News NRL announces rule changes to make game more entertaining

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The clubs that were on the rules panel get a head start knowing how to adjust their style of play to the rules they created. Blatant unfair system.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you find yourself 40m out on the last, the kick option is a midfield bomb. With 2 points now on offer from that range it's a no brainer to put training into that kick. It's low percentage because 1 point hasn't been value effective and the training hasn't been focused on that kick - not because it's impossible, northern hemisphere union has taught us what a drop kicking half can do at that range.

It has to travel a further 10m to go dead, not an automatic 7 tackles on a miss
Union balls are made fatter and are a lot easier to drop kick so that adds to the degree of difficulty as well. Even a miss that doesn’t go dead can be dangerous as you can’t get a straight defensive line to chase like a ordinary kick. Anyway time will tell I guess.

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I’m not sure too many teams will take random shots for 2 points from 40 out. Even if you nail the distance, but you miss then opposition come back to the 20 for a 7 tackle set. It’s a low percentage play and probably only used in desperation.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I still can't fathom the 2 point field goal option. Who thinks of this shit?

The other changes are all designed to speed play up more when it was too fast and too momentum based after last years changes. Making it even faster will truly make it touch footy and lead to even more blowouts than last season.

They're fucking with the rules so much, the sport is becoming more and more unrecognisable from what it's been for the last 30 plus years.

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The drop goal thing isn't going to make the game more exciting. Teams will just be launching dumb drop goals if they're 40+ out
Agree, instead of that useless bomb from the halfway it's gonna turn into kick and hope drop goals, dum new rule and while I'm at it, that set restart shit is even worse, the amount of set restart on tackle zero or one is ridiculous

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Probably Bunji. What's next, tries off kicks are worth 3 points?
I reckon tries off kicks should only be worth 3 points, that would be a great idea IMO. Kicks that hit the ground first before a try is scored should still be worth 4 points ie: a grubber (they require quite a bit of skill). But fucken kick-and-hope bombs that some 7 foot gorilla catches on the touchline and falls over the line to score is just utter shit IMO, there is nothing great about them. RL is a game where tries scored through the hands should be encouraged and rewarded whereas basketball-type alleyoop kicks need to be discouraged.
Would love to see that in all honesty.

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the farcical 6-again rubbish stays? In theory, I don't mind the rule, I just didn't see any consistency in any game with how it was used. I guess that also means we'll be hearing even more of that f'en 6-again buzzer. And the 2 point field goal thing just seems like a pointless '20-20 cricket' like gimmick.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Mark my words...next RL tactic for 2 points from Sticky and Bellamy :grinning:

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Mostly a bit of fiddling around the edges. The 40+ metre field goal being worth 2 points could be interesting. Do we have any sharpshooters?
Someone needs to tell the experts the care-takers of the game...
Clean out the game of the crook & dud referees
Then and only then the game will again become THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL !!!

Last edited:

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Queensland wont win origin if they have to touch the ball with there foot. Refs dont do anything about it but so why implement it.
It's always the repeat offenders. I can't recall Asofa-Solomona ever playing the ball with his foot or even attempting to, he just walks over the top of it and gets away with it. But then the refs will ping some other bloke for a one-off infringement. It shits me to tears.
JWH is just as bad.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's always the repeat offenders. I can't recall Asofa-Solomona ever playing the ball with his foot or even attempting to, he just walks over the top of it and gets away with it. But then the refs will ping some other bloke for a one-off infringement. It shits me to tears.
JWH is just as bad.
Sharon Woods is maybe the worst at it too. Like everything they'll crack down on it excessively in the first few rounds and then they'll allow everyone to play tunnel ball again for the rest of the season as they don't want correct play the balls slowing down their Rugby Sevens vision for the code.

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
These new rules might suit us as we don’t have too many big fellas. Katoa and Ogden may struggle though...unless Baz is already looking at fading Katoa out.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I still can't fathom the 2 point field goal option. Who thinks of this shit?

The other changes are all designed to speed play up more when it was too fast and too momentum based after last years changes. Making it even faster will truly make it touch footy and lead to even more blowouts than last season.

They're fucking with the rules so much, the sport is becoming more and more unrecognisable from what it's been for the last 30 plus years.
About all that's left to change now is the name of the game. The games ratings had dropped off in 2019. Not sure about this year.

But rather than change rules to make the game exciting. They should be making it recognisable to the long serving fans for a start. Secondly they need to fix refereeing.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What the hell do the NRL want, 42-38 score lines? There's no reward for good defensive teams in this code.