Official Matt Burton to join the Bulldogs in 2022

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nah I really felt for the Tigers fans that was shit.

Mutually breaking of a contract isn't a contradiction to the Burton situation. We can cover wing with Staines and Naden. If Luai and Cleary are both in origin camp we are screwed. It's a matter of practicality not emotion. As of 2022 we'll be able to fast track a young bloke from the next batch or if the dogs had a reasonable back up half (I'd legit offer Lewis on minimum).
You are spot on the Panthers are going to do what is best for them. It's professional sport and this talk about doing what is ethically or morally right is kind of strange.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I might be wrong but are you referring @DinkumDog to the (Skelsies) shit hole near the mechano lights from 3+decades ago that use to have beach theme nights...? If you are, I am suddenly having flash backs of single mothers, eighty's music, and 3am salmonella dogs with dead horse while fighting for a cab...:tongueclosed:
I could not describe a more perfect night Baz :-).

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The more it gets said the more I'd be tempted on a 1 year minimum deal for 2021. I've seen fans say Lewis would make a good centre as he's a good defender and he wouldn't have to manage the game without the responsibility of half. Maybe not Wakeham though.
Make it happen buddy. Honest truth he's a future immortal. Check his match winning performance where he scored a try, saved a try and kicked the winning field goal. Even the great Sterlo rates him. Direct swap between reserve grader Burton and living legend Lewis is Christmas early for Penrith.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Nah I really felt for the Tigers fans that was shit.

Mutually breaking of a contract isn't a contradiction to the Burton situation. We can cover wing with Staines and Naden. If Luai and Cleary are both in origin camp we are screwed. It's a matter of practicality not emotion. As of 2022 we'll be able to fast track a young bloke from the next batch or if the dogs had a reasonable back up half (I'd legit offer Lewis on minimum).
If you keep using logic you'll upset people around here...
Panthers gain nothing from releasing Burton, so long as he's still getting development there's no harm in him staying there.
Alternatively, he comes over and gets 20 games or so under his belt with Flanagan and begins to form combinations.
For Burton to be in blue and white in 2021 it'd either involve sending Lewis / Wakeham the other way and paying for them, or, taking Mansour / Whare at full freight.
Out of the two options, I'd love to see Lewis in Panthers gear, Burton in the Doggies 6 jersey and one of our development players upgraded to the top 30.

ElMagic92

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Mansour was told he wouldn't be first choice but the club would honor the contract or allow him to leave based on what he wanted to do. There's a big difference. They were up front about their intentions of promoting Staines while giving Mansour the freedom to look for a contract elsewhere if need be. Tamou spoke about having to make room for the young talent when he left to go to the Tigers. It happens.
Im sure the $$$ the Tigers threw at him helped ease the burden too lol

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I might be wrong but are you referring @DinkumDog to the (Skelsies) shit hole near the mechano lights from 3+decades ago that use to have beach theme nights...? If you are, I am suddenly having flash backs of single mothers, eighty's music, and 3am salmonella dogs with dead horse while fighting for a cab...:tongueclosed:
Hahahaha that’s the place mate. Old pink building. Not sure what’s there now

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You are spot on the Panthers are going to do what is best for them. It's professional sport and this talk about doing what is ethically or morally right is kind of strange.
People are emotionally invested. Can't blame dogs fans for wanting it done and done now to improve the roster.

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Im sure the $$$ the Tigers threw at him helped ease the burden too lol
Tigers offered 2 years we could only do 1 which is what he wanted.

If you keep using logic you'll upset people around here...
Panthers gain nothing from releasing Burton, so long as he's still getting development there's no harm in him staying there.
Alternatively, he comes over and gets 20 games or so under his belt with Flanagan and begins to form combinations.
For Burton to be in blue and white in 2021 it'd either involve sending Lewis / Wakeham the other way and paying for them, or, taking Mansour / Whare at full freight.
Out of the two options, I'd love to see Lewis in Panthers gear, Burton in the Doggies 6 jersey and one of our development players upgraded to the top 30.
Honestly they should float the idea of Lewis. We'd stick him in reserve grade as back up and you guys clearly don't rate him. I wouldn't have an issue playing him once or twice a year as a fill in until our juniors graduate.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
People are emotionally invested. Can't blame dogs fans for wanting it done and done now to improve the roster.
Of course I’d love to have him now but I just don’t think we have any bargaining power unfortunately. I think the only way it gets done is if Burton pushes hard for it and I’m not sure if he is the type to carry on in the same way someone like Klemmer did with us.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I understand Penrith's stance, taking the high moral ground by forcing Matt to see out the final year of his contract and I have no problem with it. I understand necessity, but Penrith's high stance will cost this kid at least a year of first grade experience hindering Burton's potential progress and at least $330,000 in potential earnings all because of someones pride and what may happen during the year.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I understand Penrith's stance, taking the high moral ground by forcing Matt to see out the final year of his contract and I have no problem with it. I understand necessity, but Penrith's high stance will cost this kid at least a year of first grade experience hindering Burton's potential progress and at least $330,000 in potential earnings all because of someones pride and what may happen during the year.
I think It’s a balance between a number of factors but none less then what club do Penrith what to be perceived as? Extremely professional with high standards that can’t be compromised I.e you sign a contract then you honour it.. but also that club known to be a hard ass and always put their on field performances before anything else... the latter may upset player managers.. there is a lot to shift through before making any decision. I guess Penrith could always ask us to pull out of the race to sign Leniu if they give Burton up a year early. There is a lot they could ask us to do considering they hold all the chips.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Penrith will be one of the favourites if not the fav for next season. To some winning premiership with your mates means a lot. Especially if they are young and believe they still have lots of opportunity to make money in future. May be the urgency is not there for burton to push for early release.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yes the old pink place just down the hill as you pass through mechano lights.
I remember going to that dump very late in the night,last stop lol
Think it’s been flattened years ago.
Haha it was such a dump. Half the people there wouldn’t have even noticed if it was bulldozed while they were inside

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They don't have to let him go, they're going to have to weigh up if its worth keeping him around because he doesn't want to be there.

No one wants to play for 100k when they know they could be getting 350k more else where with a full time gig.

Personally I'm just happy he's signed.

As long as Baz doesn't run Lewis out at 6 ill be somewhat happy haha.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think It’s a balance between a number of factors but none less then what club do Penrith what to be perceived as? Extremely professional with high standards that can’t be compromised I.e you sign a contract then you honour it.. but also that club known to be a hard ass and always put their on field performances before anything else... the latter may upset player managers.. there is a lot to shift through before making any decision. I guess Penrith could always ask us to pull out of the race to sign Leniu if they give Burton up a year early. There is a lot they could ask us to do considering they hold all the chips.
In the end it will all come down to whether Burton will remain 100% focused and committed to Penrith. You say Penrith are holding all the cards, they are really not. No club wants a player in their ranks that does not want to be there. Penrith can flex their muscles and pound their chest all they like, they can enforce all the rules they like, some may see this a being professional, while other will call it being petty, cruel and shortsighted even bad sportsmanship. Their actions can also have an adverse effect on the playing group with so many players still unsigned. The Dragons have just let Saab out of the remaining two years of his contract after denying his request earlier. I put it to you that there is no moral high ground in business these days only posturing and that Burton will be at the Dogs for the 2021 season.......Of cause it all up to him and his manager to instigate it.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
In the end it will all come down to whether Burton will remain 100% focused and committed to Penrith. You say Penrith are holding all the cards, they are really not. No club wants a player in their ranks that does not want to be there. Penrith can flex their muscles and pound their chest all they like, they can enforce all the rules they like, some may see this a being professional, while other will call it being petty, cruel and shortsighted even bad sportsmanship. Their actions can also have an adverse effect on the playing group with so many players still unsigned. The Dragons have just let Saab out of the remaining two years of his contract after denying his request earlier. I put it to you that there is no moral high ground in business these days only posturing and that Burton will be at the Dogs for the 2021 season.......Of cause it all up to him and his manager to instigate it.
There’s nothing to suggest Burton is banging down the door to leave though? Even if he’s not 100% focused they just sit him in reggies for the year as he isn’t chewing up much cap space. I really can’t see how Penrith not releasing Burton early is somehow bad sportsmanship? He’s signed there for 21.

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Burton is forced to stay at Penrith and doesnt put in, thats a red flag to me. Seems like a good kid, will really show his character. We obviously want someone who has the drive regardless of the situation, this is a professional sport after all.