News Rugby league legend Steve Mortimer reveals he is battling dementia

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Exactly, I was thinking this earlier, only thing I'd say in boxing hitting in the head is required, however in league they probably can (and should) do things to reduce RISK of concussion. They will never get rid of it completely and I think they have rushed the implementation of the new rules.
I would of thought when you sign a contract in the nrl, you understand the risk of these things happening

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I would of thought when you sign a contract in the nrl, you understand the risk of these things happening
I wonder if they put a clause in their contracts that you can't sue the nrlol if, God forbid, you develop problems down the track.

Reminds me when old NFL players that suicide by shooting themselves in the stomach so their brains can be researched.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Well I love defence and my style is to go up and in and hard to hurt and I have them 2 or 3 in a tackle max from now.

Any kid can score, what impresses me is when a kid hurts in defence and saves a try.

For example, my boy is know for his hard hits and lethal fend. I get not just Wenty coaches but opposition coaches coming up and asking is my boy the hitman? Lol

First touch of his first game for Wenty, we were playing Toongabbie Tigers and there was this massive Islander boy who looked like he was 30 (lol). We kicked off, of course it landed in his lap and he started to run back and aim at my boy and my dummy half (the 2 shortest players), Assassin Jnr lined him up with the PERFECT text book tackle under the ribs, jolted the ball out of his hands knocking it on when my Dummy Half picked up the ball for an easy try, 7 seconds into the game.

Fucking proud as punch! The Islander boy then moved to the wing and then got subbed off after the 1st quarter and didn't return the rest of the game.

PS just want to brag we are on top of the ladder half way through the season with a 6-1 record ;) and that 1 loss is when the dogs fluked their only win lol
Proud Dad. Just make sure he's over playing in our juniors when the times right :grinning:

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have to make a confession & I hope I don't get kicked out of the Kennel for this. Up until the age of 10, I was a Manly supporter. I was a Manly supporter because that's who 2 of my older brothers went for & before I really knew about the game. I also used to celebrate back yard tries like Bobby Fulton did by punching the air. Anyway, as I started to watch the game & get an idea of what it was about, it was the Hughes & Mortimer brothers that took my attention. So after Manly won the 1978 GF I decided that I didn't want to support them because I wanted to follow the club the the brothers played for. Turvey & co are the reason I am a Bulldogs supporter today & I will never change.

If the club are reading this what ever you do, make sure you sit down with Turvey & do an in depth at least hour long interview with him & get his story on film before he can't remember it any more. He is one of the most important players in our club's history & we need interviews like that from all our greats. Do it over a few days if you have to, but get it done.

Also, whilst Turvey took some whacks to the head, he knew what the game was about & gave a few away as well. One I remember well was the high tackle on Cronulla half back Mark Wakefield in 1986. Mortimer got 9 weeks for it & the legendary Jim Comans told him that "football would be a memory to him" if he came before the judiciary again.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I heard him on a radio interview a few weeks ago. He had his son on the other line to answer alot of the questions and I knew something was wrong. It broke my heart listening to him speak - all the best Turvey.
Turvey you are the greatest !!!
I have previously said this to his face and I will keep repeating it...
The MAGIC the BRILLIANCE the CHIP & CHASE he possessed was out of this world and that was in the days of the 5 meters defence rule...HE WAS AN EXCITEMENT MACHINE !!!
His cover defence was equal to none, people boast about that 2003 grand final try saving cover tackle but we never hear about his 3 try saving cover tackles in the 1980 grand final versing the Rorter...Yes 3 brilliant cover tackles.
HE IS AN IMMORTAL !!!
On a sad note getting king hit in the back of the head by none other than the glorified Tommy Raudonikis might have had an impact on his current condition.
All that we can do is pray for his better health
Best wishes Turvey...We love you mate !!!

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Hope you get well soon Turvs.

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Also, whilst Turvey took some whacks to the head, he knew what the game was about & gave a few away as well. One I remember well was the high tackle on Cronulla half back Mark Wakefield in 1986. Mortimer got 9 weeks for it & the legendary Jim Comans told him that "football would be a memory to him" if he came before the judiciary again.
I remember reading about that tackle. Mark Wakefield was out for 12 weeks.

MariaZ

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Headers in soccer are apparently very dangerous over time. Like getting kicked in the head.
I don’t understand why it is not mandatory that players wear headguards. Good on Thurston and Burton for wearing them!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I don’t understand why it is not mandatory that players wear headguards. Good on Thurston and Burton for wearing them!
"apparently" they don't protect from heavy impact like that? I'm not sure but read that.

But they'd give protection from cuts, bruises, cauliflower ears and more protection from knocks than wearing no head protection.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Full respect to Turvs, especially coming forward at this time when players are attacking Vlandys for cracking down on high shots.

Getting sent off the field for an accidental high shot is bad. Suffering dementia or other brain injury due to concussions is much, much worse.

If it can happen to one of the greatest of the game, it can happen to anyone.
AFL has strict rules about tackling, and it hasn't ruined the game as a spectacle. It just takes a bit of re-learning to stop the high tackles.
It might even bring younger players, with parents worried about head injuries, back to the game.

MariaZ

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
"apparently" they don't protect from heavy impact like that? I'm not sure but read that.

But they'd give protection from cuts, bruises, cauliflower ears and more protection from knocks than wearing no head protection.
Oh ok did not know that, but some protection is better than no protection... (and I am talking about headguards) .. lol

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I thought the same as well, but headgears are only to protect you from cuts, abrasions and bruising. It doesn’t stop concussions. High impact knocks cause the brain to bounce around in your head leading to long term problems. Whether you wear a headgear or not it doesn’t make a difference. Just ask the NFL.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score

True. The sudden impact still sends the brain bouncing around inside the skull.

Gridiron style helmets might be the only solution, but I'd hate to see us go that far.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Saw Turvey play, and he was a legend. He was playing the same time as Peter Sterling; and Sterling was the darling of the media at the time, with his golden locks (now gone) - Turvey was always second fiddle to him. The combination of Turvey and Greg Brentnall was one of our best.

Hope Turvs can stay safe, and not go the way of some friends and family who suffered badly from the infliction.