Big Tech Battle Brewing

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Been a few times and every time it gets worse... dirtier, shabbier and more run down. Looks like they've run out of money to maintain the place.
See here we are talking about the nt and look what
Happens
Police have established a crime scene in Darwin’s northern suburbs after a body was discovered in a small creek.
Darly Somers won't let you ever forget about the nt even at the cost of a life.
I need to contact Scott baiooooooo!!!!!!!!! He will uncover the truth

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
It happens so often that I am doubtful it's all "co-incidental"...but I do love a "believable" conspiracy theory.
It’s not co-incidental but I’m not trying to be alarmist. It’s exactly why Apple are making an iOS update with user choice about what gets shared and what doesn’t. You can be sure Android won’t follow suit.

Anyway, makes no difference: once we’re all microchipped to stop the fake virus we will be towing the lines of our masters :tearsofjoy:.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
See here we are talking about the nt and look what
Happens
Police have established a crime scene in Darwin’s northern suburbs after a body was discovered in a small creek.
Darly Somers won't let you ever forget about the nt even at the cost of a life.
I need to contact Scott baiooooooo!!!!!!!!! He will uncover the truth
I'm also waiting for Scott's opinion before deciding.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It’s not co-incidental but I’m not trying to be alarmist. It’s exactly why Apple are making an iOS update with user choice about what gets shared and what doesn’t. You can be sure Android won’t follow suit.

Anyway, makes no difference: once we’re all microchipped to stop the fake virus we will be towing the lines of our masters :tearsofjoy:.
Wait till allzz finds out there's wifi dildos

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I've never understood about these giant tech firms is why aren't they in competition with each other, isn't that the bedrock of capitalism? These firms never seem to step on the other's turf or try to undercut each other or steal their clients even, yet they all make billions?

I don't personally have a social media footprint, but I'm glad these companies are being scrutinised.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
What I've never understood about these giant tech firms is why aren't they in competition with each other, isn't that the bedrock of capitalism? These firms never seem to step on the other's turf or try to undercut each other or steal their clients even, yet they all make billions?

I don't personally have a social media footprint, but I'm glad these companies are being scrutinised.
Take too much time, effort and capital to reach into different sections and compete. They would rather wait for someone else to start something and for whatever reason it takes off (e.g Whatsapp), then they just buy out the smaller companies and they have an in road that's already popular.

Problem is the small ones (which are eventually bought out) don't eventuate that often

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No don’t have a speaker haven’t searched anything but how is there an ad for what I was just talking about?
I've seen documentaries on hacking that show that any bit of technology that can pick up wifi can be hacked, including smart TV's etc. So it probably wouldn't be that much of a stretch to the imagination that people that can profit from advertising would run programs that would utilise any potential speakers available. And I don't know how many times I'm asked to sync all my devices which I'd assume would allow them to target advertising to the relevant device if any linked device picks up a keyword.

Phones and messenger apps. Keywords can be picked up with virtual assistants enabled - so if you have Siri, Alexa or Hey Google enabled (RIP Cortana :tearsofjoy:) or anything you type into FB messenger or WhatsApp. Recently WhatsApp changed their EULA to say they could share data with Facebook - and millions abandoned WhatsApp within days. I don’t have Facebook but a mate told me someone messaged him and mentioned the word ‘headache’. Before he knew it ads from Panadol appeared on his Facebook.

They’re constantly looking at ways to surveil to increase revenue. I’m not 100% opposed to it nor some privacy freak Luddite - but I do think there’s some lines they shouldn’t be able to cross.

There’s a book called ‘The Age of Surveillance Capitalism’ for anyone who’s interested in the topic.
I'm going to have to look up that book.

Without putting too much thought into it, google wants me to store my numbers there for backup, there are a few apps that want to transfer data to the cloud.

I've never been willing to activate any microphone related searches on my phones or computers. Doesn't mean that they don't activate on their own. And I don't recall who it was (though I think it was Steve Jobs) but it was a picture of a tech giant who had sticky tape over the camera on his PC. So if someone like that doesn't trust his device and it's security platforms from blocking hackers etc, theres no reason I'd think my puny PC is going to be safe.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I've seen documentaries on hacking that show that any bit of technology that can pick up wifi can be hacked, including smart TV's etc. So it probably wouldn't be that much of a stretch to the imagination that people that can profit from advertising would run programs that would utilise any potential speakers available. And I don't know how many times I'm asked to sync all my devices which I'd assume would allow them to target advertising to the relevant device if any linked device picks up a keyword.

I'm going to have to look up that book.

Without putting too much thought into it, google wants me to store my numbers there for backup, there are a few apps that want to transfer data to the cloud.

I've never been willing to activate any microphone related searches on my phones or computers. Doesn't mean that they don't activate on their own. And I don't recall who it was (though I think it was Steve Jobs) but it was a picture of a tech giant who had sticky tape over the camera on his PC. So if someone like that doesn't trust his device and it's security platforms from blocking hackers etc, theres no reason I'd think my puny PC is going to be safe.
There’s common sense provisions to take for sure.

My company gave us a gizmo that attaches to your laptop to block the webcam as needed as tricks now exist that your camera is active without a light on.

At the very least you’re saving yourself from the humiliation of a nude Zoom :-).

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting times indeed. The collection of data is probably the biggest moneymaker a company can have these days. Collect user data, know your target markets likes and dislikes, their habits ect and you can optimise your marketing and influence their behaviour on a number of levels. Facebook, google and other tech giants are really just data collection companies that will then sell this information to other companies looking for insight and it’s making them big money with little regulation at the moment. Highly recommend watching the social dilemma on Netflix if you haven’t already. Obviously take it with a pinch of salt but there is some pretty scary and interesting points made in that doco about big tech influencing our everyday lives and how they use us and our data

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
No don’t have a speaker haven’t searched anything but how is there an ad for what I was just talking about?
Couple of things it could be:

1) microphone on your phone is listening to you

Or

2) coincidence

It's odd that it would be a coincidence but there has been a little research into it. They generally find that it comes down to 3 things:

1) your patterns dictate who you are. If you're thinking about buying cat food and an advert for cat food comes up, that's because the algorithms know you

2) they also know who you're connected with. Generally if the algorithms pick up that your partner is thinking of going to NT and they know you are connected then you'll get related advertising

3) a broken clock is right twice a day. This is also know as the number 23 effect (from the movie 23). If you think that the number 23 is stalking you then you'll see the number 23 everywhere. If you think about buying a Toyota then you'll see adverts for Toyota everywhere. What you won't notice is the 10,000 other adverts for different vehicles