Shaun Johnson consolidated thread

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Guys, just relax a bit.

Dont Forget that players can request WHEN their signing is officially announced.

2 of my sources and a few other members on here all say the same thing.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
With back ended contracts it is very easy to critique the last year and ask "why did we pay so much"? We could just as easily look at the first year and say "wow, he was a bargain at that cost". We need to look at the whole contract duration and then average it out to judge whether a player was worth it or not. Personally I believe, over his contract period, to use my previous example, Eastwood was well and truly worth his average, but the back end value was ridiculous.

I just don't accept the claim that the teams from 2012 to 2016 inclusive were any less than quality, after all we made the Finals every year and the Grand Final twice. The difficulties started when too many of of those player were allowed to come to their back ended years all at once, forcing us to offload decent players, often paying other clubs to take them and recruit cheapies to stay under the Cap and have 30 players. We paid the price in 2017, when Hasler was still here, and 2018 for the back ended contract "sins" of 2012 to 2016. To stay under the Cap we let loose some good players, paid other clubs to take some players, didn't renew contracts that we should have renewed and signed cheapies to fill the 30 roster. Look at some of the players we lost between 2015 and 2017, Pritchard, Lafai, Thompson, Hodkinson, Rona, Finucane, SPerrett, Browne etc. Then look at the list of the players that we gained in the same time frame, Abbey, Kennar, Garvey, Mbye, Fine, Philips, Lee, Stanley etc.

Hindsight is marvelous, but we have to remember that multiple other teams had players with back ended contracts and at least one of them, Melbourne, had won premierships. It was easy to mount an argument to the Board that "they are doing it and winning, so we need to do it to keep up". Hasler had the runs on the Board, everyone knew that other teams were doing it and it wasn't against any NRL rules at the time.

Nothing in the above should be read as me saying that it was the right thing to do or that it was smart, it's what happened.

Always a Bulldog
Agree but we should have woken up when Manly started falling apart due to the salary cap & Des' management thereof. The signs were there but we didn't read them.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, just relax a bit.

Dont Forget that players can request WHEN their signing is officially announced.

2 of my sources and a few other members on here all say the same thing.
So what are you saying? It's a done deal or not?