Steve Mortimer.

But, I watched some old games earlier in the year, featuring Shifty. It's easy to forget how damn good he was. Watching again after all these years, I was struck at how awesome he was and how much he controlled a game. Probably underrated by many, and may never have got the full kudos he deserved at the time.
Shifty was definitely underrated. He was unconventional, and he hit first grade not long before Braith Anasta came along from Souffs, after touring with Australia as an 18 year old and being hyped as the next big thing. Shifty was very much in his shadow, it could be fair to say that Shifty was as underrated as Anasta was overrated. I know for certain which of those two I'd have in halves if I had to choose.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
it was more like 3 seasons and McGrady was a great footballer, a natural... so much so, he played plenty of fullback as well as halfback... and then he just left... what could have been
McGrady is a case in point of someone who is an insanely good footballer, but couldn't manage all the other stuff that comes with being a professional. He loved to play, and was very good at it, pretty sure he was still playing park footy into his 50s (or it might have been touch). But the whole limelight of playing first grade wasn't for him, he was probably smart to get out when he did, his form had dipped but he also recognised that he was going to struggle with the whole first grade thing and didn't need the extra stuff to enjoy his life. Probably is what Ben Barba should have done...

It takes more than being insanely talented to forge a long successful career at the top level...

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Turvey,........... daylight and then Polly, Sherwin, Pickup. Steve Mortimer is our greatest player and up there with the best 7's that played the game.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Was Braith Anasta our best 5/8th ever? If not, then who?
Baa. But Gary Hughes was very under rated. Could put a player through a hole with a beautiful pass.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
after the Hunter Mariners wound up in 1998, Kimmorley was told that he would have to move to us but he forced a move to the Storm instead... on the one hand, what would we have achieved from 1998 onwards with Noddy as our halfback... then again, he didn't want to sign with us, so who cares
It was Scott Hill who was comign to the Dogs. News Ltd forced him to Melb.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
As great as Shifty was….Thurston would’ve got us at least two more premierships since 2004

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Turvey,........... daylight and then Polly, Sherwin, Pickup. Steve Mortimer is our greatest player and up there with the best 7's that played the game.
I've seen all the great halves since the 70's... Johns, JT, Sterlo, Langer, Stuart, Cronk....I'll take Turvey over any of them. His record at club level is clearly superior and he scored incredible solo tries and saved countless others that the other great halves can only dream of.