News Rugby league legend Steve Mortimer reveals he is battling dementia

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Steve “Turvey” Mortimer hates even saying the word. And you can tell by the tone in his voice that he struggles to go into deep detail about the condition he has been privately and bravely battling for some years now.

But today, the former champion Canterbury halfback and NSW Origin captain has agreed to open up about his secret battle for the first time publicly in hope that it just might knock some common sense into all those people criticising ARLC chairman Peter V’landys for implementing the NRL’s tough new crackdown on illegal high tackles.

“Well, Paul, I have got to tell you it is official that I have dementia,” an emotional Mortimer, 64, said.

“In other words, I have lost a bit of my brain.”

Asked how long he had been aware of his condition, Mortimer continued: “Seriously, I was told about March.

“Mate, I think it has a lot to do with … look it doesn’t matter.”

But asked again if it has a lot to do with the knocks he suffered during his playing days, “Turvey” continued: “Absolutely. Absolutely.”

And Mortimer revealed that is why he called V’landys on Monday morning after reading reports that some senior players were leading a revolt against the governing body in protest to how the NRL has implemented this crackdown.

The NRL introduced its hardline stance three rounds ago, leading to a host of players being sent off, sin-binned and suspended.

V’landys is adamant the NRL won’t back down, saying concussion is the “most important issue the game has ever faced’’.

While many fans and stars are unhappy, V’landys has Mortimer’s full support.

“I said, ‘you have just got to forget all these people who are against you’,” Mortimer said of his conversation with V’landys on Monday.

“And these blokes who want to stick it up Peter V’landys or whatever have got no bloody idea.”

Mortimer was reluctant to talk too specifically about how dementia had affected his life but conceded: “I think I might have had it for a number of years but we won’t go into that.

“I had to accept it.”

He said his family, including his footballing brothers Peter, Chris and Glen were all aware of his condition.

Mortimer was one of the most breathtaking and brilliant players of his era in the late 1970s and ‘80s, who was as famous for his chip-and-chase tries as his courageous cover tackles.

In all, he played 272 games for Canterbury as well as nine Test for Australia and 16 matches for NSW, which included captaining the Blues to that historic first-ever State of Origin series victory on that famous rain-soaked night at the SCG in 1985.

The picture of Mortimer being chaired off the ground by his teammates became one of Origin’s most iconic images.

During our conversation “Turvey” loved retelling the stories of his early days when he first arrived at the then Berries from his home town of Wagga Wagga.

Back then, he said, the late great Bobby Fulton was his hero and the tough-as-nails Tommy Raudonikis his greatest tormentor, but also a friend.

“I always got on well with him,” he said of the loveable rogue that was Raudonikis, “but my absolute hero was Bobby Fulton.

“And I used to try and follow him with little chip overs and grubbers through or whatever.”

Asked if he could remember any specific concussions he suffered during his career, he continued: “I remember three key ones.”

One involved a play in which Mortimer got his head in the wrong place trying to bring down rampaging Parramatta star Eric Grothe.

That may well have been in the 1984 semi final when “Turvey” produced a memorable cover tackle to knock the blockbusting Eels winger into the corner post to save a certain try.

While there was nothing illegal about it, it was the type of tackle that these days would have resulted in Mortimer leaving the field for a head injury assessment.

But back then they just dusted themselves off and played on to the cheers of the crowd.

Though there was no animosity coming from Mortimer about those tackles or the game in general, because what was most obvious was his love for rugby league is as strong now as it ever was - and that is the only reason why he is talking about his dementia now.

Not to win any sympathy, but just give an understanding of why the game is doing the right thing by trying to limit unnecessary concussion injuries.

A small sacrifice for a long term benefit.

Because “Turvey” wants future generations to enjoy the sport that he has loved his entire life, even though it has ultimately taken a toll on his health.

Asked if he was going okay, he offered: “I believe I am. No one wants me to be a commentator now and that is all.

“I respect that.

“I am fine.

“But I do have part of my brain that has died from playing the game of rugby league.”

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The greatest Bulldog of all time for mine. Hopefully he can get the best treatment possible and be comfortable living with the condition. I have had family members suffer dementia and it’s a awful thing.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Full respect to Turvs, especially coming forward at this time when players are attacking Vlandys for cracking down on high shots.

Getting sent off the field for an accidental high shot is bad. Suffering dementia or other brain injury due to concussions is much, much worse.

If it can happen to one of the greatest of the game, it can happen to anyone.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was with a heavy heart when I read this article.
I converted to a Dogs fan in the 70's when I saw Turvey run rings around the opposition. Will always be the best player I've ever seen. No one before or since Turvey can do what he did on the field - blinding acceleration to regularly score tries/break the line from dummy half, chip and regather, best cover tackler of all time, great passing and kicking game. Absolute match winner, incomparable leader and won 4 GF - a bulldogs record and far superior GF record to many great HB including "immortal" Johns, "future immortal" Thurston, Stuart etc.
As bad as our side has been for nearly a decade imagine being a dogs supporter from 1943 to the late 1970's where they didn't win a GF. We won half of our 8 GF during Turvey's 13 years because of this great man. My prayers are with you Steve Mortimer - the real immortal of rugby league.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Puts alot of things into perspective, as much as rugby league looks different now it's for the best. Vlandys is doing a preety job in my opinion.
I partly disagree, while I think we'll thought out measures should be put on place to reduce the risk of concussion, I think Vlan has rushed this with out the proper process to support it.

First they say any contact with the head is 10 in the bin - that's fine - but it's not consistent- and if it was you'd see some teams down to 9 or 10 players.

Secondly they say they will adjudicate on the run and the vid ref will notify of head contact with a delayed penalty- that's fine - but again it's not consistent.

Third they now have players milking penalties like all get out.

4th they have a judiciary that doesn't know if it's coming or going with gradings, which will eventually allow all players off due to precedent.

There has been no foresight when implementing this which has resulted in poor structure supporting it.

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man this really sucks. Sad to hear this news even though there was the rumours on here about Turvey battling dementia a while ago I was hoping it was just that rumours.

Wishing you nothing but the best old mate. easily one of the finest to ever don our beloved colours, thank you for sacrificing so much for this great club[emoji190] #proudtobeabulldog

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was with a heavy heart when I read this article.
I converted to a Dogs fan in the 70's when I saw Turvey run rings around the opposition. Will always be the best player I've ever seen. No one before or since Turvey can do what he did on the field - blinding acceleration to regularly score tries/break the line from dummy half, chip and regather, best cover tackler of all time, great passing and kicking game. Absolute match winner, incomparable leader and won 4 GF - a bulldogs record and far superior GF record to many great HB including "immortal" Johns, "future immortal" Thurston, Stuart etc.
As bad as our side has been for nearly a decade imagine being a dogs supporter from 1943 to the late 1970's where they didn't win a GF. We won half of our 8 GF during Turvey's 13 years because of this great man. My prayers are with you Steve Mortimer - the real immortal of rugby league.

I could not say it any better

EDIT: I could not say it as well

Haza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Poor fella has been suffering from this for a while now.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If a player stays down for a head injury they should be off for 10 mins for testing, the player who made the infringement should be off for the same amount of time plus 10 minutes (unless it is a send off offence or an offence where the ref instantly stops play due to the high contact) , an interchange will be made by both sides, however the team that receives the penalty receives a free (both on and off the field).

Only once a team runs out of interchange will they loose a player on the field.

This will stop players milking penalties, and stop teams from being down a few players early on.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
People been saying it since before the Andersons came in?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We've known he's not been well for a while. All the best to him and his family. It's a horrible illness that takes a huge toll on everyone.

My Grandfather deteriorated rapidly because of dementia.. Hopefully Turvey and his family have better luck..