Opinion Kyle Flanagan needs to be dropped, Bring back Lewis

ricko_29

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why does he always put a bomb on the 5th tackle if no one is contesting it? Averillo did everything to keep the momentum going but our dumb players shut it down quick.
It's a Desball high percentage play, put the bomb up and meet the catcher with a full line of defence. WHO WOULD DARE go for the ball, THAT MIGHT CREATE A GAP, oh no!

The 2 full seasons of Mbye doing it made me fucking sick, he would land it on the 10 metre line everytime as well even if we were 20 points behind, because you wouldn't dare give away a 7 tackle set..... It's plays like this that have plagued our side for years and promotes a loser mentalitly, you need to take risks sometimes, especially when you are losing

Moey91

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We should have chasers at least putting genuine pressure on the catcher, if not contesting ourselves, also need good depth on the kick to give the chasers a chance.
Exactly. Flanagan kicks the bomb and oppostion catch it and run to the 30m mark because we’re too slow or just don’t bother contensting it.

Averillo kicks it high and Holmes drops the ball and gives the Doggies the ball back. Like I said Averillo kept the momentum going but our players shit it down with rookie mistakes.

Moey91

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a Desball high percentage play, put the bomb up and meet the catcher with a full line of defence. WHO WOULD DARE go for the ball, THAT MIGHT CREATE A GAP, oh no!

The 2 full seasons of Mbye doing it made me fucking sick, he would land it on the 10 metre line everytime as well even if we were 20 points behind, because you wouldn't dare give away a 7 tackle set..... It's plays like this that have plagued our side for years and promotes a loser mentalitly, you need to take risks sometimes, especially when you are losing
Our defence is shit when it comes to that, they just run all over us and we can never tackle them by the legs. We need forwards and the ability to defend better.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
He's an organising half who has a rookie running 5/8 outside him and a forward pack getting bashed every week.
No doubt he's made poor decisions but he's on a steep learning curve with not much on field support around him.
Flanagan still has more upside than Lewis, need to persist with him.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Who do you play instead lol....
1. Averillo
6. Lewis
7. Flanagan
9. JMK / Topine
Against the Sharks hopefully

El_Magic

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's an organising half who has a rookie running 5/8 outside him and a forward pack getting bashed every week.
No doubt he's made poor decisions but he's on a steep learning curve with not much on field support around him.
Flanagan still has more upside than Lewis, need to persist with him.
Not arguing the first part, completely agree. But i actually think Lewis has more upside at this point. He can at least tackle and looks hungry. Flanno looks uninterested and so far out of his depth. His body language shows absolutely no confidence whatsoever

RichoDog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We can’t do any worse giving Lewis a go Avo looks lost he is clearly not the 5/8 next year so why doesn’t Baz try him at Centre? Hoppa is just so slow I feel sorry for him. Lewis can be erratic but at least he plays like someone who wants to win, half these guys seem too comfortable with losing it has become an acceptable outcome

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Since its not a sport anymore and just a business run for betting purposes, fkn treat it like a business.

Fuck off employees that don't do what they are paid the big bucks for and find employees that do.

No fucking loyalty in the business. Only loyal ***** are us fans.

DogDays

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Bellamy could coach Flanagan and it wouldn't make a difference. He's just shit. Robinson is a great coach and Flanagan played in a rep team and was still garbage. He's just useless and Averillo outshines him regularly now.

Lewis is average but at least he plays with confidence, energy and gets involved. Flanagan should be dropped and shopped as soon as possible because he's not FG standard and never will be.
I don’t agree. He showed promise at the Sharks and had some nice touches at the Roosters. Go back and have a look at the tapes. Sure, Roosters are stacked with talent and I know that helps. We don’t have that type of talent. But he is looking inept out there...

I think a top coach absolutely would make a difference.

Honestly, Coach Barrett has to take some responsibility here. Come on, Flanno a has spent the pre season and the first 6 rounds with us and this is what he produces? WTF

As a former international 5/8, you’d think Barrett would have a couple of tricks up his sleeve???

We’ve been sold a lemon. And it’s Barrett I’m referring to. FFS, the media hype around his signing was phenomenal - I am convinced he one of Gould’s “prodigious” coaching prospects (AKA one of his good mates).

How does a club decide to embark on a mammoth “rebuild” and choose a coach with a 39% win rate? I encourage you to go back and read the media, watch the various footy shows - he was sold to the dogs via the media.

I am not saying we should sack him (yet) but getting the best out of these players is his core job. He is not doing anywhere near that right now.

You could employ Terry Lamb to coach these guys - same result. So why Barrett?

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flanno doesn't seem to have much at all. Gets himself into shit positions at first receiver, even when he has time. His runners haven't got a clue what he's doing. He's easy pickings for defences at the moment and doesn't even have a plan A, let alone a plan B. He should be on notice at least.

Malpass

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Totally agree ...then hasler introduced running the ball on the last close to the try line and getting caught 5 m out instead of trying to getting repeat sets instead of rolling the ball into the in goal .used to shit me up the wall.

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We should have chasers at least putting genuine pressure on the catcher, if not contesting ourselves, also need good depth on the kick to give the chasers a chance.
The thing is, every Bomb was put down Feldt's wing. He did drop one, but he is so good under the high ball and our winger down that side only comes up to his shoulder. No contest. Dumb choices.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think our problem isn't so much Flanno but it's Averillo in the halves.

Averillo is way too quiet and does not get involved enough. It's like he is too scared to make mistake rather than backing himself. Lacking confidence maybe but I think he needs to go back to Mounties and find his game.

Sure, Flanno isn't at his best but he isn't getting assistance from Avo or our forwards. Though, I am a bit critical at Flanno and lack of organisation. We look lost at times. He needs to open his mouth more and lead the team. I'm not seeing him shouting and pointing where he needs his runners for the next play. But he also needs a halves partner on the otherside to do likewise and he isn't getting that support. But he is our #7 and he needs to step up.

Look, when Nathan Cleary was injured a few weeks ago Lui stepped up and ran the team. Like they never missed a beat. Flanno needs to show he is capable of the same thing or the criticism in the future will be warranted. But I am not going to hammer him now. He needs more go forward from our pack and assistance from his halves partner. In saying that when we have made it within 20mtrs of the try line there needs a lot more organising from him instead of our forwards taking it up on the last. That is on his shoulders.

Malla

Reaction score
Seriously if you think dropping Flanno is going to solve anything you are as stupid as you look.

Our issue is our middle forwards and hooker. We are soft as the froth on a cappuccino through the middle.

And also Averillo is not a half. Does not take any pressure at all off Flanno. Yes Averillo is a good player, but more a fullback or centre. Not a half.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Seriously if you think dropping Flanno is going to solve anything you are as stupid as you look.

Our issue is our middle forwards and hooker. We are soft as the froth on a cappuccino through the middle.

And also Averillo is not a half. Does not take any pressure at all off Flanno. Yes Averillo is a good player, but more a fullback or centre. Not a half.
How can you still make excuses for Flanagan though? We had so much ball in their 20 and he kept taking the wrong option, throwing passes behind players or settling for inside balls, putting up a useless, nothing up and under or couldn't even get a grubber in behind the line for a repeat set several times.

He also shows no vision and never runs it himself. We easily could have scored a few tries in the first half if we had someone of Burton's quality playing. It's obvious that Flanagan is holding the team back.

Last edited:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Bellamy could coach Flanagan and it wouldn't make a difference. He's just shit. Robinson is a great coach and Flanagan played in a rep team and was still garbage. He's just useless and Averillo outshines him regularly now.

Lewis is average but at least he plays with confidence, energy and gets involved. Flanagan should be dropped and shopped as soon as possible because he's not FG standard and never will be.
Who are your halves this week then if you're dropping Flancake