News Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett laments 2021 but insists Canterbury are on right track

Birddog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Gift of the gab doesn't make a the man a 1st grade coach, have no faith in him whatsoever, I'm prepared to eat humble pie but while Barret is hair the only think he will improve is hair styles.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
A few saying Hodgson washed up but could we get 2 seasons out of him for leadership and direction? He could offer that assistance Burto will need and then BBO can do 7?
If Hodgson became available and Gus could somehow make it happen I think Hodgson would be ideal

We definitely need, at a minimum, an experienced 7 or 9

When Hodgson was at his best a couple of years ago at the Raiders he was calling the shots and was the "main man". That's exactly what we need and like you say we could start BBO at 7 if we don't get an experienced 7

I know we have signed young Cook but he is an unknown at this stage and we don't want to be reliant on him, or JMK for that matter

I'd go as far as giving Hodgson the captaincy and let him control the team

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Hodgson as a 1 year stop gap (obviously if he performs can extend him, same as Dufty and Vaughan) or no thank you. On face value we need someone better/younger.

Reactions: ATT

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
THE PLEDGE
Barrett has a message for his club’s despondent fans.
We will be doing everything in our power to make sure we climb the ladder,” he said. “That’s what we’re here for. We have as much pride in the jersey and the club as anyone.
No shit Sherlock, we finished last, it’s not like we can drop down the ladder with your astute coaching, you already achieved that with your poor coaching and team selections .

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No shit Sherlock, we finished last, it’s not like we can drop down the ladder with your astute coaching, you already achieved that with your poor coaching and team selections .
I have zero confidence in him taking us forward
The only positive I see from Barrett is that he can attract a player

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I have zero confidence in him taking us forward
The only positive I see from Barrett is that he can attract a player
His Panthers tenure is a positive for us because without it the guy only knows to attracts flies to shit type players …see Flanagan, Allan, Hetherington and co.
He’s rubbish, he was rubbish at Manly and he was rubbish for us this season. terrible team selections .

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big plus for Barrett was the team giving their utmost pretty much every week. The team is historically devoid of talent. I can't think of a worse squad in my fifty odd years of watching footy. How many of this current team will be starters in 23 ? Thompson ? Jackson ?? BBO ???

Fans complain about selections, Antoni should play, Ogden should start, Averillo should be fullback. Really !!!! . Pure opinions based on very limited knowledge.

Factor in the disgraceful, biased refereeing to the lack of talent, and we were getting the spoon no matter who the coach was.

To state the obvious, next year is huge for Barrett.

Kiwipup

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Trent has had Steve Hansen by his side this year, (as a mentor), and it has done nothing.

He now has Gus by his side

Two of the best masterminds in Rugby.

If Trent fails again next year, not only is it bye bye as an NRL head coach, but he can say goodbye as an assistant as well

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well he’s certainly spoken very well I still have faith in Barrett to lead us back to a good position or at least do a Nathan brown and get us into a spot to where a new regime can build off of because make no mistake that’s exactly the position Barrett has been put in as hard as it is gotta keep believing that the club is on the up go dogs.

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone honestly believe that we will be as bad as we have been this year next season?
I mean surely there’s no chance we’re this bad there’s too much talent coming. Having said that I thought we’d be better this year and somehow we got worse and I can’t remember the last signing that really panned out for us probably since Curtis rona or CHN for a year all we can do is hope

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Our record this year 6 losses; 1 win; 5 losses&bye; 1 win; 10 losses......
We need to be headed in the right direction because even though not listed here in the table for worst losing streaks are up to ten now and if we lose today will be on par with the Warriors of 2013/2016......

Broncos on verge of worst losing streaks in premiership history
Author Todd Balym Thu 25 Mar 2021, 07:39 PM

1630817393458.png

2020 was marginally better with twenty rounds gaining 4 wins overall.... 3 losses; 1 win; 6 losses;1 win;3 losses; 1 win; 3 losses; 1 win; 1 loss

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
But will he actually learn from the mistakes or will Gus be forced to make some hard decisions instead?

Spare us all the salesman spiel.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Trent Barrett laments 2021 says he doesn't know what went wrong
Starts Napa in last round after dropping him

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I still have faith in Baz , he gets my full support going into 22, up to him to break the faith, if he does then others were correct, but until then he’s got this.!!

battered sav

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to Barrett shutting up the haters next season. Watching the dogs win games will be just slightly better than seeing the haters go quiet. This is not a false dawn the dogs are on the up.