News Barrett blasts Bulldogs' failure to stick to plan

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Listening to Baz' presser...if he doesn't make at least a few changes, then his credibility suffers some serious tarnishing.

Cupboards pretty bare but there's players there that need a wake up call if only to lay down some standards.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
He's taking a bit of a hit bc his signings aren't performing either.

That's causing fans to question his ability to actually pick quality bc we had enough project players already.
Hes done well with recruitment as a whole so far and there appears to be more to come. The good thing is it doesn’t appear he’s paid overs for anyone.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
He's playing favourites with Waddell too. Doorey should at least be in the 17 and tbh starting over Waddell. That's a mistake Barrett made at the start of the season and now 3 rounds in it's obvious and if he doesn't change it well...
I don’t think Doorey working on his game is Reggie’s is a mistake. Whilst he has a lot of up side compared to Waddell and will take the position eventually his defensive reads and lateral movement were not great and Waddell is only there cause Baz can trust him to make his tackles and work hard. In a very young inexperienced team I don’t think brining more inexperience is the answer straight away. I’m sure Doorey will get a chance soon enough.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Barrett confirms what every coach prior to him have also said: "when we do get down there to execute what we’ve practiced and we didn’t" he is just saying the same old thing we've heard for five years.

Players have had it too easy for too long. Time they were paid on performance.

Perhaps we need a psychologist instead of a coach.
They should also include zumba lessons after each training session because our lazy players are the least fit in the comp.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The issue is see is that we seriously lack any squad depth.

Hooker position is a clear weakness, adding to that we've got a long-term injury there. Who do we fall back on?

Lack go forward in the props. But who can we possibly fall back on?

Backs lack in quality. But who do we fall back on?

Things need to change, but what scares the shit out of me is that there's really no one banging on the door to play first grade.

Lewis to play at 5/8? Deitz at hooker? Oku perhaps 12 games in? Thompson 5 games in?

We're in for a world of pain tbh as I don't see that much hope in new players. Bring in some youngsters perhaps? Something needs to be done for sure, but what? Or better yet, who?
Well Tas

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Is Ava allowed to come up from Mounties? He’s in the Top 30 now isn’t he? He’d be getting a bench spot for mine...

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Hes done well with recruitment as a whole so far and there appears to be more to come. The good thing is it doesn’t appear he’s paid overs for anyone.
Who is performing atm tho?

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
‘I don’t know why they are always negative about the 6 again , the reason it’s introduced is because the players ans coach take the piss and blatantly break the rules to Slow the play the ball . Follow the rules and no 6 again
Agree, it’s been a positive move, we are seeing more footy with all the rule changes, it used to be frustrating with untimed scrums and penalties taking 2-3minutes because they all want a drinks break and a good breather... the changes made AFL change their rules because our product is ultimately better.

What it also does is bring the little guy and speedsters into the game... we almost lost them because the game at one point was being taken over by giants.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been a staunch Hoppa supporter but he does not have the pace or lateral movement to play centres and this should be his last season with us. It is either wing or NSW cup for the rest of the season
Yes Hoppa is far too slow for the backline. I'll say try him at hooker because our current ones are duds as at least he has a passing game and as Cam Smith has shown you don't need to be fast or strong to be a top hooker. You just need to be quick between the ears and Hoppa has better footy brain than JMK and whatever the other guy's name is.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been a staunch Hoppa supporter but he does not have the pace or lateral movement to play centres and this should be his last season with us. It is either wing or NSW cup for the rest of the season
Hoppa never came back with any reliability after his injury last year. Put in some shockers towards the back end.
His slickness in attack which was his strength seems to have eluded him. His positional play in centre defense is causing issues for all wingers that have played outside him thus far. Can possibly play cotric on the right and see if potency improves there with flanagan cotric and dwz.
Severely weakens the left side however.
Does Allen play left centre with Meaney outside and maybe Lewis inside at 5/8. Yikes but such is our pool to select.

Costa84

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Barrett appears too timid in coaches box... I bet it's the same with the playing group.

I don't expect any players being dropped.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Cotric looked good last year too.
Stats are very solid this year too playing in a new position & new team lacking experience and still finding their way.