Shaun Johnson consolidated thread

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I have said before if there is an injury or suspension to one of our halves, the next guy to be given a go should be Lewis irrespective whether he is staying or going based purely on form alone

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
As I have said before if there is an injury or suspension to one of our halves, the next guy to be given a go should be Lewis irrespective whether he is staying or going based purely on form alone
Lewis isn't good enough but I still think he's the second best half at the club...

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Definitely has a go, shame he got ko'd and injured respectively in the 2 goes in FG, i was curious to see how he would have went.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Clay priest is the only player to hold a candle to Ben Czilowski. Great effort
I've recently watched some games in which he played, sadly I think he would be better than what we have today believe it or not.

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Definitely has a go, shame he got ko'd and injured respectively in the 2 goes in FG, i was curious to see how he would have went.
We’ve had 3 years to see what he’s got and he just ain’t good enough.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
How sad have our signing and resignings been for 2021 .
The five signings by Barrett have totally misfired and offered very little individually and collectively.
Cotric-underwhelming
Flano-Reserve grader
Waddell-weak as piss
Hetherington-too many penalties in him
Allan-underwhelming
Elliott resigning dud decision
Me thinks close two million Barrett just threw in the bin with these decisions.
Gee....why don't you tell us what you really think? To me...some of these had pretty good seasons last year...with Hetho a standout for Warriors and Allen doing well as stand in Souths fb and Cotric being selected in expanded NSW origin squad. So why have all these players been shyte with us ? Is it the players around them?, the coach and/or the coaching program?. We need to resolve this AND QUICKLY, otherwise we risk Burton, JAC and Naden being duds also next year.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It’s a good summary by Twin Turbo but I guess what the majority of Bulldogs fans are bamboozled by is why pay them so much in the first place? I get the reference and understand the numbers but if we were to simplify things and take away the back ended contract and paid everyone per annum I still don’t think our roster was even top eight, if so certainty not top four.

I am if the belief that Hasler over achieved with the squad he had during his tenure and our star player (Ben Barba) would of been on peanuts. Our other most influential players Ennis/Graham surely could not have taken more than 600k per season.

Then we go into the predicted line up of season 2018 even if we didn’t move any players on (Mbye, Klemmer, Woods) it was still a trash team on paper.

So again the concern, disbelief and pain arise from to exactly why we were over paying ok players in the first place? As stated before we didn’t have ONE Australian spine player (haven’t in a long time) maybe only Klemmer the only Australian player and then a wide variety of OK first grade players made to look better by Hasler having them play as a team.

Using this year as an example (let’s draw comparisons to back then as I just can’t remember the other fifteen clubs player’s at the moment)

We had nothing like Storm, Roosters, Souths, Manly, Eels or even the Knights in terms of a Star studded line up. To me we kinda looked as strong as this year’s Dragons, if that- but Hasler had us playing a style of footy that could win us more games than we loss (as boring as it was)

I guess to summarise, most think we should of been able to afford a STRONGER roster that was cap complaint. Not an average team that was using loop holes and back ended contracts to play together.
Remember when we bought Foran & Woods & Greenberg had to sign off on it to ensure we didn't breach the salary cap? Well I'd REALLY like to know how they convinced Greenberg that they would get under the cap. If he can explain it to me then great but otherwise I would think that Greenberg has some questions to answer as well.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Didn't you get your email?
Cheese
Johnson
Capewell
Marty
Kikau
Haas
All signed at 4pm :grinning:

Flanno
Hoppa
Waddle
Katoa
Napa
Allen
All resigned at 4pm :grinning:
Why do you do this to me? I was all set to give you a like for this then read the 2nd part & wanted to go back to angry. Maybe we need multiple options here!

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How sad have our signing and re-signings been for 2021 .
The five signings by Barrett have totally misfired and offered very little individually and collectively.
Cotric-underwhelming
Flano-Reserve grader
Waddell-weak as piss
Hetherington-too many penalties in him
Allan-underwhelming
Elliott resigning dud decision
Me thinks close two million Barrett just threw in the bin with these decisions.
You missed another one of Barrett's signings, though it's not surprising. What about Blake Green & how well did that one turn out?

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That’s a silly comment . It’s like me saying that I spin a good leg break but can’t hit the pitch with it. Avos kick is the same bomb to the same corner. He had more experience than Sam Walker manages to get his kicks right. Let’s face it Avo can run the ball but that’s about it .
How is that a silly comment? He has about 20 games of fg experience, and was being used all over the place in reserves before that. Same in fg in fact. He has finally been given the 7 jumper week in week out, and he is slowly finding his feet.
He doesn't just bomb to the corners. He has a decent cross field bomb, and against the dragons and Panthers he was kicking from near the right touch line, and finding the line on the right side, before the opposition winger could get to it.
But sure, you just go ahead and believe and say what you like.

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Gee....why don't you tell us what you really think? To me...some of these had pretty good seasons last year...with Hetho a standout for Warriors and Allen doing well as stand in Souths fb and Cotric being selected in expanded NSW origin squad. So why have all these players been shyte with us ? Is it the players around them?, the coach and/or the coaching program?. We need to resolve this AND QUICKLY, otherwise we risk Burton, JAC and Naden being duds also next year.
Spot on Dogtime. I've said it before. There is no point buying top shelf wingers if you've got the same inside players that aren't giving them quality ball. It goes across the park, all players have to play their part, if not you look like we do now.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We’ve had 3 years to see what he’s got and he just ain’t good enough.
NO worse than Wakeham, arguably better than Flanno hence the substitution that day.
Could get another game before he goes wouldn't be worse if he managed to play a full game.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have thought it’s a done deal by now. Warriors have signed 2 players and are lining up with them next week. What’s the go with delayed announcements or signatures. Linked to everyone snd signed no one. Doesn’t look to good atm

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Flanno is a better 7 than Avo. Case in point on the weekend were Avo had no game awareness that it’s last tackle inside his own 30 and throws a terrible pass that hits Napa’s head. Flannos passing and kicking game are reasonable. Your assessment is very harsh in those respects. I also agree that you need to be able to run the ball and I said this in my reply to your post. My point was that a half back needs to direct a team around the park as well as being able to run.
Go and watch the last 2 cup games featuring flano junior and then come back and rewrite this post Shane...