News Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett laments 2021 but insists Canterbury are on right track

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As the Bulldogs bring down the curtain on the club’s most lamentable season since 1964, coach Trent Barrett has opened up on how Canterbury will turn their fortunes around in 2022.

Dean Ritchie

Canterbury coach Trent Barrett has spoken of the “pain and pressure” at being stranded in the club’s worst “hole” in 57 years.
In a revealing interview to end what could be the Bulldogs’ most lamentable season since 1964, Barrett admitted: “It was never going to be a quick fix and it was never going to be an easy fix. Results certainly aren’t pointed that way but we’re on the right track.
“We will be doing everything in our power to make sure we climb the ladder. That’s our commitment. Things will turn around, things will get better.”

Canterbury has won just two games this season and face Wests Tigers on Sunday. A loss would ensure the club’s most dire season since the ’64 Dogs, who won just one game.
But having recruited well, Canterbury head into 2022 full of hope – albeit aware the club will be under excruciating pressure to succeed.

THE PLEDGE
Barrett has a message for his club’s despondent fans.
“We will be doing everything in our power to make sure we climb the ladder,” he said. “That’s what we’re here for. We have as much pride in the jersey and the club as anyone.
“That’s our commitment. We will do everything we can to get ourselves out of the position we’re in. It’s not just the players and coaching staff that are working hard, it’s everyone. It’s a team effort.
“We are putting all the right things in place. We just have to stick together, stick to the plan. We have to keep working hard and things will turn around, things will get better.”

THE COACH
Barrett watched 21 losses this season as the Bulldogs claimed the wooden spoon.
“Coaching is an everyday thing. We all have long-term plans and we all want to win grand finals one day,” Barrett said. “There is a hell of a process you need to go through and a fair bit of pain to get through, in our case, to be able to put yourself in that position.
“It’s one day at a time. If we prepare, train, review and educate consistently over the seven weeks into Christmas and then consistently every day for another seven weeks after Christmas, we will put ourselves in a position to play well.
“Results certainly aren’t pointed that way but we’re on the right track.”

THE STRUGGLES
How did Barrett manage to stay upbeat throughout such a lean season?
“That’s part and parcel of being a good leader,” he said. “You front up and show them the way out of it. That’s really important.
“I’m upbeat with everything we do and I have tried to be level-headed with it all and focus on what my job is. I can only look after what I can control. I can’t control the other s--t that happens and I won’t be bothered by it.
“Whilst you have to point out what we’re doing wrong, and we don’t miss them in that regard, we are dealing with a lot of young players as well who make mistakes and unfortunately they make their mistakes on the big stage.
“We had six (Jersey) Flegg guys playing on the weekend who are learning on the job. They have had very little footy over the past two years and they haven’t got the grounding that we would have liked through circumstances.
“They have been thrust into first grade probably 18 months to two years before they would have or should have. But that will set us up.”

THE MAN
“I’m a realist. I’ve been okay, it’s part of the job. We just have to hang in there during these tough periods and hopefully we will get rewarded in the next few years,” he said.
“We all like to win – that’s why we do this. But you have to put things into perspective as well. You always take losses harder in games you think you could have won. Games where we beat ourselves through unforced errors, lack of discipline or lack of game management. They’re the ones you take the hardest.
“But it’s not about me – it’s about helping the players and making sure we prepare, review and educate them properly.
“I know we prepare the players as best we can and we look for things that we did well and then review those and then the things we need to improve, not just for the short-term but long-term.
“The board and CEO (Aaron Warburton) have been really good giving me a lot of support, enabling us to plan for the future. We are all on the same page. Obviously they want to win as much as we do.”

THE SEASON
Asked how he found the 2021 season, Barrett said: “Long”.
“It’s been hard,” he said. “We had a lot of challenges, on and off the field. It’s been challenging for everyone.
“But in terms of the character we have shown, the willingness to stick together, even this late in the season, knowing there are a dozen guys that won’t be here next year, they are still trying really hard, they’re still playing for each other.
“That’s a good sign because I’d be worried if they weren’t.
“I’m really proud of how the team has hung in, every week. They keep fronting up and we will again this weekend against the Tigers.
“Watching our team, I don’t think you could say we haven’t competed, we haven’t been in most games that we’ve played. We certainly would have liked to have gotten more outcomes but this will make us more focused on what we need to do, looking forward to next year.
“It was only the Manly game seven or eight weeks ago (66-0) — after those Covid breaches and we had about 10 blokes missing — that was a touch-up. But outside of that, they have competed really hard.
“I still think there were a handful of games, four or five, we could have won had we managed things a little better. That’s disappointing.”

THE BRAND
Asked if the pride still existed in Canterbury’s famous jumper, Barrett said: “One hundred per cent. We’d be getting flogged every week if it wasn’t.
“That is what makes it such a great club. The club has been in a hole for a fair few years now. It was never going to be a quick fix and it was never going to be an easy fix. It’s a good club, it’s a tough club.
“Everyone at the club is involved for the right reasons. This is all about the club and getting it up to where we need to be.
“It’s a privilege to be here. Not only do I feel that but all the players do as well.”

THE FUTURE
The troops will shortly be riding into Belmore — Tevita Pangai Junior, Paul Vaughan, Matt Burton, Matt Dufty, Josh Addo-Carr and Brent Naden.
“There is pressure everywhere,” Barrett said. “The expectations will rise, that’s only natural. We have high expectations of ourselves. The expectation externally is probably not as high as the expectations we have of ourselves.

“That’s certainly not a concern for me, it’s not a concern for anyone at the club or on staff.
“We have recruited some good players but I still think we have a hell of a lot of work to do in the pre-season.
“The players that are coming in are going to help a lot, but the experience a lot of our younger guys have got this year, they probably played first grade prematurely. They now have a good dozen first-grade games under their belts.
“And we’d like some luck and good fortune along the way. That would help.”

THE FIXER
Newly minted Director of football Phil Gould now forms the club’s brains trust with Barrett.
“He will bring knowledge and experience,” Barrett said. “He brings a know-how in certain administration situations, how to handle media, how to handle a crisis.

The uncertain futures of NRL’s bad boys of 2021
“Gus has been around a hell of a long time. He’s a Bulldog, a premiership-winning coach and player here. He brings a lot — everyone knows what.”

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Talks the talk.

Still sounds slightly delusional to me tho and not tough enough to command the respect needed at a battling club to inspire and drag us up.

A huge job at this club no doubt and thank goodness we have the experience and clout of Gus to help.

Let's hope we see some good footy, and some players we can celebrate, when seeing their skills in scoring entertaining tries and bring the pride back in our team.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Baz certainly knows how to handle the media better than our previous coaches but I'm still unconvinced he can handle coaching a FG team week in, week out. The expectations will be much higher next season and he'll have no excuses not to get results.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Talks the talk.

Still sounds slightly delusional to me tho and not tough enough to command the respect needed at a battling club to inspire and drag us up.

A huge job at this club no doubt and thank goodness we have the experience and clout of Gus to help.

Let's hope we see some good footy, and some players we can celebrate, when seeing their skills in scoring entertaining tries and bring the pride back in our team.
Yep it’s still 50/50 for next year. A lot will depend on additional player movement in the off season.

I have been seriously underwhelmed by Baz this year but the fact that we have 12 players off contract for next year and only 2 of them have landed NRL deals says a fair bit about our roster and previous management.

I think a coach deserves to have the majority of the roster he has built before he is properly judged. McGuire at the tigers has had 3 years and they have gone backwards. It’s his roster now so he will probably be punted.

It’s pretty obvious he will be under huge pressure next year if we don’t make significant improvement

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I hope he uses the off season and trials wisely, pick who he thinks are the best 17 and sticks by them. The rubbish or changing the team every week this year and moving players all around doesn't help.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whether he likes it or not, next year will be make or break for Baz.

I'm not saying he needs to win the GF, or even make the top 8 for that matter.

But if he doesn't get the 22 team into a position to still be fighting for a top 8 birth leading into the final weeks of next season, then IMO he will be as good as goooooonnnnnneeeee!!!!

Especially if you base making the Top 8 this year is based on winning a measly 10 from 24 games.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Yep it’s still 50/50 for next year. A lot will depend on additional player movement in the off season.

I have been seriously underwhelmed by Baz this year but the fact that we have 12 players off contract for next year and only 2 of them have landed NRL deals says a fair bit about our roster and previous management.

I think a coach deserves to have the majority of the roster he has built before he is properly judged. McGuire at the tigers has had 3 years and they have gone backwards. It’s his roster now so he will probably be punted.

It’s pretty obvious he will be under huge pressure next year if we don’t make significant improvement
Agree. I just can't be too optimistic he will prove himself here even taking into consideration the average players.

If he showed some real ability in man management then maybe I could say he is on the right track. For me there's no evidence of that.

I don't blame him for the incident with Elliott on Valentine's Day, thats solely on Elliott, but we were in full on pre season training and one of his charges can not think its best not to over indulge or worry about his responsibility to the coach.

Then the 5 guys with the Bondi pub covid breach and then Elliott again. It speaks to me of ill discipline and lack of respect. Then he picks Napa after he "apparently" missed training with a hang over.

It's been out there about the drinking culture after training.

The selections have been crazy decisions at times and other game tactics don"t exactly inspire confidence in him. He has a long way to go cos we've seen nothing much so far.

It's just not professional enough for mine or set the bar high enough.

But I wish him well bc thats whats best for the Bulldogs.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree. I just can't be too optimistic he will prove himself here even taking into consideration the average players.

If he showed some real ability in man management then maybe I could say he is on the right track. For me there's no evidence of that.

I don't blame him for the incident with Elliott on Valentine's Day, thats solely on Elliott, but we were in full on pre season training and one of his charges can not think its best not to over indulge or worry about his responsibility to the coach.

Then the 5 guys with the Bondi pub covid breach and then Elliott again. It speaks to me of ill discipline and lack of respect. Then he picks Napa after he "apparently" missed training with a hang over.

It's been out there about the drinking culture after training.

The selections have been crazy decisions at times and other game tactics don"t exactly inspire confidence in him. He has a long way to go cos we've seen nothing much so far.

It's just not professional enough for mine or set the bar high enough.

But I wish him well bc thats whats best for the Bulldogs.
Yep that’s fair enough in relation to the misbehaving but Penrith had their fair share of dramas not long ago and they are flying now. I personally think it’s more to do with a lack of leadership in the playing group.

Unfortunately I don’t think that’s been solved for next year. That’s one of the reasons they need to punt Elliott. There needs to be consequences.

The thing about Baz is that he was of the few options out there who would take the job. Everyone wants a high profile coach but they get that high profile by taking jobs with good rosters. Once our roster is in better shape we will attract better candidates if Baz doesn’t aim up

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Yep that’s fair enough in relation to the misbehaving but Penrith had their fair share of dramas not long ago and they are flying now. I personally think it’s more to do with a lack of leadership in the playing group.

Unfortunately I don’t think that’s been solved for next year. That’s one of the reasons they need to punt Elliott. There needs to be consequences.

The thing about Baz is that he was of the few options out there who would take the job. Everyone wants a high profile coach but they get that high profile by taking jobs with good rosters. Once our roster is in better shape we will attract better candidates if Baz doesn’t aim up
Yes true.

We get down about our recent results and no longer being the power house, entertaining, respected club we once were, but do realise it's the end game objective and continual renewal and improvement that we should focus on.

Sometimes we just have to vent cos we have invested so much, in so many ways, or had so much family history, and good times based around the CB Bulldogs and its hard to see us failing.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
A few saying Hodgson washed up but could we get 2 seasons out of him for leadership and direction? He could offer that assistance Burto will need and then BBO can do 7?
Unless by some miracle Joshua Cook is a decent option we should really consider Hodgson. I think Ricky Stuart burns players out and a change of scenery could be just what he needs. They can have Elliott in return.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Unless by some miracle Joshua Cook is a decent option we should really consider Hodgson. I think Ricky Stuart burns players out and a change of scenery could be just what he needs. They can have Elliott in return.
We need leadership and mature direction. Cook could start off like a world beater but come back to the field later in the season. He can be 14 :grinning:

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He certainly says the right things and doesn't go against the clubs ethics. Didn't bag the players. It's totally up to him now as he has the resources in place to succeed. Let's see!

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What concerns me is ‘we’re building and sticking to the plan’ the only resemblance of a plan I’ve seen is an utter failure.
I wish he addressed the questions of his dud recruits and dud support staff. Would like to see Baz admit he made some royal mistakes because its glaringly obvious and I believe he should put some onus on himself. If he can’t see his blatant mistakes and address them he’s even worse than I imagined.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The talk has shifted from aiming to ‘make the finals’ to just aiming ‘to climb the ladder’ next year.
two very different things when the only way from dead last is up.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I hope he uses the off season and trials wisely, pick who he thinks are the best 17 and sticks by them. The rubbish or changing the team every week this year and moving players all around doesn't help.
It's definitely been an issue of Baz's this season and it wouldn't help the players or combinations being developed.. Hopefully next season the team picks itself each week with more players being automatic selections and we see less chopping and changing..

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What concerns me is ‘we’re building and sticking to the plan’ the only resemblance of a plan I’ve seen is an utter failure.
I wish he addressed the questions of his dud recruits and dud support staff. Would like to see Baz admit he made some royal mistakes because its glaringly obvious and I believe he should put some onus on himself. If he can’t see his blatant mistakes and address them he’s even worse than I imagined.
you are dreaming!
the support staff and the players are still employed by the club imagine he started bad mouthing them?

wake up to yourself!

Reactions: TAS

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Does anyone honestly believe that we will be as bad as we have been this year next season?