News NRL announces rule changes to make game more entertaining

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can anyone here actually remember the last 40m+ field goal they saw (in league), or even a serious attempt?
I remember Andrew Willis from Wests kicking one from almost halfway against Norths back in the day. Go to 1:22:25 or the first comment has timestamp.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Why are they altering rules every year......................... its shocking simplify the game not make it more confusing. Disgraceful
Couldn't agree more!!! Its fucking complicated enough as it is, and the refs can't get the calls right already. I swear they are just finding ways to disguise refs biases. If they just simplify the rules and make sure the refs get them right, then the game is exciting enough!!!

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I remember Andrew Willis from Wests kicking one from almost halfway against Norths back in the day. Go to 1:22:25 or the first comment has timestamp.

Did he have helium in that ball!? That is the ugliest 50m dropkick I've ever seen!

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never seen a sport change rules as much as the NRL does. Every single year they make changes, then make more throughout the season. No wonder no one knows what's going on half the time.
Yeah its shocking.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me guess .... the Roosters are not allowed to cheat the Salary Cap anymore with 3rd party agreements.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jesus they just can not stop fucking with the rules, every year they've got to change something. Two point FG is ridiculous. If I were to change the points in anyway at all I would make a try worth 5 points. A try should be worth more than a couple of penalty goals.

Also worrying that Vlandy's invites 4 coaches and players from Easts, Melb, Souths and Canberra to his little committee to suggest rule changes. Of course they are going to go for rules that suit their team and be dismissive of ones that don't. Every club should get an equal say, not just the chosen ones.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Teams will be too scared of giving away 7 tackles to be doing it too often. I can’t see it changing things too much.
Exactly. Plus can it be any more boring than just putting up a midfield bomb!!!

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The rule about if the trainer stops play for an injured player, he must be interchanged. This is a good one, as stops teams milking it with fake injuries

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can anyone here actually remember the last 40m+ field goal they saw (in league), or even a serious attempt?
Only the best one I saw, Craig Polla Mounter's in the 1998 Prelim final on the full-time siren vs Parramatta. I was sitting in front of the posts and couldn't tell if it went over the cross bar. Very exciting though and we were celebrating when the players picked him up. Here's a great video of it the field goat starts at 2.14 but the whole thing is worth watching.

Last edited:

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Unless its the shoulder charge rule being abolished then nothing else could make the game more entertaining imo.
I agree, They should have heavily penalised/ suspended those who got it wrong. And in gladiatorial , at times brutal contact sport, why can’t 2 blokes punch each other ? Penalise the Sam Thaiday types who run in punishing blokes in the back escalating it in to an all in brawl. The crowd got as excited and cheered as much for a punch up as they did for a good try .
They are constantly changing and adding rules to make to make the game more entertaining, I don’t see how making field goals worth 2 points achieves this or anything else.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Do they want to turn it into Rugby with more field goals? Who is entertained by field goals? They're the reason why everyone hates golden point. Most halves struggle to kick them unmarked from 20 out let alone from 40 plus.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Do they want to turn it into Rugby with more field goals? Who is entertained by field goals? They're the reason why everyone hates golden point. Most halves struggle to kick them unmarked from 20 out let alone from 40 plus.
An extra point for a team scoring a try from there own 20 would make the game more entertaining and less predictable. Teams would attack from the 20 metre restart. Rather than the predictable 5 hit ups and kick for field position, teams might be more innovative with set moves, with attacking kicks and generally getting the ball moving more and in the hands of the exciting try scorers before the last tackle. 2 point field goals won’t have any effect on the entertainment value or excitement level in the game

Last edited: