News Matt Burton wants out

Apex Cedar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the new changes and expected quickness of the game. Do you think Katoa could keep up and play for 80 minutes to a hi standard? I like the side but. Maybe a Smith type on bench could cover back row hooker or center if needed. But I don’t know who to drop from you side
I reckon he would last looks like he has trimmed down the kilos and looks really fit

Reactions: ATT

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol apparently I was making shit up ‍♂‍♂
Well technically he’s not in blue and white yet and by the sounds of it it’s still not a done deal. And you did disappear when the Burton situation went a little quiet and returned as soon as something hit the news. So I don’t blame everyone for thinking you were making shit up

GreenTurd

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So it will be as easy playing behind our forward pack as the Panthers? LOL
No about Burton, if he’s as good as he is in my head he’ll stand out in any team. My head is pretty messed up though [emoji23]

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Corey
2. Averillo
3. Hop
4. Cotric
5. Dwz
6. Burton
7. Flanagan
8. Atoni
9. Jmk
10. Thompson
11. Jackson
12. Rfm
13. Elliott
14. Hetherington
15. Napa
16. Waddell
17. Doorey
Strongest line up IMO and top 4 potential. Avo can cover injury in the halves and if outside back goes down throw a back rower out there
I would put Meaney in place of DWZ, he has better hands and a lot more speed other than that looks like a top 8 squad to me

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Elliott was our best forward last year and you want to bench him
and he was recently re-signed by our current coach for ~450k a year. No chance he's on the bench and like you said he's our best forward.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it happens it happens. Would be good to cement our halves [pairing for the next few seasons now. But it's still a valuable commodity for Penrith to have an extra quality half as back up. If it were us in their position I wouldn't want to release a good option to benefit another team. I was annoyed that we let Reimis go for nothing in return when we aren't stacked with quality backs. So I can see why they're sticking to their guns. Doesn't mean I'm happy about the situation, but I understand Penrith being reluctant to let him go.
We have always released player early if they didn't want to be with us no matter how good they were, prime example Barber, Klemmer, SBW, Mason, Anasta, just to name a few,

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I feel we may lose Averillo if he doesn’t get a permanent spot in the 13. Burton is still unproven and has legitimate hype but Averillo has so far lived up to the hype and is on basically every teams radar.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was expecting something like this to happen. You can only imagine how pissed he would have been to find out Laurie got an early release, and that he now has more competition for the centre spot - a position he doesn't even want to play in. On top of Spoonman's news that he and his parents had a meeting with Ivan before Xmas about an early release, it looks like he has finally lost patience and gone to the media........about friggin time

Now that it is public this is great news for us. Off the top of my head I can't think of an example where a club has denied an unhappy player an early release (although I'm sure TK will give me a million examples). The point is MOST of the time the club will give in and eventually release him. Knowing Penrith they'll probably do it at 5PM on March 12

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Well, this seems like an escalation of the situation. Media, with named sources. This seems intended to force Penrith's hand. They either have to let Burton go, or publicly have potentially endless stories about having an unhappy player in their midst - which becomes an unnecessary distraction. From past observations, clubs tend to capitulate to the player's wishes at this point, or soon after. Maybe some more good news on the way, soon.

Last edited:

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I was expecting something like this to happen. You can only imagine how pissed he would have been to find out Laurie got an early release, and that he now has more competition for the centre spot - a position he doesn't even want to play in. On top of Spoonman's news that he and his parents had a meeting with Ivan before Xmas about an early release, it looks like he has finally lost patience and gone to the media........about friggin time

Now that it is public this is great news for us. Off the top of my head I can't think of an example where a club has denied an unhappy player an early release (although I'm sure TK will give me a million examples). The point is MOST of the time the club will give in and eventually release him. Knowing Penrith they'll probably do it at 5PM on March 12
JAC and the storm lol BOC and the Storm

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
if Burton is released for 2021, perhaps a left edge of Burton at 6, RFM as the left sided back rower, Averillo at left centre and Cotric at wing

back in the early 90's, in order to accommodate Daley and Fittler in rep teams, one would play five-eighth and the other centre and there would be a certain amount of interchanging between the two... I doubt it would work at club level week in, week out or with two such inexperienced players like Burton and Averillo... and I don't trust Averillo defensively at centre