Official Matt Burton to join the Bulldogs in 2022

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trent Barrett, and the allure of working with one of the greatest sports coaches of all time (Steve Hansen) plus a 1st grade starting position.
Banking $8k - $10k a week
Let's not forget and please correct me if I'm not mistaken but we are a club on the move.
That must be one he'll of a exciting proposition, when you compare what Penrith are offering.
He can be apart of a rebuild that come 2025 we lift the cup. I don't think with all the coaching recruitment the total facelift of our board, a near billionaire who wants his son on the board as a sponsor.(give me a minute as I have to clean up all the juices I just spilt in all my excitement) that that is not too far from the truth.
If your a salesman you have a he'll of a case to make...
If I were Burton I need to ask myself but one simple ???
Do I want to be apart of this movement and play 1st grade next year . Or play 6 games 20-30 minutes a game, possibly as a utility forward, with no guarantee that next year we head in a new direction. Hansen could bring a top rugby half and this door slams shut.
Fuck if I'm Burton there is only one answer
"Where do I sign"
You fucken bueaty go the Doggies
According to the people in the know on TK, Burton has already signed or agreed to join us 3 weeks ago (which is around the time he started following us on IG) but the club is waiting until after Origin to announce it. Its pretty annoying that we have to wait because I'd rather get confirmation ASAP.

Hopefully the other player we've signed is Naden

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Trent Barrett, and the allure of working with one of the greatest sports coaches of all time (Steve Hansen) plus a 1st grade starting position.
Banking $8k - $10k a week
Let's not forget and please correct me if I'm not mistaken but we are a club on the move.
That must be one he'll of a exciting proposition, when you compare what Penrith are offering.
He can be apart of a rebuild that come 2025 we lift the cup. I don't think with all the coaching recruitment the total facelift of our board, a near billionaire who wants his son on the board as a sponsor.(give me a minute as I have to clean up all the juices I just spilt in all my excitement) that that is not too far from the truth.
If your a salesman you have a he'll of a case to make...
If I were Burton I need to ask myself but one simple ???
Do I want to be apart of this movement and play 1st grade next year . Or play 6 games 20-30 minutes a game, possibly as a utility forward, with no guarantee that next year we head in a new direction. Hansen could bring a top rugby half and this door slams shut.
Fuck if I'm Burton there is only one answer
"Where do I sign"
You fucken bueaty go the Doggies
Nice spiel, you convinced me to come out of retirement and lace up the boots again. Just show me where to sign :tonguewink:

But if I was Burton, I would think that it all sounds very appealing. First grade spot, decent money for his limited first grade experience, chance to become part of something big, the chance to become the face of the Bulldogs. There are a lot of positives involved for the kid coming here.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Game time in his preferred position and a lot more money. The only real question is it us or someone else. I really can't see him staying at Panthers unless they force him to see out his contract and he'll be on the move anyways for 2022. It also makes no sense to follow us on Instagram unless he's trolling. I hate waiting for an announcement and I'm not sure what Origin has to do with it since he isn't apart of it, maybe it's more over getting a release for 2021.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Why the delay until after SOO?

Honestly, the way I see this is that the club is trying to secure maximum coverage for what will be a big announcement ... a double announcement by the sounds of it. Why do it when the SOO is the main coverage in papers atm?

I mean, you look at the most marketable sports teams in the world, they reveal signings in ingenious ways to get maximum exposure, and do it at certain times of the day / week etc. It's the norm actually, so the club delaying making an announcement till the back pages are 'free' for our news seems like a smart business decision.

I'm sure Laudry would be happy because it means his name & brand will be in more pages, and seen by more people. And it'll also see our brand generate more positive publicity.

No brainer to wait imo.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Why the delay until after SOO?

Honestly, the way I see this is that the club is trying to secure maximum coverage for what will be a big announcement ... a double announcement by the sounds of it. Why do it when the SOO is the main coverage in papers atm?

I mean, you look at the most marketable sports teams in the world, they reveal signings in ingenious ways to get maximum exposure, and do it at certain times of the day / week etc. It's the norm actually, so the club delaying making an announcement till the back pages are 'free' for our news seems like a smart business decision.

I'm sure Laudry would be happy because it means his name & brand will be in more pages, and seen by more people. And it'll also see our brand generate more positive publicity.

No brainer to wait imo.
I think it's more because they're still negotiating whether he'll get an early release or not. Penrith have no incentive to do so early so negotiations to get him for 21 are being dragged out.

Add to that, they want to see that Cleary and other Penrith players get through Origin unscathed and are trying to work on upgrading several other players in their squad. I'm sure in the next week or two everything will become much clearer.

dogsballs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
According to the people in the know on TK, Burton has already signed or agreed to join us 3 weeks ago (which is around the time he started following us on IG) but the club is waiting until after Origin to announce it. Its pretty annoying that we have to wait because I'd rather get confirmation ASAP.

Hopefully the other player we've signed is Naden
People keep claiming this but Baz said only the other day that Burton needs to decide where he wants to be in 22,23 first, did t sound like he’s singed at all yet to me.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People keep claiming this but Baz said only the other day that Burton needs to decide where he wants to be in 22,23 first, did t sound like he’s singed at all yet to me.
Mate I know. One day I'm 99% convinced he's signed and then the next day I'm 50-50 based on Baz's comment. I just want this shit sorted one way or another. In saying that I can't imagine he hasn't made his decision yet but unfortunately we're just the last to know. Unfortunately with Nashweed still in the sin bin we can't get the good oil from his insider - the Indian janitor

Anyway, if Assassin said it's a 99% done deal, I'll trust the bearded assassin...as we know, Middle Eastern men are the most trustworthy c***s on the planet, so I take him at his word

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone trawled the panthers forum to see if they have any info?

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Mate I know. One day I'm 99% convinced he's signed and then the next day I'm 50-50 based on Baz's comment. I just want this shit sorted one way or another. In saying that I can't imagine he hasn't made his decision yet but unfortunately we're just the last to know. Unfortunately with Nashweed still in the sin bin we can't get the good oil from his insider - the Indian janitor

Anyway, if Assassin said it's a 99% done deal, I'll trust the bearded assassin...as we know, Middle Eastern men are the most trustworthy c***s on the planet, so I take him at his word
Just passing on info from a source that 9 times out of 10 has been spot on.

PS he never mentioned anything about after SOO, just that 99% we have him for 2022 but penrith playing hardball for 2021 release.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Imagine how stupid Penrith would look if they released Burton on Tuesday and Cleary popped an ACL on Wednesday? That would never happen, would it? A name pops into mind, Green wasn’t it?

Go Dogs
This is 100% true and I hadn't thought of that. Someone mentioned it previously actually in a reply to my post? Can't remember who, but it's very true and a good explanation of why we haven't announced him yet.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Naden has apparently signed with us 2 year deal
If this is true....great signing. He is a strike centre with plenty of pace that can go 70 or 80 metres to score if he gets into the clear. Unlucky to be dropped from the grand final side and he provided a spark when he came on.

I am sure Tbaz and the coaching staff will iron out any defensive issues.

Great signing if true and a definite improvement to our side