News Brandon Smith breaks silence on Melbourne Storm future

Weak Gutted Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When asked a question about his future three days before a major semi.
What’s he supposed to say?
It reads like he handled it well and took the air out of the story. Still saying great things about his current team and not de-railing their season.
If anything it makes me more confident. He referred to barret meeting and implied his manager is handling numbers and he wants to tell his team mates after season.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Footy players like being successful. That's why he is staying at the Storm.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Find it hard to believe that he'd stay in Melbourne to play lock/Hooker if a club offered him a 4 year 700-800k deal.

I think its all BS and he will sign with Tits or the new Brisbane team.....
He'll get close to that in a new Storm contract. It'll take 7 figures to make him budge, and that will result in him becoming another Fifita, Hunt, Milf, Taylor et al...no chance of performing well enough to justify his pay packet.

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If STROM win the comp he won’t leave he will go for the 3peat, who wouldn’t ?

if he does leave the Storm, ROOSTERS are The favourites

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Melbourne have cap problems in 2023 unless they off load some players on $big, which means quality players;
NAS - $700k (off contract 2024)
JBromwich - $650k (off contract 2023)
Hughes $700k (off contract 2025)
Kaufusi $650k (off contract 2023)
Munster - $1m (off contract 2024)
Welch - $500k (off contract 2023)
Papenhuyzen - $700k (off contract 2026)
That's $4.9m then add in Grant and BSmith at minimum $600k each for 2023. Total $6.1m on 9 players, leaving $3.6m for 21 players at an average of $170k each (noting that the NRL minimum is $130k next season). Even for Melbourne that's an impossible ask as they have added Coates and Meaney who are on a fair bit more than the minimum, and especially if they want to retain players off contract like Olam, Kamikamika and Lumelume.

They have already offloaded JAC, Hynes and Finucane to be Cap compliant for 2022. If they want to keep both Grant and BSmith for 2023 they are going to have to offload a couple of the $big players for 2023. Most likely those off contract, JBromwich, Kaufusi and Welch. The trick is then replacing them with players on the NRL minimum $130k and getting the same value out of them as the 3 offloaded. That's why holding on to Bellamy for a guaranteed one more year as coach was worth the $huge they offered him.

Come 1st November things are going to get interesting down south.

Always a Bulldog

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a feeling hes just saying the right things leading into a gf his manager was vocal about the possibility about storm possibility playing grant at 9 in future i have a feeling its not all over with us and possibly us and his manager could be lining something us ,jac would be in his ear bigtime,he knows 9 is his with us and weve recruited well will be interesting what happens after the gf and nov 1

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I’ve been linked with the Titans, the Tigers and the Bulldogs ... geez, they are all going great at the moment.
I think cheese has copped a few heads knocks recently. The Titans made the finals didn't they? They also came within a whisker of beating the Roosters.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Melbourne hooker Brandon Smith has hit out at speculation he is poised to quit the NRL premiers to join the Bulldogs or Titans, admitting it will be “virtually impossible” for him to walk out on the Storm.
Smith has set the record straight on persistent rumours he has held talks with Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett and wants out of Melbourne in the build-up to the Storm‘s preliminary final against Penrith on Saturday night at Suncorp Stadium.

Smith, off-contract at the end of next season, can field formal offers from November 1 and the tackle-busting rake has been consistently linked to a big-money defection to either Canterbury or the Gold Coast Titans.

Smith was buffeted by suggestions he was set to follow teammate Josh Addo-Carr to Belmore next season after Bulldogs coach Barrett reportedly flew to Melbourne in May for talks with the Storm duo.

Mindful of the poaching threat, the Storm have reacted, tabling a lucrative three-year extension to keep Smith in Melbourne until the end of 2025.

There is a view the Storm will struggle to retain Smith under the salary cap due to their galaxy of highly-paid stars, but the New Zealand Test hooker has given the strongest indication yet he will stay loyal to Melbourne.

“To be honest, it’s going to be virtually impossible to say no to the Storm,” Smith said.

“I say that because of what they have done for me as a player and a person.

I’ve been linked with the Titans, the Tigers and the Bulldogs ... geez, they are all going great at the moment.

“I want to sort my future out sooner rather than later. I want it done sometime during the pre-season, but before I sign anything, I want to be able to address the Storm if I am leaving.

“My preference is to stay here.

“I guess any club is any hope, but it’s just whether I can bring myself to leave the Storm and to be fair, it’s hard to see me doing that.”

Smith could stand to earn more at a rival club, but the Storm, by virtue of their unrivalled success, have a history of retaining their big guns at a reduced salary.

Earlier this season, off-contract Storm halfback Jahrome Hughes knocked back a $2.5 million, three-year package from the Warriors to chase more premiership rings at Melbourne.

The struggling Bulldogs have cash to spend and would relish adding Smith to their roster rebuild, but the Storm rake hosed down suggestions he is bound for Belmore.

“I spoke to Trent Barrett when he was in Melbourne, but there were no serious talks,” he said.

“Joshy (Addo-Carr) was at a cafe with Trent and then I came and spoke to them.

“It wasn’t about contracts. He was obviously interested but I haven’t talked numbers with the Bulldogs or any team.

I have put everything aside and come November 1, when I can get formal offers, there will be a lot of discussions between me and my manager.

“That’s irrelevant now when I’m trying to win a premiership. I’m not available until 2023 and I have been trying to stay out of the papers talking about my future.”

Melbourne football-operations boss Frank Ponissi remains confident Smith will continue his career at the Storm.

“What‘s annoying Brandon more than anything else is the constant speculation,” he said.

“He is happy at the club and he is focused purely on winning a grand final in the next two weeks.

“I don‘t know why there has been so much focus on Brandon’s contract.

“We have not given Brandon permission to talk to rival clubs.

“We‘re having discussions in the background, Brandon has stuck to his word and said he will worry about a new deal in the pre-season.”
He was reported saying...
I have been linked with the Titans the Tigers and the Bulldogs...Geez they are going great at the moment ?
If that is true he can rot in the Yarra river for the disrespect as far as I am concerned !!!
I don't want to analyse everything that's been said in the report...
One question I ask, if it's just rumours why hasn't he resigned with Melbourne yet ?
Is he waiting for the BROWN BAGS ???
At some stage, if he was to leave Melbourne it would have been to us but Gus has arrived, since he has signed 2 young hookers in Cook and Ambrosyev...We aren't sitting on our hands waiting !!!
I believe halfback is our priority now !!!

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a gut feeling he will stay with the Storm, he's a player that the Storm won't let go, they'll find the extra cash he will be wanting.

Malla

Reaction score
He wants to stay, but the money that will be offered to him when clubs can officially make offers from Nov 1 this year - will be hard for him to say no. His manager wants him out. Honestly, it's honorable from Smith that he wants to stay loyal to Storm, but he can make at least 1.5mil more in his next contract alone. He has already won multiple comps. He has nothing more to achieve. He should take the money elsewhere.

As far as we go, I hope we steer clear from him. Would be a great signing on paper but I do not want someone like him who clearly still wants to be at Storm to play for us. Heart is not in it.

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
Great so we can stop talking about the **** now… lol

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
This says all you need to know about Smith. No need to kick the club when it is down. Pretty classless.

Why anyone would want to pay massive overs for this overrated clown who publicly disrespects the club and has to ask for time off from his playing duties because he is "feeling frustrated" is beyond me.

We need to build for the future, not throw too much money at some blockhead who doesn't want to be here.

Weak Gutted Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a feeling hes just saying the right things leading into a gf his manager was vocal about the possibility about storm possibility playing grant at 9 in future i have a feeling its not all over with us and possibly us and his manager could be lining something us ,jac would be in his ear bigtime,he knows 9 is his with us and weve recruited well will be interesting what happens after the gf and nov 1
This x 1000

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
This article reads to me as though he wants Storm to up their offer, the pressure is clearly on them to come close enough to any offers that are tabled on Nov 1.

We have quite a few off contract at the end of 2022. No reason to believe we aren't about to offer a decent sized contract to him for 2023.
He publicly took a dig at our club and people still want this flog at our club?

Gus has publicly stated on many occasions his priority is to build for the future and focus on development. No way he will be offering this clown the type of money he would be asking for.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He publicly took a dig at our club and people still want this flog at our club?

Gus has publicly stated on many occasions his priority is to build for the future and focus on development. No way he will be offering this clown the type of money he would be asking for.
Gus is an example of someone who has taken many public digs at our club. Yet look where he is now. Not as if BSmith was incorrect either. IF he does end up in blue and white, it'll be because he wants to be here. It will also show he is a smart operator, able to deflect without using blatant deception.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This says all you need to know about Smith. No need to kick the club when it is down. Pretty classless.

Why anyone would want to pay massive overs for this overrated clown who publicly disrespects the club and has to ask for time off from his playing duties because he is "feeling frustrated" is beyond me.

We need to build for the future, not throw too much money at some blockhead who doesn't want to be here.
That quote from Smith was not very diplomatic at all. Those 3 clubs are the closest to offer what he's worth. If they withdraw their interest, then he might have shot himself in the foot.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Gus is an example of someone who has taken many public digs at our club. Yet look where he is now. Not as if BSmith was incorrect either. IF he does end up in blue and white, it'll be because he wants to be here. It will also show he is a smart operator, able to deflect without using blatant deception.
The big difference was Gus was and still is a commentator, columnist and analyst who was and is paid to share his opinions on all things footy related. Smith is just a clown taking pot shots at our club for no good reason. There is a huge difference between telling hard truths and just needlessly having a dig.

Those are not the type of comments I want to see from an incoming player. Smith is a flog.....and he's not worth 700-800k anyway. Time to move on.