News Staggs to test market

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Rising Broncos superstar to test the market - but it’ll cost NRL rivals $700k to poach him

Young gun Brisbane Broncos centre Kotoni Staggs will test his value on the NRL’s open market next week with rival clubs tipped to need in excess of $700,000 a season to convince him to leave Red Hill.

Staggs, 22, is regarded among the most damaging young centres in the NRL and was consistently one of the Broncos’ best players despite a lean 2020 for the club.

The Broncos centre is expected to be ruled out until at least Round 10 this year after undergoing off-season surgery on an ACL injury sustained in Round 20 last year.

But the injury issue won’t stop rival NRL clubs from pitching to convince free agent Staggs to sign with them for 2022.

Staggs’ agent, Isaac Moses, has emailed clubs asking them to signal interest in speaking with the Broncos centre via Zoom next week.

Moses is set to be deregistered by the NRL but is still allowed to go about business as usual until the NRL Appeals Tribunal hands down a final verdict on how long he is rubbed out for.

To convince Staggs to even consider leaving the Broncos, rival clubs are expected to need to offer in excess of $700,000 per season.

Staggs was signed by the Broncos as a teenager playing for Wellington in country NSW and scored 10 tries in 14 NRL appearances last year to be Brisbane’s top tryscorer.

New Brisbane coach Kevin Walters views the X-factor centre as a huge part of the Broncos plans beyond this season and aims to retain the Wellington junior.

Kotoni was probably the Broncos best player last season and we certainly see him as being a crucial part of our future plans at Brisbane,” Walters said.

“We understand players may want to test their value on the market but we’re also very confident with what the Broncos can offer as a club.”

As always, Staggs isn’t the only young gun player on the Broncos’ roster who has caught the attention of rival clubs.

Xavier Coates handled the State of Origin arena on debut for Queensland last year and has already met with Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy and new Nroth Queensland coach Todd Payten about 2022.

The Gold Coast Titans have also recently expressed an interest in signing Coates.

Then there is young gun backrowers Jordan Rikki – who made his NRL debut last year – and Brendan Piakura, both guaranteed to be heavily targeted by rival clubs.

Walters told Fox Sports the Broncos will be fighting hard to retain their young gun talent.

“We want to keep all of them,” the Broncos coach said.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I just about busted a nut reading this.

Cut hoppa and meaney loose. You will see 600-650 from hoppa
And 300kish from meaney.

Give staggs 800k get him here.

Absolute gun and completes our backline for years.

Allan
Jac
Staggs
Cotric
Okonbor/Dwz (Dwz off books year after freeing up big $ again for upgrading who who needs it or a decent pay cut if he finds form again as he would be wing only)

Napa goes with c Smith, britt, Lewis and jmk.

Add minimal wage/juniors promoted. Sign b Smith and a hard promising like guler.

Sorted for years and a genuine threat!

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Should we worried about that ACL injury though in regards to his pace/acceleration?

Where’s that figure come from? I doubt he’s on much more that 300k right now

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
No idea it’s a fox article.

He’s a nsw kid and a fucking beast.

I’m hoping jac has some connections with the backgrounds and nsw reps etc.

Fucking imagine him cotric and jac in the backline with Allan...... Flanagan burton. We just need b Smith and our 1-9 would be Fucking fantastic despite who we rotate to the other wing.

A hard prop to go with Thompson and hetho and atoni.

It’s certainly so able with hoppa Napa jmk Lewis britt c Smith Katoa etc off contract. Dwz year after.

Lines up with what the guy who spoke to Arthur said too with b Smith and staggs as our major targets.

I would love this one so much not just for the freak and ability he gives us but mates that are broncos fans would Fucking lose it. They all Love him. Rightfully so. Reminds me how it was for us with barba and them Haha ! Revenge pleaseeere

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
All my hard out Broncos fans saying he’s a liability on defence’

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Nervous he’s Going. Their entire squad was a nightmare.
Covering the fucking flops
Like Milford Croft etc.

Let’s be serious soon as a good player goes/potentially goes the shit that flows.

One mates a storm fan said all jac is good for is if he’s put into space.

If haas left they would say he’s overrated etc.

The ***** a freak ffs. Sour grapes.

Sign him asap. I really hope he wants
To go to nsw and what was said by Arthur to the other poster about staggs and b Smith is true. That’s 2/3 we need and a promising prop to bend the line really gives us what we need
For a force.

If Thompson and hetho step
Up and Renouf kicks on maybe we don’t need that. Though hoppa and Napa can go and b Smith and staggs in for sure with the other cash out of jmk Lewis and any of means Britt smith etc making it up!

Staggs stays there the same Fans will be throating his big toe!!!

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rising Broncos superstar to test the market - but it’ll cost NRL rivals $700k to poach him

Young gun Brisbane Broncos centre Kotoni Staggs will test his value on the NRL’s open market next week with rival clubs tipped to need in excess of $700,000 a season to convince him to leave Red Hill.

Staggs, 22, is regarded among the most damaging young centres in the NRL and was consistently one of the Broncos’ best players despite a lean 2020 for the club.

The Broncos centre is expected to be ruled out until at least Round 10 this year after undergoing off-season surgery on an ACL injury sustained in Round 20 last year.

But the injury issue won’t stop rival NRL clubs from pitching to convince free agent Staggs to sign with them for 2022.

Staggs’ agent, Isaac Moses, has emailed clubs asking them to signal interest in speaking with the Broncos centre via Zoom next week.

Moses is set to be deregistered by the NRL but is still allowed to go about business as usual until the NRL Appeals Tribunal hands down a final verdict on how long he is rubbed out for.

To convince Staggs to even consider leaving the Broncos, rival clubs are expected to need to offer in excess of $700,000 per season.

Staggs was signed by the Broncos as a teenager playing for Wellington in country NSW and scored 10 tries in 14 NRL appearances last year to be Brisbane’s top tryscorer.

New Brisbane coach Kevin Walters views the X-factor centre as a huge part of the Broncos plans beyond this season and aims to retain the Wellington junior.

Kotoni was probably the Broncos best player last season and we certainly see him as being a crucial part of our future plans at Brisbane,” Walters said.

“We understand players may want to test their value on the market but we’re also very confident with what the Broncos can offer as a club.”

As always, Staggs isn’t the only young gun player on the Broncos’ roster who has caught the attention of rival clubs.

Xavier Coates handled the State of Origin arena on debut for Queensland last year and has already met with Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy and new Nroth Queensland coach Todd Payten about 2022.

The Gold Coast Titans have also recently expressed an interest in signing Coates.

Then there is young gun backrowers Jordan Rikki – who made his NRL debut last year – and Brendan Piakura, both guaranteed to be heavily targeted by rival clubs.

Walters told Fox Sports the Broncos will be fighting hard to retain their young gun talent.

“We want to keep all of them,” the Broncos coach said.
He was in my opinion, outside of the period he was injured & getting back to match fitness the best centre in the NRL over the last couple of years.
We paid Cotric $650 a season as a centre untested at NRL level....Staggs should he a no brainer at $700-$800/season. As for all the ons & offs to the squad mentioned by others here.. including adding a top class hooker & prop make complete sense.
Bring him into the pack!!!! Let's EEFING TROT!!!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He was in my opinion, outside of the period he was injured & getting back to match fitness the best centre in the NRL over the last couple of years.
We paid Cotric $650 a season as a centre untested at NRL level....Staggs should he a no brainer at $700-$800/season. As for all the ons & offs to the squad mentioned by others here.. including adding a top class hooker & prop make complete sense.
Bring him into the pack!!!! Let's EEFING TROT!!!
We can't afford to spend 800k on another back, he will move for less.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I believe we absolutely can for someone like staggs.

Two straight forward reasons.

Hoppa and meaney out.

Staggs, minimum in.

Another view, hoppa last year now. Dwz next. That’s 1.3ish right there. Staggs + 500k? That’s Jacs reported figure so we can get a winger plus $$$ aside for wherever.

B Smith in. Napa and Lewis out. Minimum wage to even roster.

Jmk, britt, c Smith out. A decent prop and some depth signings back in.

It is all workable which makes sense why old mate said Arthur said it and to be honest if you want to go through our roster and be honest for contending with a title those 2 (b Smith, staggs) are a huge step. With them I have no doubt top 4 with jac cotric burton flano Allan Thomson etc etc.

Fucking love him at 700-800k and genuinely believe worth it.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I agree. $700k is Moses seeing who bites.
If it’s true he doesn’t rate Walters he’ll go anyway.
We have several backs off contract end of 2021 so there’s roster and cap space but that doesn’t mean taking the bait. Attracting talent is no longer an issue.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I believe we absolutely can for someone like staggs.

Two straight forward reasons.

Hoppa and meaney out.

Staggs, minimum in.

Another view, hoppa last year now. Dwz next. That’s 1.3ish right there. Staggs + 500k? That’s Jacs reported figure so we can get a winger plus $$$ aside for wherever.

B Smith in. Napa and Lewis out. Minimum wage to even roster.

Jmk, britt, c Smith out. A decent prop and some depth signings back in.

It is all workable which makes sense why old mate said Arthur said it and to be honest if you want to go through our roster and be honest for contending with a title those 2 (b Smith, staggs) are a huge step. With them I have no doubt top 4 with jac cotric burton flano Allan Thomson etc etc.

Fucking love him at 700-800k and genuinely believe worth it.
Doesn't matter who leaves form that lot, we just aren't spending that sort of coin on another outside back. He isn't worth that coin anyway and in reality it won't take the sort of coin to bring him over if he actually wants to sign with us.

We would literally have 3/5 outside backs on more than a single player the spine lol..not happening.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I agree. $700k is Moses seeing who bites.
If it’s true he doesn’t rate Walters he’ll go anyway.
We have several backs off contract end of 2021 so there’s roster and cap space but that doesn’t mean taking the bait. Attracting talent is no longer an issue.
Of course his manager is fucking Moses :tearsofjoy:

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Doesn't matter who leaves form that lot, we just aren't spending that sort of coin on another outside back. He isn't worth that coin anyway and in reality it won't take the sort of coin to bring him over if he actually wants to sign with us.

We would literally have 3/5 outside backs on more than a single player the spine lol..not happening.
Yep and that’s fine (b Smith if signed would be similar) other 3 Aren’t worth it and by time they are able To command it as I said Jackson, Dwz etc off.

Anyway will see.

Arguably best centre in game. Young. Only thing against him is the injury. Will get that $700k easy. We have hoppa on 6ish for sure. Napa’s on 650k.... ffs holland was 400k (yes old shit management) though point is plenty of clubs would jump at him and he’s worth 7 easy in my books.

Let’s see. All I know is if we land staggs and b Smith I won’t have body fluids left after the jac one.

Even one and I’ll probably need to ice my balls.

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yep and that’s fine (b Smith if signed would be similar) other 3 Aren’t worth it and by time they are able To command it as I said Jackson, Dwz etc off.

Anyway will see.

Arguably best centre in game. Young. Only thing against him is the injury. Will get that $700k easy. We have hoppa on 6ish for sure. Napa’s on 650k.... ffs holland was 400k (yes old shit management) though point is plenty of clubs would jump at him and he’s worth 7 easy in my books.

Let’s see. All I know is if we land staggs and b Smith I won’t have body fluids left after the jac one.

Even one and I’ll probably need to ice my balls.
He's good but still has plenty of deficiencies in his game...shouldn't be the highest paid centre in the game.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Yeah. Find it a little strange that everyone's pining for another outside back? Spent big money on Cotric & JAC plus added Allen. Surely it's better to invest in a top hooker, prop and ball playing second rower?

I'd put all three of those positions well above the need to sign another back especially at 700k plus!